Position battles to watch in preseason game 1 vs Carolina

What about nickel corner? Shaq vs. Murphy? Harrison Phillips vs. Washington for the 3rd DT rotation? Siran Neal as a big safety possibility? Swing tackle battle? 

Let's be honest, there are a bunch of competitions that are going to have a huge impact on our season. It's the reason I'm looking SO much more towards the preseason than I normally do (it definitely isn't because I'm trying to distract myself from worrying about my thesis defense in less than a week. Totally...)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Haplo848 said:

What about nickel corner? Shaq vs. Murphy? Harrison Phillips vs. Washington for the 3rd DT rotation? Siran Neal as a big safety possibility? Swing tackle battle? 

Let's be honest, there are a bunch of competitions that are going to have a huge impact on our season. It's the reason I'm looking SO much more towards the preseason than I normally do (it definitely isn't because I'm trying to distract myself from worrying about my thesis defense in less than a week. Totally...)

Nickel is certainly one.  The reports from camp have been that it is level pegging in a relatively uninspiring competition between Johnson and Gaines thus far so I am hoping not only to see one guy grab hold of the job but also to do it on his own merits not the failure of the other.

Murphy won't play tomorrow. He is out with the groin. It is an opportunity for Shaq to stake a claim. When Murphy was healthy he was out there with the 1s and Shaq was with the 2s.  He has been with the 1s in Murphy's absence so there is an opportunity for him now and he isn't going to get too many more to make his mark as a Bill one suspects.  

I think Phillips is a pretty safe bet to be 3rd in the rotation - they have been working him both at the 1 technique and the 3 technique in camp. At this stage I think the competition is for that 4th spot.  Washington is probably still favourite but they brought John Hughes here at the start of camp and he has played some in this league and has a handful of starts.  Ricky Hately got some mentions early in camp too, though that seems to have faded.  

Siran Neal is clearly not seen as a viable big safety possibility at this stage - I think they see him long term as a guy who could play that hybrid linebacker / big nickel spot but when they have had three safeties on the field in camp (something they did 0% of snaps last year by the way) it has been Rafa Bush.  I think Neal is interesting to watch just in where they use him because he feels like he is a back end of the roster redshirt guy at the moment for 2018. 

Swing tackle is 100% up for grabs. They clearly wanted to develop McDermott for that role but he has been relegated to the 3s this week and now looks a long shot for the roster unless he balls out in pre-season. It looks like coming down to Marshall Newhouse (who they have also tried some at G) and De'Ondre Wesley but Ike Boettger is the outside on the rails and he shouldn't be counted out yet. There might legitimately be four men in this fight.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agree with Sal on:

starting centre (after QB this is the biggest battle)

No 3 RB - I think it is one of Cadet or Murphy. Special teams could well be a deciding factor.

WR - As I keep saying I think Holmes is safe but as that back end and core ST guy - the spots for guys to play a lot at WR are open and there is probably 3 to shoot for (though likely 2 once Coleman is full speed).

4th safety - I didn't have Marlowe having a shot now I have him as the favourite for that 4th spot. Going to be interesting. 

At Tight End however, I have to believe that O'Leary is safe. He performed well last season and he blocks better than most. I think the battle for the #3 job is real. Jason Croom is the leader in that particular clubhouse for me at this point on everything I have read and heard but I believe these games will ultimately determine who gets the job.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I hear there's a position battle going on at QB too that is vaguely important to the team's success.

:lol:

As Kirby keeps saying though it isn't a real battle. It's a battle for who takes the first snap v Baltimore (barring a Rex Ryan "watch this go for a touchdown" trick play).  The job is Josh Allen's job. The question is when, not if.  

9 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Thanks Yolo.  Good stuff as always. 

But is Ivory a lock to be RB2.  I'm thinking Cadet or Murphy could replace him.   I think it's an open backfield after Shady.  

Ivory’s contract is totally guaranteed. $2.5 Million I think. He’s going nowhere. He’s also having a solid camp.

Definitely going to watch Shaq and see if he's going to push for the starting job.   DT behind Kyle/Star/Phillips is wide open.   Be nice to see some WRs step up and do something.  

And I cannot wait to see that Allen kid.  And Edmunds.   

Oh and everyone please, remember last preseason???  Where White got beat like a drum regularly for 4 games???   Don't put stock in the preseason to an extent.   He really struggled, but once the season started IDK what they did but he went crazy.  

Edited by Soda Popinski

9 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Thanks Yolo.  Good stuff as always. 

But is Ivory a lock to be RB2.  I'm thinking Cadet or Murphy could replace him.   I think it's an open backfield after Shady.  

I saw a report from one of the guys watching camp that Ivory has looked really good and fast. I’m excited to see him play. But cadet and Murphy are different types of RBs ... almost like hybrid WR/RB

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw a report from one of the guys watching camp that Ivory has looked really good and fast. I’m excited to see him play. But cadet and Murphy are different types of RBs ... almost like hybrid WR/RB

Did Ivory lose a good amount of weight this offseason?  I think I remember hearing something like that but I do drink a lot so my memory is as reliable as Percy Harvin.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Definitely going to watch Shaq and see if he's going to push for the starting job.   DT behind Kyle/Star/Phillips is wide open.   Be nice to see some WRs step up and do something.  

And I cannot wait to see that Allen kid.  And Edmunds.   

Oh and everyone please, remember last preseason???  Where White got beat like a drum regularly for 4 games???   Don't put stock in the preseason to an extent.   He really struggled, but once the season started IDK what they did but he went crazy.  

Did he? I don't remember White getting beaten in pre-season.  You sure you are not confusing with Ronald Derby a few years ago? He did get beaten relentlessly in pre-season then come out and star as a rookie once the serious stuff started. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Did he? I don't remember White getting beaten in pre-season.  You sure you are not confusing with Ronald Derby a few years ago? He did get beaten relentlessly in pre-season then come out and star as a rookie once the serious stuff started. 

No it was white, he was beat for a couple of touchdowns in the preseason and quite a few receptions.  He was right there and it was very Darby-esque the way he struggled but when the season started he turned it on 

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

No it was white, he was beat for a couple of touchdowns in the preseason and quite a few receptions.  He was right there and it was very Darby-esque the way he struggled but when the season started he turned it on 

I honestly don't remember that. Maybe I have completely blanked it but in my memory he had a good pre-season last year. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I honestly don't remember that. Maybe I have completely blanked it but in my memory he had a good pre-season last year. 

there was a lot going on in the preseason last year, Watkins and Darby both gone, Matthews and Gaines both in, the boards were spinning out of control.   

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

there was a lot going on in the preseason last year, Watkins and Darby both gone, Matthews and Gaines both in, the boards were spinning out of control.   

I have just consulted my good night / bad night threads from 2017 - your 2018 series starts Friday morning TBD - be excited! I obviously saw it different to you at the time because I called out the starting secondary in my "good night" sections twice out of the first 3 pre-season games.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have just consulted my good night / bad night threads from 2017 - your 2018 series starts Friday morning TBD - be excited! I obviously saw it different to you at the time because I called out the starting secondary in my "good night" sections twice out of the first 3 pre-season games.  

maybe it was just my perception.