Thurman Thomas: 'A Football Life' - December 14th at 8 PM ET on NFL Network; Re-Airs at 8:15 PM ET on Monday (12-17)

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

Absolutely the best team in the league that year. Dominant on both sides of the ball. And they were thisclose to going 16-0 that season. 

I was in DC then,, and this was pre-Sunday Ticket ! I prolly watched 14 of the 16 Skins game that year ..at the very least they would be on a TV in the bar I would be watching the Bills.

And yes, to this day that was the most dominant team I have ever seen in all my 45+ years of watching the NFL. The Redskins led the league in scoring with 485 points, and allowed the second-fewest points (224) in the league in 1991. For Kornheiser fans, this was the year of " The Bandwagon" columns..these are great BTW if you want a good read

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/timeline/wagon/wagnfrnt.htm

I watched the game at a party full of Skins fans at my house..and they were amazed I was not more upset at the game..during the game. After having watched them all year, really did not feel Bills had a chance. And I was single, and there were single ladies at the party..did not want to seem like the geek too into his football team and damage for chances for post party fun!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

There were some plays in the second SB that still bother me. Kenny Davis and Jimbo not being on the same page during the helmet fiasco. Watch the 30 for 30 Four Falls of Buffalo. There was a huge hole in the defense and odds are Thurman takes that to the house. Also Don Beebe dropped a TD and there was a terrible non PI call on Andre Reed. These were plays that could have changed the outcome. Not saying the Bills would have won, but you never know. The team was banged-up that year. We lost John Davis to a knee injury, James Lofton had a bad foot and it showed. Leonard Smith got hurt and never played again and Bruce was coming off that botched knee surgery and was a shell of a player that year. The Skins were a great team in '91, but the playing field was probably not as level as it should have been that day.

As for the the 4th SB, how about Kelly overthrowing a wide open Don Beebe at the end of the 1st half after a Dallas turnover. That would have made the score 17-6 with the Bills getting the 2nd half kickoff. One more score and that game may have been over. Troy Aikman and the Cowboys were not good at comebacks in those days.

Edited by GRHater69
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Boy, I sure miss that O-line!

Thurman still underrated as a pure runner.

Nahh....the Redskins were a fantastic team that year.  They had the top scoring offense and one of the top scoring defenses.  They were heavily favored for good reason.

It’s crazy how easily the Bills handled the Skins on Monday night in 93 (around halloween) with Rypien looking like a JV starter—anyone remember that game? I had a friend of mine tape the game on VHS and must’ve watched it like 50 times, until the tape wore out. The Bills produced something crazy in the 1st quarter alone, like 200 yds of offense and 2-3 tds before the Skins knew what hit them...a great game for all the right reasons!!

13 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

There were some plays in the second SB that still bother me. Kenny Davis and Jimbo not being on the same page during the helmet fiasco. Watch the 30 for 30 Four Falls of Buffalo. There was a huge hole in the defense and odds are Thurman takes that to the house. Also Don Beebe dropped a TD and there was a terrible non PI call on Andre Reed. These were plays that could have changed the outcome. Not saying the Bills would have won, but you never know. The team was banged-up that year. We lost John Davis to a knee injury, James Lofton had a bad foot and it showed. Leonard Smith got hurt and never played again and Bruce was coming off that botched knee surgery and was a shell of a player that year. The Skins were a great team in '91, but the playing field was probably not as level as it should have been that day.

As for the the 4th SB, how about Kelly overthrowing a wide open Don Beebe at the end of the 1st half after a Dallas turnover. That would have made the score 17-6 with the Bills getting the 2nd half kickoff. One more score and that game may have been over. Troy Aikman and the Cowboys were not good at comebacks in those days.

And of course the Bills beat those same cowboys in Dallas, early season 93 after SB XXVII, 13-10, go figure 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

2 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

The Cowboys were playing like total s**t in SB 28.

The Buffalo Bills had the momentum and scoring lead in the third quarter.  Then Thurman Thomas fumbles the ball after Cowboy Leon Lett barely touches the ball.  Cowboy James Washington picks up the ball and runs it in for a TD.

Then the Cowboys had both the scoring lead and momentum.   Thurman Thomas spent much of the rest of SB 28 sitting on the sideline pouting.  Bills coach Marv Levy actually had to go over to Thurman Thomas in an attempt to motivate him to play more.

The Buffalo Bills lost SB 28 because of RB Thurman Thomas.  Pure and simple.

