Mark Ludwiczak calls out the national media’s coverage of Josh Allen

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

yea but hes not TT so the national media is going to lie and flap their wings

no matter what.

14 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

I blame this whole issue on Sean McDermott.

1. For some reason he felt necessary after Allen was drafted to make it abundantly clear to Bills nation and the entire NFL that Allen 7th overall pick would start as the #3 QB throughout OTAs and minicamp apparently to make clear he had to "earn" his reps. He then simultaneously handed the starting MLB job to Edmunds without earning anything. Diminishing Allen in this manner was not necessary. Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold were not treated in this fashion by their head coaches. He setup Allen as being a "disappointment" by sticking with "his plan" for Allen which I believe was juvenile and flawed.

2. Under the guise of building "foundations" for Allen which apparently include Allen learning how to cross the street, find his locker, hold a clipboard, watch the other 2 QBs lace up their cleats, learn the playbook, etc. was ridiculous. Allen scored the highest in the Wunderlich of all QBs in the Combine. What the #7 was going to learn from McCarron or Peterman could be learned in an hour.

3. McDermott repeatedly stayed the course on his plan for Allen while his "franchise QB" was getting roasted in the local and national media for not progressing up the charts by using his cute "this is a rep chart not a depth chart" comment. McDermott just continues to allow his #7 get roasted while he "smirks" in pressers when local media push him on his plans for Allen.

4. The local press exacerbate the problem by feeling the need to report only the "completion percentage" they see of all  the QBs which many view as Allen's weakness. Quoting these stats without also quoting the YPA or YPC misrepresents the results of the QB's target choices. The local press apparently view QB1 stats of say 5/5, 30, 0,0 as better than QB2 stats of 3/5 125,1,0 for instance. Quoting completion % only is completely out of context. We know that one QB hesitates to throw the ball ala Tyrod Taylor so as not to get picked and throws safer routes while one QB throws the ball downfield. Quess who is  who. The stat however is completely misleading and Allen's perceived inaccuracy is perpetuated by those reported stats.

5. It has been reported by the press that their have been a disturbing # of dropped passes by the Bills WR group. This also helps perpetuate the inaccuracy issue.

6. In camp it appears that the QB gets a sack when he is "tagged" by a defender (protecting the QBs). One QB has frequently been reported as taking the most sacks. In reality we know that Allen has the best ability to avoid the physical contact and make plays when being contacted. He is charged with the same "touch" sack when we know his physical ability would allow the result to be significantly different than McCarron's "touch sack" outcome. Local reports of sacks makes no comment of "probably would have avoided" a particular "sack".

7. Allen also suffers from the "Allen derangement disorder" by many Bills fans and local media. Even Howard Simon who was "disappointed" by the pick at first claims to have come around to "support" the pick. But his next words talk about Allen's accuracy issues, footwork needs, and every other slam Allen has gotten from the pro "Rosen" supporters. Comical.

8. Allen has been a trooper throughout when I would seriously question his head coach's motives and treatment. He has not "demanded" to be a starter which others have slammed as an indictment of Allen's drive.

9. Allen cannot win until he wins the starting job, games, playoff games, and then Superbowl if that can ever happen. He will always have his "should have been Rosen" critics, and all types of critics with agendas largely because his head coach in very naive fashion allowed him to continually get criticized for everything he does. If I were Allen I would call out his coach for his "cute little plan" that allows constant criticism of him. He has kept quiet however and let his head coach look like a smirking clown IMO.

yea buffalo is already onto qb # what again? 

people are going to be so happy to see this kid fail,

I'm going to be sure to come here to see the circus.

Sadly enough i'm falling off the fence about the nfl fast,

so its nice to not really care one way or the other. 

People are so despicable i'm still sometimes surprised.

'Allen derangement syndrome', lol, people are just feckless

haters.

Edited by Kelly101

4 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

Of  course that is the point. This is NOT most teams and this  is what McD did. This is MY team and while I really like McD, he whiffed on the Allen treatment IMO and apparently lied about "earning" reps when I can't see how Edmonds earned any since he was made starter on day 1.

They play two different positions, Edmunds was also not nearly considered to has as big a learning curve, Edmunds has also truly excelled leaps and bounds.

Using Edmunds as a metric in regards to Allen isnt really that sound.

20 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It depends on the context. He is a first round QB that has yet to take significant reps from a 5th round 5 INT in one half second year player.  I suppose you could call that disappointing.  But to those that know, Allen is probably right where he should be.  

