Ever done a Bills game solo?

I should lead off by saying I am a former season ticket holder.  I've probably been to about 80 Bills games over the years, 32 straight at one time.  I will be going to the Titans game this year with some coworkers and the Bears game with my former season ticket crew.  This is  hardly a situation where this will be my one shot to see the Bills because I am passing through town. 

I was considering going to either the Jets or Lions December games this year but no one else wants in.  If the season goes the way we think it might I can probably score a ticket to either game for $10-15 (paid $12 for the snow bowl last year).  Despite no one else wanting to go to either game I think I still might. 

I imagine it will be a far different experience than I'm used to.  Usually the grills are fired up and beers cracked in Hammer lot around 8:15 AM every Sunday I'm at a Bills game.  But solo?  I wont be tailgating with my people.  I could see myself parking at one of the cheap house lots down the road and walking around all the lots to take in the experience of other tailgates.  Maybe get some good pictures of Buffalo doing what Buffalo does best.  As far as the game goes I have no problem sitting next to strangers and cheering on the Bills because really we're all family in the stadium.  Just a thought but I think it might be a different/good experience.  Anyone else ever done a game solo?  Any pointers for someone who hasn't?

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Like (+1) 2

For years I did the solo thing. Just like you said, I'd park and go walk around. I had tailgates I would stop at and visit people I knew, but never felt like I needed to stay at one particular tailgate until game time. And the benefit of being single, you can pick up that one odd ball seat any where in the stadium. 

• Like (+1) 2

Several times in 1978 and in 2004 watched them beat the Jets! I left Buffalo in 1979 so the game in 2004 was special and I really enjoyed just walking around; my family held season tickets from 1960 until 1990!

Years ago before I had season tickets we were playing the Steelers at home. Everybody I knew nobody wanted to go to the game. I couldn’t stand listening to Van Miller so I decided to go by myself. I bought a ticket outside from the fan who said he had an extra seat. I made my way to the upper deck and turns out I was sitting in the middle of about 60 Steelers fans.  They were pretty good-natured, but one fan sitting in front of me would turn around and hit me on top of my hat with his Steelers hat every time Pittsburgh did something good. Late in the game Kelley threw a crossing pattern to Reed who took it a long distance to the house. I took off my hat and smacked the fan in the back of the head, unfortunately Knocking the Steelers fans hat off his head, as he was in the front row his hat went over the ledge and down below. I thought I was dead, his friends all laughed at him, he gave me a nervous smile and let me live.

• Like (+1) 3

I’ve got a pair of season tix. Used to have others that would commit to multiple games a year but as the years have gone on I find myself going to multiple solo games a year. Too many friends have gotten new jobs, new families, new responsibilities. I won’t just give the extra tix to anyone because I generally hate people and can’t stand them for more than a few minutes at a time. But I have no problem having extra room to enjoy the game when that happens. Especially in the winter when everyone is bundled up like the kid from the Christmas Story. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I have went to patriot game first year rex Ryan was coach we were both 3 and 0 espn broadcasting from parking lot I flew in from Florida Saturday I purchased ticket on Thursday on the fifty row 4 on the patriots sidelines the first 2 rows were closed bill belicheat girlfriend Linda holiday was 3 seats over brady warming up with the deflator I talked so much trash directly to him I was basically first person seated he was warming up just the 2 of them no teammates or coaches must have been 20 feet from me he was not happy with me the first half we were down 28-0 or something every time he scored give me evil eye second half we got back in it down 5 with 5 minutes to go we got back in it because he wanted to score a hundred and I really believe because of my trash talk he turned it over a couple of times when they should have just ran the ball all the patriots fans around me were trippin about it saying just run the damn ball that was the only game in buffalo I've been to it was awesome would have been legendary if we won 

I've done plenty of games alone.  I'm going to my 3rd game in Baltimore alone on opening day.  Most of the road games I go to I'm alone.  I've also done road games alone in Philadelphia (2) and New England (a few, some I've gone with others, some alone).   I've been to 6 Super Bowls, 2 of them I was alone at. ( XXV in Tampa & the Denver/Seattle game in NJ where I drove down the day of the game).  The more expensive the game/trip, the more likely I can't get anyone to go with me.   

