Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m actually a little afraid to try Fantasy Football. It can become quite the obsession! I don’t want to know as much about football as my son does. 

It’s funny, growing up in WNY I never really followed college football. After 30+ years living in the southeast it’s really grown on me, and if it’s NOT the Bills, I watch less NFL than I used to. 

YES! I moved down to Florida and I've been watching more football than I did in NYC. I even go to the Bills Backers of Brandon in Central Florida. Also, I watch so much College Football. My wife is not a happy camper from August to February.

8 hours ago, Pbomb said:

When you change coaches and gms every 2 to 3 years the rosters turnover increases alot. To say we are a farm team is ridiculous, we keep plenty of good players. All teams lose and dont resign some of their draft picks

Dont use common sense trying to explain things to Tier....your just gonna confuse him please

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am honestly just a bit surprised that Buffalo traded for Coleman, with some of his issues I’ve heard about (specifically not working hard enough, and things of that nature). 

Hes is not the prototypical McBeane player by any means. 

But it is very nice to see. Ive seen numerous people complaining/worrying that McBeane would never take a chance on any talented but flawed type players. 

This is shows that they will. 

Last year was about establishing the culture. Now it seems that they feel they have a strong enough locker room to take chances on a player like this (not that Coleman is some huge off field risk or anything) and try to turn him around. 

I agree... it will be interesting to see how he fits.  Having the team culture in place, he could come in and embrace the culture and thrive which would be a huge win.  Or if he comes in and doesn't fit, then we haven't lost much.  

I did some looking back at some old stories on his past, looks like he had a rough upbringing, but has some elements that could see him embracing the team culture here. 

https://www.ohio.com/akron/writers/browns-rookie-wide-receiver-corey-coleman-rose-from-violent-streets-forgave-imprisoned-father-on-inspirational-journey-to-nfl

He has a strong connection with NFL vet Ray Crockett who seems to be a good character influence IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have watched quite a bit of his highlights. Two things stand out. 1) is his speed. Fast feet, can run decent routes. 2) is, while he makes a good number of highpoint, contested catches, when he's got his man beat hands down and the ball is in the air, he's not a comeback to the ball type of guy. 70% of the highlights I saw showed him belly catching the ball, instead of coming back to snatch and run. With his speed, he needs to get the ball asap and be gone, without waiting, and gut catching it. 

All in all, great value for a 7th round pick in 2 years!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This PROBABLY did not really enter the equation because it was abundantly clear that we needed a talent and a speed upgrade at WR. But it's not out of the question that Beane and McD may be leaning to starting Allen sooner than later and they figured we better get this speed guy, whomever he is, in here quicker than later. 

I have always been on the start Allen early if he shows decent bandwagon, so this somewhat fits my narrative. And it's more because AJ and NP stink and our run game will be **** down more than Allen is great. 

Yeah I agree........they shouldn't have even entertained going into this season without a WR who can get open over the top of an NFL defense.

That is most likely going to be the throw that makes all else possible for Allen.

The threat of the deep ball creates separation possibilities on all other routes.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

For reference, we just drafted Austin Proehl in the 7th round. That's the kind of "talent" you usually get at that point in the draft.

So to trade a CONDITIONAL, FUTURE 7th round pick for the type of talent and speed Coleman has is awesome.

Over the first 16 games of his career, he has over 50 receptions for over 600 yards and 5 TDs.

If he does nothing else but provide a deep threat and help keep the defense honest, he's more than worth what the Bills paid.

If he does literally nothing and gets cut, the Bills have lost only a 7th round pick at worst. And even then, the trade was a CONDITIONAL 7th round pick, so if Coleman doesn't make the team, the Bills might not lose anything.

It's a scratchoff lottery ticket for basically free. Love it.

The Bills did take on his contract $'s which are guaranteed.

That being said it still is a good move by Beane.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I agree. For the average Joe’s out there going for a jog or tossing around the DUKE being hydrated and doing some stretching is usually enough. We have seen guys like Larry Fitz pull his hammy, elite athletes doing crazy things with their bodies isn’t foolproof.

Guys that have motivation problems do seem to suffer these types of problems at a higher rate though.

Coleman may have been that guy, a change of scenery could serve him well. 

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

What bugs me about that Common, and I know I am very naive about sports injuries, but hamstring injuries are ones that I just feel should never really happen.

Stretch to be as limber as a rubber band and hydrate like crazy.  

As naive as I am I DO KNOW I am over simplifying it, but still.

Happens to the best:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

I am...I want the playoffs again....all close games could go either way...that's why you need good luck once in awhile...Bills finally got some last year

Fair enough.

I will clarify that if we play well and luck doesn't go our way, but Allen and the young core look good, then I won't be too upset.

I'd prefer winning obviously, but if it looks like we will be winning a lot in the future I won't be too sad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The last player we got from the Browns worked out pretty well

You are absolutely correct he sure did !! Same with could be said about another player we got from the Colts/Jerry Hughs guess what I’m trying to say is that sometimes a new start/team/system is just what a player needs to revive his career , hopefully Colman will follow in the same footsteps as the other two !!!

Go BILLS!!!!!

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t think they would give up much for him for the reasons you mention but given the low cost, and strong locker room, it’s a reclamation project they can take on. Pats gave been making trades like this for a decade +

Agree 100% 

15 hours ago, H2o said:

My question is does this move Zay to the slot or is Coleman going to play the slot WR position? Me personally, I think having Corey on the outside across from Benjamin benefits he and Zay the most. We shall see. 

Kerley in the slot- Zay may be 4 or 5 spot or off the roster- I wouldnt be surprised if the latter happened.

8 hours ago, Pbomb said:

When you change coaches and gms every 2 to 3 years the rosters turnover increases alot. To say we are a farm team is ridiculous, we keep plenty of good players. All teams lose and dont resign some of their draft picks

Let's also dig deeper, to the fact that the coaching changes affect the roster twofold.

-most coaches want their own "clay" to work with, not the half finished product of the previous coach, so they bring in their guys that they scouted and want

-every coach we have had also changed the scheme quite a bit. Look at the defensive scheme. I can't tell you how many times we've gone from 4-3 to 3-4 and back again two years later, just to do the same flip again another year later. Many linebackers and dline are specialized for one type of defensive scheme, so they wind up jettisoned with the scheme change, even if they were a good player

• Thank you (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They watched Brett Hundley last year?

Kizer is a talented dude. Maybe McCarthy can develop him a bit behind Rodgers. He has won games with Matt Flynn

I watched pretty much every throw of his at Notre Dame and he is talented but I think too inconsistent to ever really be a good one.  

56 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am honestly just a bit surprised that Buffalo traded for Coleman, with some of his issues I’ve heard about (specifically not working hard enough, and things of that nature). 

Hes is not the prototypical McBeane player by any means. 

But it is very nice to see. Ive seen numerous people complaining/worrying that McBeane would never take a chance on any talented but flawed type players. 

This is shows that they will. 

Last year was about establishing the culture. Now it seems that they feel they have a strong enough locker room to take chances on a player like this (not that Coleman is some huge off field risk or anything) and try to turn him around. 

Important to remember that Beane scouted him and met with him when he was coming out of college.  Beane must know that the guy has character he can work with.  If he thought Coleman was a problem two years ago, he wouldn't have taken him now. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1