Thurman Thomas: 'A Football Life' - December 14th at 8 PM ET on NFL Network; Re-Airs at 8:15 PM ET on Monday (12-17)

NFL Network Announces Subjects for New Season of Emmy-Nominated Series 'A Football Life'

NFL Network announces the subjects to be featured on the upcoming season of the NFL Films-produced, Emmy-nominated series A Football Life.

The eighth season of the highly-acclaimed series A Football Life premieres Friday, September 14 at 8:00 PM ET with a profile of former Pro Bowl quarterback and No. 1 overall pick Carson Palmer. The 11-episode season of A Football Life airs at a new time of 8:00 PM ET on Friday on NFL Network.

Among the subjects profiled this season on A Football Life in addition to Carson Palmer are:
  • Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor
  • 4-time Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo
  • 3-time Super Bowl champion and NFL Network analyst Willie McGinest
  • Pro Football Hall of Fame safety Brian Dawkins
  • Late San Francisco 49ers wide receiver/tight end Dwight Clark
  • Super Bowl-champion head coach Bill Cowher
  • Super Bowl-champion head coach Mike Holmgren
  • 3-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Cris Collinsworth
  • Super Bowl-champion quarterback Doug Williams
  • Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Thurman Thomas

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Thanks!

I've been watching some old games recently in my down time. I always remembered Thurman as a quick, elusive player, but he was a lot tougher than I remember. He took a beating, and many times the hits looked pretty bad, yet he would either be right back in the huddle, or miss a play or two and be back. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Dwight Clark?   Chris Collingsworth?  Willie F’N McGinnest!?!?!?  

Sounds like the NFL Films crew is running out of subjects.  I cant wait for “A Football Life: Jeff Wright”

You actually equate those three with Jeff Wright? :doh:

59 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Sounds like the NFL Films crew is running out of subjects.  I cant wait for “A Football Life: Jeff Wright”

Yeah, some of these are getting weak. On the other hand, how have they not done Lawrence Taylor yet?  Did they need to get him paroled for the interviews?

but he was a lot tougher than I remember. He took a beating, and many times the hits looked pretty bad, yet he would either be right back in the huddle, or miss a play or two and be back. 

We tend to forget he also played at a time when Astroturf was the primary surface in the NFL I remember him saying in an interview what a hard surface that was and how sore he would be after games. Ironic that his career ended with an ACL tear on natural grass and not on the fake stuff when he left us for that "other" football team.

As for the other featured players this season I can understand Dwight Clark. He made "The Catch" which launched a dynasty and did sadly just pass away from ALS which is a horrible disease. I'll skip the Collinsworthless one, just like I did with Rodney Harrison.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Dwight Clark I get. Chris Collinsworth is a !@#$ing tool belt but I can see it because he’s been in broadcasting ever since he retired, which was like 30 years ago. But yeah, willie mcginnest is certainly a stretch....

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You actually equate those three with Jeff Wright? :doh:

No, but read between the lines.  This series starts by profiling the most elite players in NFL History.  Some of the names on the list, while having good careers, are hardly elite

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

It's a football life, not a Hall of Fame Football life.  There are many stories to be told around the game and different players.

Not all of the subjects need to be the greatest players/coaches ever for those to stories to hold relevance.  Keep an open

mind, the stories might resonate with you.

Edited by purple haze
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, Seasons1992 said:

The fact that he damn near averaged 1800 yards or more TOTAL for 5 seasons is crazy. Too bad Marshall Faulk gets all the credit for being a dual-threat.

I here ya! Faulk was real good. Thurman was better. Complete player! Great blocker! Some of those receptions he made as a RB were awesome. Great hands! 

On 8/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Thanks!

I've been watching some old games recently in my down time. I always remembered Thurman as a quick, elusive player, but he was a lot tougher than I remember. He took a beating, and many times the hits looked pretty bad, yet he would either be right back in the huddle, or miss a play or two and be back. 

Very rarely did players get a clean shot at him...he often times twisted and turned his body at the last second so the shots he took were glancing blows more often than not.

• 1 month later...
thomas_300x169.jpg

S8 EP11 - THURMAN THOMAS

DECEMBER 14 8PM ET

The Thurmanator led the NFL in total yards from scrimmage four straight seasons and scored a touchdown in four straight Super Bowls. Yet throughout his life, his best trait was being able to take his biggest disappointments and turn them into motivation for his greatest triumphs.