I gave up my seasons a few years ago because I couldn't get Petrino to go to more than 2-3 games a year & I didn't like being alone for more than half the home games, but a road game once in a while is still OK.  

38 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

For years I did the solo thing. Just like you said, I'd park and go walk around. I had tailgates I would stop at and visit people I knew, but never felt like I needed to stay at one particular tailgate until game time. And the benefit of being single, you can pick up that one odd ball seat any where in the stadium. 

51-3. My brother-in law (at the time) was supposed to meet me for the game but took sick. Largest crowd ever and the seat next to me was empty..

i think I may have helped Sis divorce hizazz..

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Yes you did and tailgate-vagrant as you were........unless I am mistaken we were always gracious hosts to your party crashing.

Some people forget things like that when they don't need something from you........but not you.......you are a fine solo citizen of these united states JJ!:beer:

One of my best games was solo  I flew in town and was picked up by my mother who also dropped me off at stadium. She lived on McKinley which is walkable if you do not mind walking and had an alternate pickup spot if I did not want to walk all the way.  It was a late in season game against the Fish and bought a cheap ticket outside of stadium. 

When I got to my seats I was next to a party of four Fish fans who were bundled up as if they were going on a northern Canada trip.  Game was okay with Bills playing well but making a few mistakes keeping Fish in game at halftime.  The Fish fans were not happy with performance and were jeering their team most of game.  At half time they started asking me questions about Bills and were civil on it and I replied in kind.  One of them offered me some excellent liquor which they had smuggled in under their oversize jackets which I accepted.  Second half of game Bills played better and cleaned up mistakes and won game. 

After game I was offered a ride since during talking I mentioned I was walking which I accepted.  We got to their truck (type with camper on back) and engine failed to turn over.  Dead battery probably since lights were left on.  I told them it would be impossible to get help now with cars lined up to get out and best to wait until parking lot cleared and hopefully you could flag one of the Bills people and get a jump and they agreed.  

Since we were waiting they pulled out the grill, took some steaks, fish (not store bought but fresh) and corn and started grilling offering me food which I accepted. They then asked if I wanted to play some card, small ante stakes, while waiting which I agreed.  We ate, drank beer (Canadian) and played cards for an hour or hour and half when I was able to flag down one of the Bills employees in a truck.  The battery was jumped and they cleaned up their camp and left.

I was given a ride to my mother's and one gave me a phone number in case I was in town for next Bills-Miami game.  Later on when I looked at it I realized the phone number unsurprisingly was Canadian. I did very well that day.  My gambling more than paid for ticket, I got good free food and drinks, the Bills one and got a free ride back.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yes. I do it all the time to see the Cowboys play. The other half isn't a fan of the NFL. I don't have any of  ""go to the game"" Cowboys family.  I have some friends that do the Standing Room Party Pass but that's not for me.

However I haven't gone solo to a Bills game. I have a Bills Family here on TBD and in the Red Pinto Tailgate to see games together. 

I went to a game solo years ago, when Flutie beat the Jags with the bootleg run.

We live in northern pa, and the other half at the time was attending a trade show in the Falls for the weekend.

We drove up Saturday morning, and I left Sunday morning to go to game, and she hitched back with co-workers.

I had no problem doing it alone, lots of people there for the same reason as you to converse with, drink beer, have fun, and watch the game. I would go alone again if necessary.

2 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I should lead off by saying I am a former season ticket holder.  I've probably been to about 80 Bills games over the years, 32 straight at one time.  I will be going to the Titans game this year with some coworkers and the Bears game with my former season ticket crew.  This is  hardly a situation where this will be my one shot to see the Bills because I am passing through town. 

