The Bucs should cut/trade Winston and trade for Bridgewater.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Cutting Winston is insane, and trading him while his stock is in a valley isn’t a great move either. But he seriously needs to grow up. 

I don’t know the specifics but it was either rumored that there be a significant savings on their cap or that there was 160M guarantee that the Bucs would be liable for in between now and sometime next year. If any of this is accurate then cutting him would be more about the money and responsibility than anything else. It’s kind of like what McBeane did with Dareus. When all things are equal and the money is heavy then the player has got to go. Again, I’m only suggesting that a move like this could be about the money/contract as well.

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Really? Is Winston a top #15 QB? No... Top 20? debatable by some.  So he's probably in the bottom third of the league which is poor. Is Bridgewater an upgrade? No one knows but he'd probably push Winston and be better than Fitz.

Jamis Winston has finished 11, 12 and 13 in pass yards the past 3 seasons. In 3 seasons he has thrown for 69 TD's vs 44 INT's. He also has two 4,000 yard seasons under his belt. Tampa's offenses under Jamis have finished 5th, 18th, and 9th respectively. Now there is a lot of context in those numbers as Tampa's record with Jamis as QB isn't that great (6-10. 9-7 and 5-11 respectively) and their defense has been pretty awful which certainly inflates stats esp passing offense stats.

But Jamis to me is without a doubt a top 20 QB at this moment and has potential to be a top 10 QB in the league. The off the field issues are certainly concerning but to say on the field he is a bottom third of the league QB is dishonest. I can name 12 QB's Jamis is better than. 

AJ McCaron, Joe Flacco, Bradford/Rosen, Keenum, Josh McCown/Darnold, Maholmes, Tannehill, Tyrod, Dalton, Trubinsky, Dak and Bortles are all QB's that are in my opinion worse than Jamis I will grant that you could argue Flacco and Dalton but I also think you could argue putting Jamis over Alex Smith, Mariota, Goff, Jimmy G and DeSean Watson all for various reasons. So I think the issue stems from him not being worth it off the field to risk a large QB contract and faith in a player that might give you headaches off the field. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Peyton Manning left Tennessee and they won A National Championship with Tee Martin.

touche - got me there.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Travis Henry and Jamal Lewis in one backfield that Tennessee team was bananas

The DL was Will Overstreet, John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, and the Skins' Bernard Jackson.

The Mike was Al Wilson.

My have things changed on Rocky Top....

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Jamis Winston has finished 11, 12 and 13 in pass yards the past 3 seasons. In 3 seasons he has thrown for 69 TD's vs 44 INT's. He also has two 4,000 yard seasons under his belt. Tampa's offenses under Jamis have finished 5th, 18th, and 9th respectively. Now there is a lot of context in those numbers as Tampa's record with Jamis as QB isn't that great (6-10. 9-7 and 5-11 respectively) and their defense has been pretty awful which certainly inflates stats esp passing offense stats.

But Jamis to me is without a doubt a top 20 QB at this moment and has potential to be a top 10 QB in the league. The off the field issues are certainly concerning but to say on the field he is a bottom third of the league QB is dishonest. I can name 12 QB's Jamis is better than. 

AJ McCaron, Joe Flacco, Bradford/Rosen, Keenum, Josh McCown/Darnold, Maholmes, Tannehill, Tyrod, Dalton, Trubinsky, Dak and Bortles are all QB's that are in my opinion worse than Jamis I will grant that you could argue Flacco and Dalton but I also think you could argue putting Jamis over Alex Smith, Mariota, Goff, Jimmy G and DeSean Watson all for various reasons. So I think the issue stems from him not being worth it off the field to risk a large QB contract and faith in a player that might give you headaches off the field. 

The Bucs OL is really bad.  That's a big part of the problem.  Lovie Smith was doing a good job keeping Winston focused.  Why they canned Lovie is beyond me....

The Uber incident has gotten very recent attention, but the actual offense was more than 2 years ago (March 2016). It felt like less to me, maybe because it’s just been in the news. Prior to that, the next most recent offense was the crab leg incident in July, 2013. That was more than 5 years ago, and really more stupid than evil. 

I’m not defending the knucklehead in any way, but if he’s really stopped drinking and turned his behavior around, NOW seems like a funny time to punish him (or the team). Very little has happened since making the decision to draft him so high. It seems there have been so many incidents that each one gets worse. The most recent thing I found was an article saying he told students males should be strong, and females quiet and polite (or something like that). Not too bright, but I wouldn’t lynch him for that.

If he starts taking his profession seriously, the Bucs will rue the day that they cut ties. They see him daily, and they can best judge where his mind is these days. 

(I hope the article I read had all this correct.) 

Having said all that, I fully realize you have to consider his cost and his play, along with his behavior. 

18 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

The guy is an embarrassment. There’s not always a starting QB available and the Bucs have an opportunity to get out from under that idiot while they can. 

Im confused...why do they need to cut/trade Winston to get Teddy?  Winston is out already, they could just trade for Teddy and see how he does before they make a commitment to Teddy being their starter by trading Winston.  

I actually think its a good idea to go get Teddy and see if he has future franchise starter potential still...but makes no sense to get rid of Winston for a guy no one knows if he can really play anymore.  Not to mention, Teddy wasnt that good before the injuries, he showed promise but he never really arrived yet.  

3 hours ago, LaDexter said:

touche - got me there.

The DL was Will Overstreet, John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, and the Skins' Bernard Jackson.

The Mike was Al Wilson.

My have things changed on Rocky Top....

The Bucs OL is really bad.  That's a big part of the problem.  Lovie Smith was doing a good job keeping Winston focused.  Why they canned Lovie is beyond me....

I think he got a raw deal but I think they fired him because they thought the OC was going a good job with Jameis, while Lovie, a defensive minded coach presided over a bad defense. So they figured what's the point of Lovie? Canned him and promoted the OC. If I remember correctly.

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If Allen had Winston’s numbers his first 3 years, we’d be ready to put him on the Wall. 

Not that you're wrong, in fact, I agree with you 100%, BUT!!!  Look at the slew of slap-happy D-bags we have had as quarterbacks over the last 20 years to compare him to.

21 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So they figured what's the point of Lovie? Canned him and promoted the OC. If I remember correctly.

The Glazer daughter was apparently really upset when the Bucs took Winston.  

I mean, really, you spend your #1 overall pick on a talented QB with character issues.  You have a coach that believes in him, and for year 1 everything is OK and the team clearly gets better.

Whatever the reason, Lovie should not have been fired.  It wasn't a performance issue, because he performed.  

Ever had a Princess mad at you for BS?

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/8/2018 at 11:04 PM, BillsRdue said:

that's not the worst idea. Winston has been pretty poor, but what will it take for the Jets to let go?  A 2nd?

My guess is how he plays this preseason is going to be the way to gauge his market. i’d hope for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Hope for a 2nd but be willing to accept a 4th.

8 hours ago, LaDexter said:

The Glazer daughter was apparently really upset when the Bucs took Winston.  

I mean, really, you spend your #1 overall pick on a talented QB with character issues.  You have a coach that believes in him, and for year 1 everything is OK and the team clearly gets better.

Whatever the reason, Lovie should not have been fired.  It wasn't a performance issue, because he performed.  

Ever had a Princess mad at you for BS?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I think Lovie was screwed.