Sam Darnold Dazzles In Debut

Domdab99

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agreed. It seemed Allen was their second choice. There was another QB they wanted , and it was most likely Darnold. They had a choice of QBs left when they moved up and picked the guy they liked most. If they had managed to get a higher pick I’d wager it wouldn’t have been Allen. Why some fans wouldn’t acknowledge this is beyond me. 

Because they want to believe that they picked the best guy. It’s normal for fans to think that and/or try to convince themselves of that. If you go on the Browns board there are at least 27 posters sticking their noses up at Darnold because they are trying to self-validate that their team did the right thing by passing on him.

Darnold was the consensus #1 QB in the class for a reason. Yes he had some flaws as the others did. Every prospect does unless you are Andrew Luck. But he makes jaw dropping plays and had the ability to clean up the turnovers because on tape he rarely makes the same mistake twice. He’s already cleaned up a ton of scouting report negatives because he truly wants to get better. You see that goof ball, Paxton Lynch last night? He hasn’t looked any better after being in the league for 4 years...it’s because he’s lazy and he doesn’t love the game enough to sacrifice every day for it.

But I digress...

i honestly don’t blame Bills fans for trying to self-validate for themselves...but preseason game 1 isn’t the necessary time to do so nor’ will it ever be

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Huh?? They obviously liked Allen. From everything I read, though, it was pretty clear that they coveted Darnold.  There is a reason he was taken before Allen.

...was referring to your "don't think otherwise" comment.....CERTAINLY respect your opinion.....how this place is supposed to work...we'll never know the actual pecking order of who they coveted.....but I think they're satisfied with Allen......many of these kids ala Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen and perhaps even Jackson and Lauletta have great potential....hope they ALL succeed...sure as hell would make for some interesting, competitive head-to head matchups on any given Sunday like the good 'ol days....

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...was referring to your "don't think otherwise" comment.....CERTAINLY respect your opinion.....how this place is supposed to work...we'll never know the actual pecking order of who they coveted.....but I think they're satisfied with Allen......many of these kids ala Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen and perhaps even Jackson and Lauletta have great potential....hope they ALL succeed...sure as hell would make for some interesting, competitive head-to head matchups on any given Sunday like the good 'ol days....

It would be fun if a few years from now folks are talking about this group like the class of '83 -- only I hope we didn't wind up with Todd Blackledge.

By the way, if you're superstitious at all consider that Jim Kelly was the 3rd QB taken in that draft.  Josh Allen was the 3rd taken this year.

34 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Because they want to believe that they picked the best guy. It’s normal for fans to think that and/or try to convince themselves of that. If you go on the Browns board there are at least 27 posters sticking their noses up at Darnold because they are trying to self-validate that their team did the right thing by passing on him.

Darnold was the consensus #1 QB in the class for a reason. Yes he had some flaws as the others did. Every prospect does unless you are Andrew Luck. But he makes jaw dropping plays and had the ability to clean up the turnovers because on tape he rarely makes the same mistake twice. He’s already cleaned up a ton of scouting report negatives because he truly wants to get better. You see that goof ball, Paxton Lynch last night? He hasn’t looked any better after being in the league for 4 years...it’s because he’s lazy and he doesn’t love the game enough to sacrifice every day for it.

But I digress...

i honestly don’t blame Bills fans for trying to self-validate for themselves...but preseason game 1 isn’t the necessary time to do so nor’ will it ever be

I have no problem believing Darnold was the bills top choice

It is absolutely possible that at the end of the day Allen WAS the right choice

Of course it is also possible that as many as 4 of the qbs taken in this draft become difference makers for their teams this was the year to draft a qb and it could go down as the best qb draft ever.

5 minutes ago, eball said:

It would be fun if a few years from now folks are talking about this group like the class of '83 -- only I hope we didn't wind up with Todd Blackledge.

By the way, if you're superstitious at all consider that Jim Kelly was the 3rd QB taken in that draft.  Josh Allen was the 3rd taken this year.

...BINGO......I knew someone would equate my current reference to Class of '83......good show bud....:thumbsup:.........sure was one helluva class and today is STILL a benchmark for comparative analysis......wow!...did not realize they were BOTH 3rd QB's taken.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I have no problem believing Darnold was the bills top choice

It is absolutely possible that at the end of the day Allen WAS the right choice

Of course it is also possible that as many as 4 of the qbs taken in this draft become difference makers for their teams this was the year to draft a qb and it could go down as the best qb draft ever.

