How Bad Does Service Have To Be Not To Tip?

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I agree.  I can see why people are jaded, especially more and more now.  Hard work alone will not get you ahead any more now than it did then.  Just chew people up, spit them out.  These honor and loyalty in an overly competitive world.  It's a vicious circle around the drain.  Pretty sad.

Great to have ideals though.

Why I tip 20% no matter what.  Even on take out when there is a tip line item.

How much do you tip your lady-boy prostitutes ??

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

For me, who's worked in a few restaurants from the kitchen to serving to the bar, you have to really, REALLY be bad for me to leave less than 20%. For my regular places I tip 50% or more but I'm adding in all the drinks I'm getting and not being charged for. People remember that.

Lol 50% tips. 

Insanity. 

I tip 15% for average service.

20% for exceptional service and that’s it. 

If the server sucks I will gladly leave them nothing. They would have to really suck and it’s happened a few times. 

I also never send back food in a restaurant. 

Fwiw I have worked as a server. 

Edited by Bakin

I can't think of anytime I've left no tip. I have left a restaurant though before even ordering. Went to a chain place near home, got seated right away. We weren't right by the kitchen, but we were in the main aisle where every waiter/waitress/manager going to and from the kitchen had to go by our table. We sat their for 20 minutes, with menus, and not a single person acknowledge us. As we left, the hostess, and I know it's just habit, says "Have a good night". Didn't say anything, we just left. Haven't been back there since. 

A bit of my background in order to establish my credentials:  I used to own and operate restaurants through my 20s and into my early 30s.

I always leave something, though if it's less than I would leave for average or excellent service, I explain to the server, in private conversation, why it was less. 

If the experience with any establishment truly angers or offends me, I ask to speak to whoever is in charge, and explain in great detail why they will be voiding 100% of my bill, and I leave.  This has happened twice in my life.

4 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

Having worked in several restaurants when I was younger, I can typically make correct assumptions where a breakdown is occurring when I’m experiencing bad service. I have never left zero for a tip, but I have certainly docked the tip when I could say with certainty server laziness or rudeness was causing whatever problem.

I typically empathize with people who seem over their head busy, but if you’re just texting on your phone at the station and my drink is empty you suck at your job. 

What people often do, which I always hated, was penalize a server or bartender for an obvious kitchen issue. Happens all the time though.

Many people also tip the waitress if they had a good meal, though. Kitchen gets none of that.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

For what it's worth I know waitresees that will blame the kitchen for problems anyway because people won't penalize their tips. I had a waitress call it "a victimless crime". She's not the only one...

Obviously I'm biased having grown up a cook, but many people may not realize that aside from the owner, the waitresses/bartenders are the highest paid people in the restaurant and it's not even close. Not to mention their shift lengths are generally about half as long as the kitchen workers. I'm not jealous, I couldn't deal with people constantly and food is my passion, but it seems like nobody recognizes the dishwashers, prep cooks, etc. They have families to support, too and they work longer hours and make less money.

Just a little love for the dishwashers of the world that never get mentioned or tipped, or anything. Kinda got off topic

19 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

A bit of my background in order to establish my credentials:  I used to own and operate restaurants through my 20s and into my early 30s.

I always leave something, though if it's less than I would leave for average or excellent service, I explain to the server, in private conversation, why it was less. 

If the experience with any establishment truly angers or offends me, I ask to speak to whoever is in charge, and explain in great detail why they will be voiding 100% of my bill, and I leave.  This has happened twice in my life.

Having been a server, the only thing worse than getting a ****ty tip, is having some !@#$ tell you why you got the ****ty tip ?

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Having been a server, the only thing worse than getting a ****ty tip, is having some !@#$ tell you why you got the ****ty tip ?

Which is why I do it that way.  I tell them that the next time I'm in, if I have them for a server, I want to be able to give them more.  I will tip up to 30% for excellent service.

My standard tip for poor service (and I absolutely differentiate between poor service, and screw-ups that are not the servers fault, or are just unlucky, like a back of the house issue, a spilled drink, etc) is about 8%, because I understand their job, and how they're paid, and I don't want to leave them what amounts to nothing for their time.

I tip 20% pretty much across the board.  Waiting on tables is a really ****ty job, these people have to deal with !@#$s all the time, and they are getting paid nothing by the places where they work anyway.

Something really odd has to take place to not tip a waiter.  Like once every 10 years odd.

4 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I'm generally a 20% tipper ... 20%for fair to good service ... Less than fair service and I've left less ... Great service can get 30% tip.

Twice however I've left nothing. The first time we were halfway done with our entree and they made us move to another table because they needed the space for a party of 12, we were at a table for two, @*&! that, you don't make someone move in the middle of a meal, never went back there again.