My guess and hope is AJ plays two series in pre-season game 1, Peterman the rest of the first half, and Allen gets the entire second half.  Allen lights it up and earns significant 1st and 2nd team reps heading into game 2 and is the 2nd QB to play in game 2.

All that said, I can't imagine Allen beating out AJ for the starting job against Baltimore at this point.  If he starts in 2018 it will be later in the season.

It also depends on the coaching staffs long-term view of Allen. It is completely irrelevant that Allen is with the third stringers. The coaching staff has a long term plan of action with Allen and are following it to the T. 

21 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It depends on the context. He is a first round QB that has yet to take significant reps from a 5th round 5 INT in one half second year player.  I suppose you could call that disappointing.  But to those that know, Allen is probably right where he should be.  

My guess and hope is AJ plays two series in pre-season game 1, Peterman the rest of the first half, and Allen gets the entire second half.  Allen lights it up and earns significant 1st and 2nd team reps heading into game 2 and is the 2nd QB to play in game 2.

All that said, I can't imagine Allen beating out AJ for the starting job against Baltimore at this point.  If he starts in 2018 it will be later in the season.

much like has happened in previous years to many a qb. if Peterman starts the first preseason game and does average he will be released before the season begins. i expect the see Allen take the majority of the reps the first preseason game and perhaps all of the 4th game. or maybe they will allow Peterman to showcase himself before releasing him.

I saw an anti Josh Allen piece on one of the ESPN talk shows the other day as well.  About a bad throw in training camp.......I was POed.  the showed a clip, and it looked like he threw a side arm that hit a defender.  NO context, and just a quick hit item ..   It will be fashionable to label Buffalo's #1 as a bust......popular in other media centers and who cares how it plays in WNY.

On 8/5/2018 at 2:26 PM, BillsFan17 said:

They play two different positions, Edmunds was also not nearly considered to has as big a learning curve, Edmunds has also truly excelled leaps and bounds.

Using Edmunds as a metric in regards to Allen isnt really that sound.

I am not arguing anything you are saying ...only this. When a coach speaks, I as a fan trust what he says to be the truth. If he would have said from the start that "need" trumps all and by necessity Edmunds will  be starting immediately and will have to keep his reps by his  play, I would certainly be on board with that explanation. But he didn't. He made a big point about "earning" reps which was true in Allen's case and a lie in Edmond's case. I don't like my coach outright lying about something that important.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:02 PM, tumaro02 said:

7. Allen also suffers from the "Allen derangement disorder" by many Bills fans and local media. Even Howard Simon who was "disappointed" by the pick at first claims to have come around to "support" the pick. But his next words talk about Allen's accuracy issues, footwork needs, and every other slam Allen has gotten from the pro "Rosen" supporters. Comical.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:02 PM, tumaro02 said:

8. Allen has been a trooper throughout when I would seriously question his head coach's motives and treatment. He has not "demanded" to be a starter which others have slammed as an indictment of Allen's drive.

9. Allen cannot win until he wins the starting job, games, playoff games, and then Superbowl if that can ever happen. He will always have his "should have been Rosen" critics, and all types of critics with agendas largely because his head coach in very naive fashion allowed him to continually get criticized for everything he does. If I were Allen I would call out his coach for his "cute little plan" that allows constant criticism of him. He has kept quiet however and let his head coach look like a smirking clown IMO.

This is ridiculous.

Criticizing a media member for being honest about his reservations is not "derangement disorder". It's being honest.  You can support a team and still be objective and disagree with their decisions or opinions.

I'm a Rosen supporter.  Sorry, uh, "Rosen" supporter.  I'm not expecting Allen to fail, but I'm not very confident he will. 

But does that mean I can't root for my team now that Allen is their QB?

2 hours ago, Peevo said:

This is ridiculous.

Criticizing a media member for being honest about his reservations is not "derangement disorder". It's being honest.  You can support a team and still be objective and disagree with their decisions or opinions.

I'm a Rosen supporter.  Sorry, uh, "Rosen" supporter.  I'm not expecting Allen to fail, but I'm not very confident he will. 

But does that mean I can't root for my team now that Allen is their QB?