I think it could be. I also feel bad for anyone that needs a QB next year. 2019’s class looks depressing.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:50 AM, Boatdrinks said:

Agreed. It seemed Allen was their second choice. There was another QB they wanted , and it was most likely Darnold. They had a choice of QBs left when they moved up and picked the guy they liked most. If they had managed to get a higher pick I’d wager it wouldn’t have been Allen. Why some fans wouldn’t acknowledge this is beyond me. 

What about that picture of the QBs in order and the potential Denver trade? It was tweeted and on a white board at OBD.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Patriot Killa said:

But I digress...

Said the Jets fan that is trolling Bills and Browns websites to brag about his rookie QB's preseason performance, lol. 

Edited by Tenhigh

His accuracy is pretty standout and how quickly he goes through his progressions and finds open receivers stands out. That said yea his throws don’t “wow” you at all. It seems like he loses some velocity oddly when throwing outside the hashes to his right from the pocket too. It just looks odd. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2018 at 7:19 PM, GG said:

I don't think it's the Bills who should be looking sideways at Darnold's progress, but the team that passed on him with the pick before.  Barkley didn't look that special, and the only reason NY press took it easy on Eli's outing is because Webb was horrendous.

Eli has had it

On 8/13/2018 at 2:20 PM, Tenhigh said:

Said the Jets fan that is trolling Bills and Browns websites to brag about his rookie QB's preseason performance, lol. 

First all I do not even own an account on a Browns forum, a link was posted in my home Jets forum. 

Secondly, i’m not trolling anyone. I’ve been uniquely considerate for a rival fan, open minded and receptive to the members here from the day I signed up. All I said was facts so get your head out of your ass.

It’s logical that fans would like to convince themselves they have the correct guy..I didn’t say your team missed out. I just stated a logical assumption. Fans DO want to sell themselves that their guy is the best one out of the bunch and that’s not something we’ll know for awhile.

k thanks good talk.

Edited by Patriot Killa

Darnold, early on has looked like a more mobile Chad Pennington. Can carve you up on short to intermediate routes, and will exploit soft spots in the defense. I just dont see him gaining enough respect from defenses tho.

I think Darnold has a very high ceiling, but i also could see Sam maxing out as a Pennington type.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Darnold, early on has looked like a more mobile Chad Pennington. Can carve you up on short to intermediate routes, and will exploit soft spots in the defense. I just dont see him gaining enough respect from defenses tho.

I think Darnold has a very high ceiling, but i also could see Sam maxing out as a Pennington type.

We also didn’t run any concepts from the real playbook. Darnold actually has a lot stronger of an arm than Chad and he can sling the ball but these first two games have mostly been dink and dunk in order to get the guy comfortable in an NFL game.

I know people wanna see him let it rip but it’s just not what the coaches want to do now. He’ll let it rip eventually and most likely in the most opportune time. It’s a west coast offense so there will be a lot of crossing patterns, underneaths, posts, etc.

Robby Anderson is one of the best deep threats in the league, Darnold will have a shot at going long...just not now.

Edited by Patriot Killa

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

First all I do not even own an account on a Browns forum, a link was posted in my home Jets forum. 

Secondly, i’m not trolling anyone. I’ve been uniquely considerate for a rival fan, open minded and receptive to the members here from the day I signed up. All I said was facts so get your head out of your ass.

It’s logical that fans would like to convince themselves they have the correct guy..I didn’t say your team missed out. I just stated a logical assumption. Fans DO want to sell themselves that their guy is the best one out of the bunch and that’s not something we’ll know for awhile.

k thanks good talk.

Oooo, since there is a Jets fan here I have a question you might be able to answer.... Have you seen Darnold throw a pass over 10 yards in practice yet? It looks to me you have a captain check down on your hands, but I haven't seen any of the practices.

3 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Oooo, since there is a Jets fan here I have a question you might be able to answer.... Have you seen Darnold throw a pass over 10 yards in practice yet? It looks to me you have a captain check down on your hands, but I haven't seen any of the practices.

Yes, absolutely. He’s thrown a few bombs and I even recall some dimes from 25, 30 plus yards. Trying to determine what kind of player he is with fake gameplans and vanilla concepts is a no-go.

Sam can sling the ball but I understand what they are trying to do with him right now and that’s get his feet wet. Our defenses even ran soft zone coverage all night when the whole league knows that we are a press man to man coverage Defense.