Sam Darnold Dazzles In Debut

Domdab99

Darnold looks very good at the underneath stuff. Let's not underrate that. Impressive field reading. I *think* that Allen will have to learn to take what the defense gives him a bit more than he's shown on his tape. However I think is ceiling is also considerably higher than Darnold's, and part of what makes him special is how badly he wants to push the ball down the field. Sam will be a productive quarterback in the league with a shot at being very good. Allen could be a productive quarterback in the league with a shot at being dominant. 

This will be fun. 

From a very small sample size , I feel Darnold has a high floor but low ceiling compared to Baker and Allen at least. 

We all heard he's the most pro ready QB and that's probably true but it's almost a double edged sword p because I don't forsee his game making any big time improvements that Allen / Mayfield ,specifically , are CAPABLE of making..

I see Darnold being a serviceable, game manager type of Q . You can win SBs with that type, but ur run game, ST and defense need to be elite. 

Allen def has a lower floor but no question his ceiling is much higher and as a Bills fan and the QBs we've witnessed since Kelly , that's music to my ears. Roll the dice. 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, Paulus said:

Darnold and Allen will be an awesome rivalry to watch for the next decade. I almost never buy into the hype, but I have followed Darnold for a while and thought he was the best QB in the draft, far ahead of the other QBs. I have changed my mind in regards to who is the best QB in the draft was, but that doesn't make Darnold any less special. Buckle-up buckarooz, these two kids are going to be something special. 

I'm with you. I think an Allen/Darnold friendly rivalry (ala Kelly/Marino---we hated Dan, but Jim didn't) over the next decade is just what the AFC East needs. I hope both guys become great and battle it out in classic games for years to come. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, folz said:

I'm with you. I think an Allen/Darnold friendly rivalry (ala Kelly/Marino---we hated Dan, but Jim didn't) over the next decade is just what the AFC East needs. I hope both guys become great and battle it out in classic games for years to come. 

tumblr_ofq3zzl4vs1uc08pho1_400.gif?w=330

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yes, absolutely. He’s thrown a few bombs and I even recall some dimes from 25, 30 plus yards. Trying to determine what kind of player he is with fake gameplans and vanilla concepts is a no-go.

Sam can sling the ball but I understand what they are trying to do with him right now and that’s get his feet wet. Our defenses even ran soft zone coverage all night when the whole league knows that we are a press man to man coverage Defense. 

https://nypost.com/2018/08/08/todd-bowles-wasnt-bothered-by-sam-darnolds-two-interceptions/

Im sure he had a couple nice deep balls in practice, but there is also cause for concern on his deeper passes as stated in the article above.

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/08/todd-bowles-wasnt-bothered-by-sam-darnolds-two-interceptions/

Im sure he had a couple nice deep balls in practice, but there is also cause for concern on his deeper passes as stated in the article above.

Ehh, he was trying to put too much touch on the passes at times and his timing with the WR’s needs work. 

definitely not making excuses for him because the deep ball isn’t a strong point, but I’m not too worried about it. He’ll get there. It’s not like the kid has a weak arm by any means. He has a very capable arm, those passes just need some work.

Edited by Patriot Killa
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

We also didn’t run any concepts from the real playbook. Darnold actually has a lot stronger of an arm than Chad and he can sling the ball but these first two games have mostly been dink and dunk in order to get the guy comfortable in an NFL game.

I know people wanna see him let it rip but it’s just not what the coaches want to do now. He’ll let it rip eventually and most likely in the most opportune time. It’s a west coast offense so there will be a lot of crossing patterns, underneaths, posts, etc.

Robby Anderson is one of the best deep threats in the league, Darnold will have a shot at going long...just not now.

Why limit the guy completely to a dink and dunk approach? To get a guy comfortable in a game? What happens in a real game when he throws deep is he'll get picked off because he hasn't experienced throwing a live deep ball. Jets better start Bridgewater if they want to win. Darnold needs to sit and learn, as does Allen. Still, you don't limit QBs in preseason. You need to get them used to as many game situations as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ehh, he was trying to put too much touch on the passes at times and his timing with the WR’s needs work. 

definitely not making excuses for him because the deep ball isn’t a strong point, but I’m not too worried about it. He’ll get there. It’s not like the kid has a weak arm by any means. He has a very capable arm, those passes just need some work.

I watched him a lot at USC because they are on every weekend on the west coast and once it hit mid season he was connecting on more deep balls so I would you are correct about the timing issues. My only concern with him was he was always hesitant to take a shot it seemed like he would prefer to throw underneath every play if he could. I do think he will be successful but I don't see him putting up monster games more of just a steady reliable QB. It would be great for the fans if he and Josh both developed and battled it out for the next decade. Enjoy the season! Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Why limit the guy completely to a dink and dunk approach? To get a guy comfortable in a game? What happens in a real game when he throws deep is he'll get picked off because he hasn't experienced throwing a live deep ball. Jets better start Bridgewater if they want to win. Darnold needs to sit and learn, as does Allen. Still, you don't limit QBs in preseason. You need to get them used to as many game situations as possible. 

Because the Jests have already determined that they're going to start Darnold in the season opener, and they aren't going to allow something as minor as Darnold's actual on-field performance to derail their plans.   They'll limit him to doing what he does well, knowing that the media will uncritically gush all over him over any little success.  They are manipulating their rookie QB to insure that they get the results they want in the short term even if it explodes in their faces later in the season ... or in Darnold's career. 

That's my explanation for the Jests' keeping Darnold so tightly under wraps.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills, Jets, Browns, and Cardinals fans should all just cool it until their shiny new QBs face real regular season action. Until then, we don't know squat.

You got that right.. Its great to be excited and to see good things in your guy but a lot of that changes when real bullets fly

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills, Jets, Browns, and Cardinals fans should all just cool it until their shiny new QBs face real regular season action. Until then, we don't know squat.

And in the meantime, let’s take a dump in the punchbowl.  God forbid fans should be excited about their teams ....

49 minutes ago, wppete said:

Donald look very good last night. Lets hope the Jets implode around him for the next few years.

Aaron Donald?  Or Trump?

11 hours ago, Logic said:

This is correct...It is absolutely insanity to be convinced that any of these teams have “found the guy”.....if you are convinced you are delusional.