Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

7th rd pick.  Beane is a savant. If josh allen pans out, we’re going to be dam good in the future 

It's really a 7th rounder?  Is that a conditional pick?  I hadn't seen what round the pick was. Woah! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow, Cleveland must hate this guy and think he is completely worthless.  Why would you just give up on a former first rounder 2 years in for a garbage 7th rounder?  As limited as Shaq might be, I’d be pissed if we did this.  

It's something we should very familiar with...part of breaking out of a losing cycle is that you change regimes a lot. The new regime gets rid of a bunch of ? players from the previous regime and starts over. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

It's something we should very familiar with...part of breaking out of a losing cycle is that you change regimes a lot. The new regime gets rid of a bunch of ? players from the previous regime and starts over. 

Which a absolutely happens in almost every major sport with a regime change, you are correct about that.

However, when you are shipping out a 15th overall pick for a 2020 7th rounder... I mean, Bills fans were upset about the return for Watkins, a fourth overall, but at least we got a second and a roster player who was very helpful to the secondary (when healthy).

The Browns have just hemorrhaged former first rounders religiously. Moreover, its not as if they are so stacked at WR they can move on, and Coleman is under control for at least two more years, three if you pick up the option.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the other thing this trade shows is that as excited as fans are about the young guys on the roster the front office and coaching staff simply are not seeing the necessary consistency from them to trust them as critical parts of this passing attack.  

I mentioned the other day that the Cover 1 guys had noticed Foster and Phillips both being dug out on the side in camp by Daboll for not recognising coverages and running the wrong routes. Ricky Proehl hardly seems to have made an impression and Ray Ray hasn't separated from the crowd either. I now figure that the Bills basically see 1 spot on the 53 going to one of the young guys (Foster, McCloud, Proehl, Phillips, Dupre, Reilly) possibly 2 if Zay can't get his act together, and then they will look to stash a couple more on the PS.  If I was taking a punt now on the 6 that make the 53 (and I still think it is possible though not likely that they keep 7) it would be:

Benjamin

Kerley

Coleman

Jones

Reilly

Holmes

Absolutely agree with your guys to make the cut. One of Dupre/Phillips/ Foster to PS. My money is on Dupre

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not the Browns, no. I don’t do fantasy either, so.... Fantasy is how and why my son knows a little TOO much about all things NFL. 

UGH! It is how I know all of these players as well. Sometimes, I'm not sure how...

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

Which a absolutely happens in almost every major sport with a regime change, you are correct about that.

However, when you are shipping out a 15th overall pick for a 2020 7th rounder... I mean, Bills fans were upset about the return for Watkins, a fourth overall, but at least we got a second and a roster player who was very helpful to the secondary (when healthy).

The Browns have just hemorrhaged former first rounders religiously. Moreover, its not as if they are so stacked at WR they can move on, and Coleman is under control for at least two more years, three if you pick up the option.

I think it’s about changing the culture and setting an example. 

It sounds like maybe Coleman wasn’t doing the things he needed to do to be successful in Cleveland. 

Just like McBeane had to come in with an iron fist and get rid of people who weren’t getting on board, I think Dorsey feels similar. 

I agree about Cleveland hemorrhaging 1st rounders though. It’s absolutrly unbelievable the amount of 1st round picks they’ve had leave/bust.

Speaking of which.... EIGHT 1st rounders in 4 years, all gone. This is why rebuilding is meaningless if you draft like Cleveland. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

Bills GM says no guar­antees for newly-acquired Corey Coleman

By Spectrum News Staff  |  August 6, 2018 @10:49 AM

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — The Bills made what they believe is a low-risk, high-reward deal to bring in wide receiver Corey Coleman.

The team gave up a seventh-round pick in 2020 to acquire the former first rounder from the Cleveland Browns.

Two hand injuries have kept Coleman out of 13 games through two seasons.

They believe what he's shown on the field is still enough to take a chance on, especially given the price.

However, despite lacking depth at the position, Bills general manager Brandon Beane says they don't plan to hand him a job.

"You know it hadn’t worked out in Cleveland, probably the way he thought when he was drafted or the way they thought when they drafted him in the first round, so it’s a fresh start for him to come in here and compete," Beane said. "He’s not going to automatically get anything. He’s got to come in here and compete."

9 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

UGH! It is how I know all of these players as well. Sometimes, I'm not sure how...

I’m actually a little afraid to try Fantasy Football. It can become quite the obsession! I don’t want to know as much about football as my son does. 

It’s funny, growing up in WNY I never really followed college football. After 30+ years living in the southeast it’s really grown on me, and if it’s NOT the Bills, I watch less NFL than I used to. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am honestly just a bit surprised that Buffalo traded for Coleman, with some of his issues I’ve heard about (specifically not working hard enough, and things of that nature). 

Hes is not the prototypical McBeane player by any means. 

But it is very nice to see. Ive seen numerous people complaining/worrying that McBeane would never take a chance on any talented but flawed type players. 

This is shows that they will. 

Last year was about establishing the culture. Now it seems that they feel they have a strong enough locker room to take chances on a player like this (not that Coleman is some huge off field risk or anything) and try to turn him around. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Tells me they were cutting him

Probably, but given our situation it seems worth it to take a flier on him. Maybe with a change of scenery and a little luck....

1 hour ago, Bill_with_it said:

Jarvis Landry is saying hello 

Right- can’t forget about him 

Just now, Augie said:

Probably, but given our situation it seems worth it to take a flier on him. Maybe with a change of scenery and a little luck....

No issue for me....7ths rarely amount to much.

while folks are complaining they wanted a speed guy, I can’t see how a 4.37 isn’t that   

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am honestly just a bit surprised that Buffalo traded for Coleman, with some of his issues I’ve heard about (specifically not working hard enough, and things of that nature). 

Hes is not the prototypical McBeane player by any means. 

But it is very nice to see. Ive seen numerous people complaining/worrying that McBeane would never take a chance on any talented but flawed type players. 

This is shows that they will. 

Last year was about establishing the culture. Now it seems that they feel they have a strong enough locker room to take chances on a player like this (not that Coleman is some huge off field risk or anything). 

I didn’t think they would give up much for him for the reasons you mention but given the low cost, and strong locker room, it’s a reclamation project they can take on. Pats gave been making trades like this for a decade +

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

For reference, we just drafted Austin Proehl in the 7th round. That's the kind of "talent" you usually get at that point in the draft.

So to trade a CONDITIONAL, FUTURE 7th round pick for the type of talent and speed Coleman has is awesome.

Over the first 16 games of his career, he has over 50 receptions for over 600 yards and 5 TDs.

If he does nothing else but provide a deep threat and help keep the defense honest, he's more than worth what the Bills paid.

If he does literally nothing and gets cut, the Bills have lost only a 7th round pick at worst. And even then, the trade was a CONDITIONAL 7th round pick, so if Coleman doesn't make the team, the Bills might not lose anything.

It's a scratchoff lottery ticket for basically free. Love it.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t think they would give up much for him for the reasons you mention but given the low cost, and strong locker room. it’s a reclamation project they can take on. Pats gave been making trades like this for a decade +

When they do, national media praises the Pats for making a "bold, genius move."  However, when other teams, like the Bills, make this move, it gets scrutinized to death and ultimately ruled "questionable" or "puzzling."