Interesting Astro Tweet re: Beane

19 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Probably, but part of the trade is the agreement to pay him what the Raiders won't so that is going to limit how much a team is willing to give up considering they are going to have to basically make him the highest defensive player in the NFL.

Anyways, here is the discussion by ESPN Reporter on Raiders Wire

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/07/espn-raiders-de-khalil-mack-could-be-a-trade-candidate/

The Bills don’t have the cap space this year. Even if they do there is still the risk that they again pay huge money to one player and the performance drops. 

If Jon Gruden is going to alienate his team's best pass rusher and publicly shame his best offensive tackle....I am really glad he got the Oakland job.  Have at it Chuckie...

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Even if we cant get Mack.....I would still like to be in on the Donald Penn trade.

With Dawkins and Penn book ending the OT spots...this group looks a lot better.

If Donald Penn is a consolation prize....I think I like this game. 

I'm enjoying these 19 pages as much as the next guy, but it's starting to sound too much like the Mario Williams threads before we signed him.. And we all know how that ended up. I'm not trying to compare the two players, just comparing the enthusiasm around the possible signing of each. There's the saying be careful what you wish for

The Saints used two 1st round picks to get Marcus freakin Davenport. You're NOT getting Mack for one 1st round pick. 

The poll should be "Should the Bills give up two 1sts and a 3rd for Khalil Mack?"...and even THAT might not get it done.

2 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I'm enjoying these 19 pages as much as the next guy, but it's starting to sound too much like the Mario Williams threads before we signed him.. And we all know how that ended up. I'm not trying to compare the two players, just comparing the enthusiasm around the possible signing of each. There's the saying be careful what you wish for

Mario was an extremely productive Bill registering 38 sacks in his first 3 years here.  Then Rex came in and we all know what happened after that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

It ended up great until we got a coach that didn't play him right. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Or, they have smart GMs who can maneuver around and work the cap to their advantage. 

This is what separates good GMs from bad ones.

Obviously the better GM's will put themselves in good cap position to be able to work out necessary moves, but to say that a good GM can work out a contract regardless of his cap situation is just wrong. Numbers mean things. 

If this is an option and we know this year isn’t going to be competitive, why not just try to sign him as a FA?  

With where our team will be with picks and cap space, why do it now when it could be easier later?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Seahawks and Broncos just did in the last 5 years. Not sure what you mean by slim odds

The Broncos would fall in that category, but not the Seahawks. Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch disqualify them from that list. 

35 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Seahawks and Broncos just did in the last 5 years. Not sure what you mean by slim odds

One with a QB way better than anything the Bills have had since Jim Kelly, and the other with one of the greatest QBs of all time and headed straight to the HOF...admittedly at a time when his arm was completely shot.

But neither of those examples, IMO, demonstrate that an all-defense approach can work. 

Look at the Superbowl last year! Something like 1150 total yards of combined offense; 54 combined points; 874 combined passing yards....

This league isn't about defense.

• Like (+1) 1

We would have to trade something of high value and then pay Mario Williams money to keep him. Honestly this money would be going to the wrong side of the ball. The story/player is really great, but the defense is already solid as is. The Offensive line and the WR need the investments right now or save it for the future. If Hughes was dropped then that money would make it somewhat bearable, but then we have dead weight on next years cap. Love Mack though. If we got him, I'd have his jersey by game day.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

One with a QB way better than anything the Bills have had since Jim Kelly, and the other with one of the greatest QBs of all time and headed straight to the HOF...admittedly at a time when his arm was completely shot.

But neither of those examples, IMO, demonstrate that an all-defense approach can work. 

Look at the Superbowl last year! Something like 1150 total yards of combined offense; 54 combined points; 874 combined passing yards....

This league isn't about defense.

...good point...harken back to the '85 Bears......legendary defense.....and the OFFENSE hung 46 on the Pats, Grogan and company......the 2000 Ravens with the prolific Dilfer were more of an anamoly IMO....

I for one would be loathe to trade away our draft resources for a linebacker, even a great one.

The truth is, an early pick would not surprise me after this season.  I would rather see the Bills draft an offensive tackle and a pass rushing defensive end with the multiple picks that it would cost for Mack.

If they do decide to trade for Mack I won't be furious mind you. It wouldn't be quite as stupid as trading for Sammy, but imo it would be counter productive in terms of building a winning team in the long and perhaps even short term.

28 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Mario was an extremely productive Bill registering 38 sacks in his first 3 years here.  Then Rex came in and we all know what happened after that.

...he certainly was in spite of it being a Brandon deal.....and then the Wrecks ruination...ironically, Mario's first stop when coming to talk with Buffalo was Jimbo Kelly's house.....keep in mind that Mario, a NC native, is an avid hunter.....Kelly was chomping at the bit because there were three or four deer in his backyard along with a bunch of wild turkeys (LOL, I saw the pics).....Mario finally shows up, signs with Buffalo and buys the house in the cul de sac across from Kelly out of foreclosure....

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

shoulda woulda coulda, yet the Bills  ended up paying about 67 mill of the 100 mill , 50 mill guaranteed contract for 3 years work (and remember these are 2012 salary figures). I'm just saying, things happen. Mack, if it happens , could be great, but the threads then and now share a certain resemblance.

So just to get this straight you don't want Mack because of what happened with Mario?

40 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It ended up great until we got a coach that didn't play him right. 

I guess the Dolphin coach in 2016 'didn't play him right' either

5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

So just to get this straight you don't want Mack because of what happened with Mario?

As I said, Mack could be great. (please read my words). Just said the Mario and Mack threads resembled each other. It's not whether I want him or not, it's that unbridled enthusiasm on this site does not always end as everyone thinks it will. PS-I'd probably want him, but realize McBeane knows more than I do. Que sera sera

Edited by lookylookyherecomescookie

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If this is an option and we know this year isn’t going to be competitive, why not just try to sign him as a FA?  

With where our team will be with picks and cap space, why do it now when it could be easier later?

This is a well thought suggestion.

I wouldn't think it possible sans the Buffalo roots Mack has. I really, REALLY am against trading away our precious draft picks; I'm sure its a Whaley hangover of sorts. If they sign him as a UFA they will still have picks and they might be early ones at that.

If this club is finally managed correctly, we will soon have a winner.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!