I was considering going to either the Jets or Lions December games this year but no one else wants in.  If the season goes the way we think it might I can probably score a ticket to either game for $10-15 (paid $12 for the snow bowl last year).  Despite no one else wanting to go to either game I think I still might. 

I imagine it will be a far different experience than I'm used to.  Usually the grills are fired up and beers cracked in Hammer lot around 8:15 AM every Sunday I'm at a Bills game.  But solo?  I wont be tailgating with my people.  I could see myself parking at one of the cheap house lots down the road and walking around all the lots to take in the experience of other tailgates.  Maybe get some good pictures of Buffalo doing what Buffalo does best.  As far as the game goes I have no problem sitting next to strangers and cheering on the Bills because really we're all family in the stadium.  Just a thought but I think it might be a different/good experience.  Anyone else ever done a game solo?  Any pointers for someone who hasn't?

the last time i was there i got parked about 15 ft. from the door of a bar. i think was...tailgaters?. awesome place, where if i was alone, i would stroll the ....tailgaters, throw a couple of footballs..( i gotta a pretty spiral depending on how many beers i've had) and then take my gimpy 55 yr. old ass in the bar and kill myself with wings and beer while watching about 5 different big screens. that's my ultimate game going....not one for climbing 3 stories of leaping steps to stand in ankle deep pee just to about puke at what i see when i finally get a urinal or stall... not to mention paying  9 bucks for a beer that i'm gonna spill on the way back to my seat...if i can find it....jmo

edit: it may be totally different now, but i've been to a lot of games and i'm just at that age where the tailgating is the best and a dry bar with a sexy waitress trumps the wet/cold/stretching the bladder deal....plus i can hear the crowd.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Sad 1

I’ve been to several solo, and always had a great time. I’ve also gone “semi-solo”, where the hotel I was staying at was having an employee outing complete with bus and tailgate. That was AWESOME!  I learned to call and ask what game they were doing each year. Just write a check and all the work is done. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve been to several solo, and always had a great time. I’ve also gone “semi-solo”, where the hotel I was staying at was having an employee outing complete with bus and tailgate. That was AWESOME!  I learned to call and ask what game they were doing each year. Just write a check and all the work is done. 

cool

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes you did and tailgate-vagrant as you were........unless I am mistaken we were always gracious hosts to your party crashing.

Some people forget things like that when they don't need something from you........but not you.......you are a fine solo citizen of these united states JJ!:beer:

Yours was always my last stop before I would head into the stadium. You probably let me hang out since that one time I brought over two of the Jills before the game, and hoped one day it would happen again. 

I’ve gone solo a few times. The first time I went I was nervous I wouldn’t enjoy the experience as much as I usually do but that wasn’t an issue at all, once it was game day and the beers and food started flowing it was like any other time I went. At this point it honestly doesn’t make a difference to me if I go solo or with a group, either way I have a blast. 

3 hours ago, Rufridr101 said:

I have went to patriot game first year rex Ryan was coach we were both 3 and 0 espn broadcasting from parking lot I flew in from Florida Saturday I purchased ticket on Thursday on the fifty row 4 on the patriots sidelines the first 2 rows were closed bill belicheat girlfriend Linda holiday was 3 seats over brady warming up with the deflator I talked so much trash directly to him I was basically first person seated he was warming up just the 2 of them no teammates or coaches must have been 20 feet from me he was not happy with me the first half we were down 28-0 or something every time he scored give me evil eye second half we got back in it down 5 with 5 minutes to go we got back in it because he wanted to score a hundred and I really believe because of my trash talk he turned it over a couple of times when they should have just ran the ball all the patriots fans around me were trippin about it saying just run the damn ball that was the only game in buffalo I've been to it was awesome would have been legendary if we won 

How in the eff do/did I attempt to I read that.....wow.......me brain hurts!

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1