Sam Darnold Dazzles In Debut

Domdab99

Ok, I just watched the "every touch from Sam Darnold" video clip on NFL.com.  Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick.  You know what bothers me most about the analysis of this year's 1st round QBs?  For EVERY OTHER GUY besides Allen the narrative is "how good can he be?"  With Allen it's "will he be a bust?"  It's ridiculous.

Darnold threw maybe three passes more than 10 yards.  Yes, he looked comfortable, but everything was short.  He also threw one brutal pass that should have been picked.  It was a "fine" performance but nothing more impressive than what Allen did.  He certainly didn't make any "wow" plays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not trying to take anything away from him but did you walk away thinking his play was much more superior to Josh or Peterman for that matter? He made short, precise throws but my God!, that ATL D was putrid. Every reception was mostly uncontested. Not a DB near the wideouts. His game did seem a bit more polished and I guess that's to be expected. Like you said, at least a couple years.

It's preseason. 

Sam Darnold flashes starting QB potential in Jets' win

It's very difficult to imagine Sam Darnold not starting Week 1 for the New York Jets if he continues to play in the preseason like he did against the Atlanta Falcons on Friday night.

Darnold, the third overall pick of the 2018 draft, christened his NFL career with a performance that lived up to the grandiose hype arising from months of honeyed words and prognostications from scouts and pundits alike. After entering the game early in the second quarter, he completed 13 of 18 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown in the Jets' 17-0 win over the Falcons.

The numbers reflect Darnold's effective performance, but they don't capture the scope of how well he executed at the intangibles of his position. "Slinging" Sam looked very confident moving up in the pocket and throwing amid encroaching defenders, showcasing a level of awareness that looked beyond his years. The Jets' offensive line did a good job of making sure the structure of the team's plays weren't compromised, allowing Darnold to showcase his pocket-passer skill set.

37 minutes ago, eball said:

Ok, I just watched the "every touch from Sam Darnold" video clip on NFL.com.  Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick.  You know what bothers me most about the analysis of this year's 1st round QBs?  For EVERY OTHER GUY besides Allen the narrative is "how good can he be?"  With Allen it's "will he be a bust?"  It's ridiculous.

Darnold threw maybe three passes more than 10 yards.  Yes, he looked comfortable, but everything was short.  He also threw one brutal pass that should have been picked.  It was a "fine" performance but nothing more impressive than what Allen did.  He certainly didn't make any "wow" plays.

100% agree. I watched the clips and I’m not impressed at all.

A lot of dink and dunk.

Allen looks 10X the prospect.

15 minutes ago, McBean said:

100% agree. I watched the clips and I’m not impressed at all.

Allen looks 10X the prospect.

My point was not to demean Darnold, but rather to shed light on the perverse way in which Allen is being judged compared to the other 1st round QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Why did you waste your time doing that, eball?  Why didn't you just check his completion percentage?  That's all you need.*

* sarcasm, acknowledged here respectfully for the benefit of some board members who don't pick up on it.

I watched Darnold for awhile and didn't see anything special. But, it's only one preseason game. Let's see how he looks when the game is on the line and he needs to go 80 yards for the win. 

For this year the Jests should let Bridgewater start and see how he does while letting Darnold sit and learn. JMO That regime might not last another losing season.

Edited by Nihilarian

Color me impressed. 13/18 for 96 yards and a WHOPPING 5.3 YPA. And a TD. 

Lets see how well he does when he actually tries and pushes the ball downfield (if he ever does). 

But he has just as much chance to succeed or Bust as any other 1st round QB does. 

Bridgewater was more impressive IMO

Edited by MAJBobby

Darnold can only do what the staff asked him to do.  He did it well.  I’d be happy if I was a Jets fan watching that performance.  

It’s also truthful to point out that most of his throws were of the underneath/dink and dunk variety and that Atlanta’s defense was hilariously awful. 

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

... and that Atlanta’s defense was hilariously awful. 

I was gonna say, Darnold looked poised and comfortable, especially for a guy who held out a bit, but damn, the Falcons looked downright horrible last night, like they were playing with molasses on the field.