:thumbdown:

yeah ok

39 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

It’s crazy how easily the Bills handled the Skins on Monday night in 93 (around halloween) with Rypien looking like a JV starter—anyone remember that game? I had a friend of mine tape the game on VHS and must’ve watched it like 50 times, until the tape wore out. The Bills produced something crazy in the 1st quarter alone, like 200 yds of offense and 2-3 tds before the Skins knew what hit them...a great game for all the right reasons!!

And of course the Bills beat those same cowboys in Dallas, early season 93 after SB XXVII, 13-10, go figure 

No Emmit that game..sitting out. Signed the next day as JJ capitulated with the Cowboys at 0-2.

and yep, RB mattered back then

The age old question though, would the bills have went to 4 straight superbowls had they won the 1st? Obviously it sucks to have lost 4 straight, but I think it's actually more noteworthy that they went to 4 straight. Something that has never, and Imo will never happen again. 

Edited by Steptide

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Thurman Thomas: 'A Football Life' - December 14th at 8 PM ET on NFL Network; Re-Airs at 8:15 PM ET on Monday (12-17)
14 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I think the show really captured how intense he was and what a great competitor. Best player we ever had. 

He was good but certainly not the best, not even the best RB. Bruce Smith is so much more talented than anyone we have had it's not even close

Bills should of won first and could of won the last. 

The Bills had no shot against Washington or Dallas In Pasadena. 

Hell of a ride for those of us who lived it. I was privileged to go to 2 and will love the Bills to the day I die. Anyone saying anything negative about Thurman has no clue. Guy gave it his all. You think he wanted to lose any of those games? Please. Get a grip. Thurman is a Bills and Buffalo fan . What more could you ask for?

7 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

The Buffalo Bills had the momentum and scoring lead in the third quarter.  Then Thurman Thomas fumbles the ball after Cowboy Leon Lett barely touches the ball.  Cowboy James Washington picks up the ball and runs it in for a TD.

Then the Cowboys had both the scoring lead and momentum.   Thurman Thomas spent much of the rest of SB 28 sitting on the sideline pouting.  Bills coach Marv Levy actually had to go over to Thurman Thomas in an attempt to motivate him to play more.

Was this brought up in the show?  I haven't watched it yet.  Alan Pergament said of course they had to touch on the down times - mentioning the helmet and the draft day.................But, the only thing that ever is in the big negative department for Thurman with me is this.  And, not that he fumbled, but that he gave up at 13-13.  Even the Four Falls talks about how resilient they are - until they weren't.  Never saw a team quit like that. 

The Thurman Thomas story is not complete without that.  Unfortunately.  And, unfortunately it was after his greatest game - vs. KC in the AFC Championship. 

Thurman made mention of his daughter and her depression.  Got me thinking.......I hope a young girl like that isn't on anti-depressants.  

I know every situation is different, but many medical professionals that I listen to and respect warn that those anti-depressants they're handing out like candy now are so bad for you.  Make you entirely dependent on them and many times lead to deeper depression.  The over prescription of pain killers and anti-depressants is a very real problem in this country and it's mainly because those arguing against them often get shot down as insensitive or  not understanding.  Not the case......those things are poison, and I wish doctors would exhaust all other options including

-diet

-exercise

-vitamins (fish oil)

-meditation/breathing techniques

before resorting to chemicals.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case......and the financial incentive for a doctor to fix a problem is a lot less lucrative than prescribing chemicals for years if not decades.

On 12/15/2018 at 8:48 AM, PearlHowardman said:

Couldn’t disagree more. While the Cowboys were playing poorly as you described, the problem was the Bills were playing about as well as they could. They led by just 7 points at the half. The Bills lost SB XXVIII to the Cowboys for the same reason they lost the year before; the Bills D was just a bit too soft vs the run and the ‘Boys outmuscled them. The Bills were the less physical team in all their Superbowls , and added Ted Washington a few years too late. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/14/2018 at 6:59 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Washington had the bigger and more physical team with an offense that was loaded with weapons.  They were better. 

Skins won that game in the trenches.  Most consistently winning teams do.  Which is why this off-season the Bills need to focus

on that offensive line first, second and last. 

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

Skins won that game in the trenches.  Most consistently winning teams do.  Which is why this off-season the Bills need to focus

on that offensive line first, second and last. 

If I remember right, Rypien was only sacked nine times that year... the whole damn YEAR.