Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

11 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

@thadbrown7

Just perusing Corey Coleman NFL stats... big red flag is catches per targets. 

He's made 56 receptions on 131 targets. That's 43%. 

Only two guys of top 80 last year in NFL receiving yards were below 50%. 

One was Dez Bryant. 

Maybe it's the injuries.

DeShone Kiser, Cody Kessler, RGIII, Kevin Hogan and Josh McCown (three games)

That couldn't have anything to do with it right?

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He also had some trouble with the Cleveland po po last year... mcbeane really going out of their comfort zone, keep him away from zay

I think that speaks to the depth of their concern about the position.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Perfect. 

Former 1st rounder with 4.12 speed and cost a late round pick. No downside at all to this move. And still cost controlled this year and next year (before needing 5th year option)

I read more like just under 4.4. Since the league record on 40 time used to be Chris Johnson around 4.24 I highly doubt this guy ran a 4.12.

Coleman is instantly the fastest receiver on the Bills' roster.  His scouting report says he has unreal acceleration off the LOS.  His career has been thus far derailed by twice breaking the same hand.  Cleveland is very deep at WR, so they could afford to unload Coleman.  Bray (the guy who got cut to make room for Coleman) was never going to make this team.  It is a nice trade and gives this receiving group a nice upgrade.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, brianthomas said:

Thad Brown reminds me of that  SNL sketch with Debbie Downer. Dude always focuses on the negative side of things. Must be great at parties

I mean it shows why the Browns might not want the guy.  So it’s definitely revelant.  But it seems like a low risk, high reward type of move.

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I read more like just under 4.4. Since the league record on 40 time used to be Chris Johnson around 4.24 I highly doubt this guy ran a 4.12.

i just looked it up it was Christian Coleman who ran a 4.12

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 1

Strengths

Instant blur off the snap. Feet turn over at a blinding pace and he devours cushion before cornerbacks know what hit them. Able to get over the top of every corner he faced and demands safety help over the top. Works back to the ball. Explosive leaper with ability to climb ladder and win the 50/50 ball and body control to secure the acrobatic catch. Touchdown maker finishing 2015 with 20 receiving touchdowns. Smooth, speedy stems to the post will be difficult to mirror and match for NFL cornerbacks. Easy route adjustments in space. Defenders who try to jam and miss pay the iron price (touchdowns). Able to make tacklers miss in tight spaces. Has experience as ball carrier and punt returner. Heavily targeted (39 percent) in Baylor's high­-flying attack.

Weaknesses

Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.

Draft Projection

Rounds 1 or 2

Sources Tell Us

"He's my top receiver. Now this is for what we do so he's going to be tops for me. He can do a lot of things and I'm not worried about those simple routes because he's got some gifts to work with. Like him a lot more than (Laquon) Treadwell or the Notre Dame guy (Will Fuller)" -- AFC wide receivers coach

NFL Comparison

John Brown

Bottom Line

Dangerous vertical talent with the ability to get over the top of defenders who fail to recognize his blazing quickness off the line of scrimmage. Coleman can get instant separation to create favorable passing windows and is one of the top playmakers in this draft. Coleman's issues with drops near the middle of the field could be a concern if teams see him next as a slot receiver due to his lack of size. Regardless, he can line up outside and win and he offers immediate punt return help.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That means nothing with who the merry go round of QBs who tried getting him the ball the last couple seasons.

Daboll will find ways to maximize his talents. My Bills top 6 looks pretty decent.

KB

Coleman

Kerley

Jones

Holmes

Rielly

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

i just looked it up it was Christian Coleman who ran a 4.12

John Ross has the fastest NFL time at 4.22, just beat CJ. I think what is relevant here is that speed doesn't mean jack. Other than CJ, none of those guys are really impressive NFL players.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000917865

Edited by Tyrod's friend