Interesting Astro Tweet re: Beane

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This is a well thought suggestion.

I wouldn't think it possible sans the Buffalo roots Mack has. I really, REALLY am against trading away our precious draft picks; I'm sure its a Whaley hangover of sorts. If they sign him as a UFA they will still have picks and they might be early ones at that.

If this club is finally managed correctly, we will soon have a winner.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

We already have a winner though, it happened as soon as Whaley left town. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I guess the Dolphin coach in 2016 'didn't play him right' either

As I said, Mack could be great. (please read my words). Just said the Mario and Mack threads resembled each other. 

So I take it you do want Mack.  You however make the Mario signing sound horrible then go on to compare the two as similar.  I guess I'm just confused about the way you delivered everything.

46 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If this is an option and we know this year isn’t going to be competitive, why not just try to sign him as a FA?  

With where our team will be with picks and cap space, why do it now when it could be easier later?

Wouldn't they franchise tag him? Then I believe you are still looking at giving up two first rounders.

I would love Mack...I just think we desperately need to upgrade the OL and WR and giving up the kind of draft capital that Mack would require, along with the massive contract, would greatly hinder our ability to upgrade the offense.

5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

So I take it you do want Mack.  You however make the Mario signing sound horrible then go on to compare the two as similar.  I guess I'm just confused about the way you delivered everything.

just saying the threads are similar, that's all. Not saying the Mario signing was horrible, just that when all was said and done, Mario didn't pan out the way everyone hoped. The enthusiasm, hopes and expectations on this site were sky-high, and ultimately were ,at least in my mind, unmet. If this whole Mack thing happens, I would welcome it and hope things go great. I'm really not comparing the 2 players, or predicting that the results will necessarily be the same.  Just remarking on how everybody was going crazy before we signed Mario, and it reminds me of what's going on now in regard to Mack.

His talent certainly is exceptional, but even if Allen is elite and Coleman finds new life, we are desparate for OL help . So I have to ask how much first. Also, he would replace either Murphy or Hughes or Shaq and they could be part of that trade too. Maybe we could put him at SSLB where we need to find Lo's replacement, but I think his talent is wasted there. I'd put him at RE (again, if we have enough free space to rebuild our OL.) 

46 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

One with a QB way better than anything the Bills have had since Jim Kelly, and the other with one of the greatest QBs of all time and headed straight to the HOF...admittedly at a time when his arm was completely shot.

But neither of those examples, IMO, demonstrate that an all-defense approach can work. 

Look at the Superbowl last year! Something like 1150 total yards of combined offense; 54 combined points; 874 combined passing yards....

This league isn't about defense.

Totally agree about last year. But come on Manning was the worst QB to win a SB and Wilson was not yet the QB he is now.  

You can win multiple ways in this league. Brady won his first two SuperBowls with defense.

A great QB helps but so far Rodgers has only one ring in part because the Packers defense is crap.

3 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

just saying the threads are similar, that's all. Not saying the Mario signing was horrible, just that when all was said and done, Mario didn't pan out the way everyone hoped. The enthusiasm, hopes and expectations on this site were sky-high, and ultimately were ,at least in my mind, unmet. If this whole Mack thing happens, I would welcome it and hope things go great. I'm really not comparing the 2 players, or predicting that the results will necessarily be the same.  Just remarking on how everybody was going crazy before we signed Mario, and it reminds me of what's going on now in regard to Mack.

Ok, I see what you're saying and it makes sense.  I do wonder what percentage of people would consider the Mario signing a success or a disappointment.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Saints used two 1st round picks to get Marcus freakin Davenport. You're NOT getting Mack for one 1st round pick. 

The poll should be "Should the Bills give up two 1sts and a 3rd for Khalil Mack?"...and even THAT might not get it done.

You’re out of your mind.  If any team offered two firsts for Mack, the Raiders would jump all over it.

Davenport is six years younger than Mack and will be playing for relative peanuts for at least the next four years.  Mack will be looking to sign a six-year deal for at least $18 M per year.  That being said, the Saints still got fleeced.

Edited by mannc

4 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Totally agree about last year. But come on Manning was the worst QB to win a SB and Wilson was not yet the QB he is now.  

You can win multiple ways in this league. Brady won his first two SuperBowls with defense.

A great QB helps but so far Rodgers has only one ring in part because the Packers defense is crap.

Yeah, you can still win a SB with defense maybe 10% of the time and the other 90% comes down to O, mostly passing. It used to be mostly about running and D. Also, I wouldn't dismiss the wins by Brady, Wilson and Manning. Peyton might not have had the best  arm any more, but he was probably the smartest QB of the modern era. He was very proud of his work ethic and preparedness. Also, NE's defense is usually good, but you dismis Brady too easily IMO.

On the other hand, the run game could make a comeback if the shortage of quality O Linemen were to end.

5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Ok, I see what you're saying and it makes sense.  I do wonder what percentage of people would consider the Mario signing a success or a disappointment.

i would consider it both. it was incredible that he chose Buffalo. then the contract was such that he could never be worth the money. there were amazing games and baffling disappearances. he was incredible with schwartz, horrible with ryan. he was quirky when we were successful, and a disgruntled diva when we weren't. it was the very definition of a "mixed bag". 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MPT said:

Obviously the better GM's will put themselves in good cap position to be able to work out necessary moves, but to say that a good GM can work out a contract regardless of his cap situation is just wrong. Numbers mean things. 

And numbers are malleable in the NFL. 

Adding a player like Mack would be great, but realistically I’m not sure he would add more W’s to our win column to justify how much we’d have to give up. Our biggest weakness is our offense. We need to determine if we have a franchise QB in Allen first. We need a #1 WR, OL help and we will need a replacement for McCoy soon. Do we really want to give up draft capital and that much cap space to acquire Mack? 

19 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

An extremely dominate D can win Super Bowls.  Ravens have done it, Tampa did with Trent Dilfer as QB, Steelers nearly made the super bowl Big Ben's rookie year on the back of their D.  

Yup. An extremely DOMINANT defense is what you'd need.