The second time we went to a Mexican restaurant ( not Taco Hell) for one of my Daughters 10th birthday. She brought 3 of her friends, plus my other Daughter, wife and myself, we were seated and ordered drinks, received those and then ordered dinner. 45 minutes later I flagged down the waiter and asked what's taking so long ... he went into the kitchen, came back and said it'll be another 15 minutes ... 45 minutes later, again, still no food, I asked for the manager who came and promptly apologized and said it'll be out in 10 minutes ... half hour later still no food and I reamed this guys ass out in front of everyone ... 10 minutes later I got the food to go and wasn't charged ... Never went back.

After the Bills game in Nashville a couple years ago we walked into town and sat at the bar (no tables available). The bartender was whacked out on something. She was a mess, and it was clear.  Our food took forever, but it did come out eventually, and we understood how busy they were on a game day. She came back, even more messed up this time, and we couldn’t wait to get out! We asked for the check and she wandered off again....this time for a loooong time. I never saw her again.

I had to walk around the place to find an employee, ANY employee, and tell them if we couldn’t get the check we were just walking out. A few minutes later we got our check, and I just rounded up to the nearest full dollar. It was extremely awkward and uncomfortable. 

If it’s not completely atrocious like that, I’ll leave at least a decent tip, but then i vote with my feet. I just don’t go back. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Just a little love for the dishwashers of the world that never get mentioned or tipped, or anything. Kinda got off topic

Both restaurants that I was a dishwasher for, they would split the tips with the entire kitchen staff. 

55 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Both restaurants that I was a dishwasher for, they would split the tips with the entire kitchen staff. 

I have worked in more than a dozen restaurants and have only seen tip splitting in one (which is now closed).

Either way our illustrious governor made tip-splitting illegal. We are no longer allowed to force our wait staff to share tips with anyone.

I have cooked for 18 years, run kitchens, and now own one... And have gotten probably $80 total throughout my career in tips.

23 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I have worked in more than a dozen restaurants and have only seen tip splitting in one (which is now closed).

Either way our illustrious governor made tip-splitting illegal. We are no longer allowed to force our wait staff to share tips with anyone.

I have cooked for 18 years, run kitchens, and now own one... And have gotten probably $80 total throughout my career in tips.

That’s interesting. I worked VERY briefly in a new restaurant while in college. I left for greener pastures after not getting a penny for some soft opening parties with large groups. That was a couple nights of my life I’ll never get back!  

I thought the busboys and dishwashers shared the tips with the wait staff. I had a buddy in college who was head waiter at some nice place in Clarence, and he KILLED it, but he also shared. To be illegal makes no sense at all to me!  Those guy$ need some $$$. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The server would literally have to drop their pants at my table and fart directly into my dinner.

Does that happen to you often? ?

Edited by Augie

There's no tipping down here in New Zealand, thank goodness.

I'll never forget when we first moved down here, we had a couple pizzas delivered to our house.  I paid the guy and gave him a $5 tip.  He looked at the money and then up at me with a puzzled look on his face.  I said, "It's your tip.  Thanks."

He handled the fiver right back, smiled and said, "no thanks, have a nice day!" and left!

Kiwi's are known to be world travellers, and whenever they come back from visiting the States the two things they always mention is, 1)... having to always wait in lines and 2.) Having to tip.

If the service is that bad I usually leave a crumby tip and never go back. I'm generally a pretty good tipper, especially with drinks. If I have more than 2 or 3 the tip is usually between 5 or 10 bucks. I generally go in planning on spending a certain amount. If I get a break on drinks the rest goes to the tip. If I don't get a break it goes to the tab.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s interesting. I worked VERY briefly in a new restaurant while in college. I left for greener pastures after not getting a penny for some soft opening parties with large groups. That was a couple nights of my life I’ll never get back!  

I thought the busboys and dishwashers shared the tips with the wait staff. I had a buddy in college who was head waiter at some nice place in Clarence, and he KILLED it, but he also shared. To be illegal makes no sense at all to me!  Those guy$ need some $$$. 

Does that happen to you often? ?

They do share with busboys and bartenders, but not with back-of-house. Also this is a very new, NY specific law. Idk if it exists elsewhere.

The law started with a sob story about how tough it is to be a waitress and since they raised the waitress min wage, they didn't want employers forcing tip-pooling to avoid paying more to back-of-house. The fact is the growing chasm between front and back of house pay has left a dearth of folks willing to work in the kitchen when they find out they can work 5 hours instead of 8 and make 2x or 3x the money out front. Not to mention they generally only pay tax on 5-10% of the tips.

And it CAN be tough to be a waitress, customers can really suck, but if a waitress works 40 hours at a decent restaurant, they often make $700-$1000 or more weekly. Typically only 1 person in the kitchen gets paid that much. 

If it was up to me, everybody would get the same hourly wage, and split the tips evenly. Waitresses get tipped for two things, 1. Service, and 2. Food... so it makes sense to tip everyone involved. No matter what job you do, if your pay is directly related to how good of a job you do, you are a much better, more productive, happier employee.

Like you said... Those guys need some $$$