Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

13 minutes ago, Big C said:

Watkins was a move to get us some draft capital. We will see how his career plans out but it's a move we needed to make for the bug picture.

Goodwin left before Beane was here and I'm sure he wanted a change of scenery, or SF offered him a better deal than us based on potential. Goodwin wasn't fully committed to football when he was with us and now he is and he is playing well. It's kind of revisionist history to say it was a mistake to let him walk. 

I'm not questioning those moves.  I just questioned why he didn't find a WR to stretch the field after they left.  Hopefully, this move addresses that.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

All of these guys are still playing except 2.

3 are starters.

1 started in the SB.

1 sacked our QB on the playoffs

Why did you leave out the Tredavian Nightmare?

The reason they still aren't contributing here is because Beane traded them for draft picks.  Not because they aren't good.

The fact is, though, that they are NOT on the Bills even though the Bills drafted them in the first round.  The Bills continue to be the NFL's premier farm team, developing top players for other teams, especially Super Bowl contenders like NE, Seattle and Philly.

Yolo used  2009-2016, so I used those same year parameters. 

Being traded for a draft pick -- or allowed to walk away in FA -- seems to be the fate of virtually all the talented young  players the Bills have developed since Donahoe was fired whether they were first rounders or UDFA.  More than anything else, that's the reason why the Bills have made the playoffs only once in this entire century. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Unlikely. They will draft OLB in first round.  Then DL, TE, and OT before WR. 

Trading Watkins was a mistake. And Goodwin was committed plenty to football. He just did more in the off season than his peers. That said with his injury history I had no problem with letting him go.

I love hearing about how great Watkins is as a decoy. Tell me more. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The fact is, though, that they are NOT on the Bills even though the Bills drafted them in the first round.  The Bills continue to be the NFL's premier farm team, developing top players for other teams, especially Super Bowl contenders like NE, Seattle and Philly.

Being traded for a draft pick -- or allowed to walk away in FA -- seems to be the fate of virtually all the talented young  players the Bills have developed since Donahoe was fired whether they were first rounders or UDFA.  More than anything else, that's the reason why the Bills have made the playoffs only once in this entire century. 

You must be a blast at parties 

53 minutes ago, SoTier said:

When you change coaches and gms every 2 to 3 years the rosters turnover increases alot. To say we are a farm team is ridiculous, we keep plenty of good players. All teams lose and dont resign some of their draft picks

7 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The end for Zay in Buffalo?

The start of Zays slot career more likely. I have a tough time believing were going to give up on a second rounder less than a year after trading up to draft him. 

1 hour ago, Pbomb said:

When you change coaches and gms every 2 to 3 years the rosters turnover increases alot. To say we are a farm team is ridiculous, we keep plenty of good players. All teams lose and dont resign some of their draft picks

Our retention rate in the last 5 years of our top picks has been atrocious.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Lets put this to rest right here:

The Bills have had their problems over the last 2 decades but they have not been as bad as the Browns and we don't have to equalize terribleness.

Browns W/L Record over 9 years: 34 / 110 (.236) out of 144 games

Last in Division 8/9 times

Won 4 games in last 3 years

Bills W/L Record over 9 years: 61 / 83 (.423) out of 144 games

Last in Division 5/9 times

Won 24 games in last 3 years

The Browns:

Myles Garrett  - Unproven

Jabrill Peppers  - Unproven

David Njoku  - Unproven

Corey Coleman - Traded - 2018 - Undisclosed pick

Danny Shelton - Traded 2018 - 5th Round pick - 3rd Round pick in return

Cameron Erving - Traded 2017 - 5th Round pick

Justin Gilbert - Traded 2016 - 6th Round pick - Out of League

Johnny Manziel - Cut 2016 - Out of league

Barkevious Mingo - Traded 2016 - 5th round pick - Out of League

Trent Richardson - Traded 2013 - 1st round pick - Out of League

Brandon Weeden - Waived 2014

Phil Taylor - Cut 2014 - Out of league

Joe Haden - Free Agent 2017 - Starter for 7 years

Alex Mack - Free Agent 2014 - Starter for 7 years

The Bills:

TreDavious White - Unproven

Shaq Lawson - Still on team

No Pick - Watkins Trade

Sammy Watkins - Traded 2017 - 2nd Round pick + EJ Gaines

EJ Manuel - Cut 2017

Stephon Gilmore - Free Agent 2016

Marcell Dareus - Traded 2017 - Starter for 6 years -  5th round pick

C.J. Spiller - Free Agent 2015

Aaron Maybin - Cut 2011

Eric Wood - Retired 2018 - Starter for 9 years

Edited by What a Tuel

18 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Our top 4 receivers this year might well be fat and slow Kelvin, 2 route Corey Coleman, 'Fighting naked for Jesus' and Jeremy 'Ghosts made me fail a drug test' Kerley.

Fun times :D

And Tom Brady could take any one of them and make him look like a Pro Bowler

• Like (+1) 1

Excerpt from July 31 article

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-browns-who-have-shined-through-5-days-of-training-camp

WR Corey Coleman: Toward the end of offseason workouts, first-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley said this season would be something of a “make or break” campaign for the third-year receiver. So far, those words seem to have lit a fire under Coleman, the 15th-overall pick in 2016 who has yet to live up to those lofty expectations because of injuries and other dynamics.

Over the past few days — notably in Sunday and Monday’s practices — the former Baylor star has flashed the talent that made him one of college football’s most explosive receivers. While time will tell if that translates to the regular season, it’s been a promising showing.

“I think that his confidence is growing,” head coach Hue Jackson said. “Corey is a confident player anyway. This is Year 3 and the fifth day in this, and he just kind of understands that you have to grind through it. He’s done that. I’ve been really impressed. He’s come out every day, been a little sore but has fought through it and went out and made plays.”

• Like (+1) 1

I think the other thing this trade shows is that as excited as fans are about the young guys on the roster the front office and coaching staff simply are not seeing the necessary consistency from them to trust them as critical parts of this passing attack.  

I mentioned the other day that the Cover 1 guys had noticed Foster and Phillips both being dug out on the side in camp by Daboll for not recognising coverages and running the wrong routes. Ricky Proehl hardly seems to have made an impression and Ray Ray hasn't separated from the crowd either. I now figure that the Bills basically see 1 spot on the 53 going to one of the young guys (Foster, McCloud, Proehl, Phillips, Dupre, Reilly) possibly 2 if Zay can't get his act together, and then they will look to stash a couple more on the PS.  If I was taking a punt now on the 6 that make the 53 (and I still think it is possible though not likely that they keep 7) it would be:

Benjamin

Kerley

Coleman

Jones

Reilly

Holmes

• Like (+1) 1