I can't ever remember in my many years of life had my thoughts characterized as being ridiculous. But now being blessed by your very superior intellect I see you as a bastion of correct thought: a master of common sense: the epitome of name calling. A very great human being sic. Everyone has a right to their opinion for sure. Since you are not a Bills fan (Allen is THEIR QB) you are on the wrong forum. For that I will forgive your arrogant remark. I am a Josh Allen supporter and have been since before the draft. I defend him when he gets slammed and roasted. Time will tell. If you believe whatever the media says because you believe them as being "honest" beware...

12 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

I can't ever remember in my many years of life had my thoughts characterized as being ridiculous. But now being blessed by your very superior intellect I see you as a bastion of correct thought: a master of common sense: the epitome of name calling. A very great human being sic. Everyone has a right to their opinion for sure. Since you are not a Bills fan (Allen is THEIR QB) you are on the wrong forum. For that I will forgive your arrogant remark. I am a Josh Allen supporter and have been since before the draft. I defend him when he gets slammed and roasted. Time will tell. If you believe whatever the media says because you believe them as being "honest" beware...

MAGA, bro. 

Also, I too am a Bills fan and can post whenever I want to.

I said your argument is ridiculous, the non-gender specific identifier "this",  not "you" are ridiculous.

So no, I didn't resort to name calling. I simply pointed out how completely ridiculous claiming you can no longer be a fan of your team if one preferred they select one player over another.

To be fair, you still haven't addressed my original criticism.  I am a Bills fan, and preferred Josh Rosen.

According to "tumaro02" that means I can or cannot root for their success, or not?

19 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

I am not arguing anything you are saying ...only this. When a coach speaks, I as a fan trust what he says to be the truth. If he would have said from the start that "need" trumps all and by necessity Edmunds will  be starting immediately and will have to keep his reps by his  play, I would certainly be on board with that explanation. But he didn't. He made a big point about "earning" reps which was true in Allen's case and a lie in Edmond's case. I don't like my coach outright lying about something that important.

There is your first mistake. Coach-speak and GM-speak are real things. And they are trained to tell say only what is the close enough to the truth at that very moment, but which can (and will) change at any time. "Player X is our starter right now", too many fans focus on "player x is the starter" and miss the important qualifier "right now". That player might not be the starter tomorrow.

They are so good at it, that they slip those qualifiers past without anyone really noticing them.

Additionally, the coach's main priority isnt giving the press and fans accurate information, it is leading their team and managing their players. A coach would much rather lie in the press than risk the locker room environment. So they will often give us inaccurate information in order to properly manage their people.

On 8/4/2018 at 7:29 PM, Dadonkadonk said:

Coaches are making him "earn it".  Nothing is surprising about this.

I honestly was really pissed last night when Allen’s bad play went viral and every national media outlet snarkily tweeted it with “ ladies and gentleman, the josh Allen experience!” And “cue the Benny Hill music” etc etc. it just kept coming. Of course, ignoring any of his good plays. In fact, Lance Zeurlein was on one of the local sports radio shows here yesterday (before the games were played) and they asked about expectations for rookie QBs .. he said “well obviously we all know Josh Allen is really struggling, which isn’t a surprise at all, and if he plays in a real game it’s not going to go well.” As someone who follows the Bills closely that bothered me as it is lazy and frankly not true. He followed it up by saying Darnold has looked great and he expects him to start game 1 and all the way through week 17 and be OROY. Really, he’s been that much better than Allen? I don’t expect Allen to start the season and i think that’s the right move. But the hyperbole is a bit much. 

Anyway rant over ... at least NFL.com tweeted out all of his throws instead of being like the rest. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I honestly was really pissed last night when Allen’s bad play went viral and every national media outlet snarkily tweeted it with “ ladies and gentleman, the josh Allen experience!” And “cue the Benny Hill music” etc etc. it just kept coming. Of course, ignoring any of his good plays. In fact, Lance Zeurlein was on one of the local sports radio shows here yesterday (before the games were played) and they asked about expectations for rookie QBs .. he said “well obviously we all know Josh Allen is really struggling, which isn’t a surprise at all, and if he plays in a real game it’s not going to go well.” As someone who follows the Bills closely that bothered me as it is lazy and frankly not true. He followed it up by saying Darnold has looked great and he expects him to start game 1 and all the way through week 17 and be OROY. Really, he’s been that much better than Allen? I don’t expect Allen to start the season and i think that’s the right move. But the hyperbole is a bit much. 

Anyway rant over ... at least NFL.com tweeted out all of his throws instead of being like the rest. 

If Lance says that, I'm surprised.  He's usually not lazy like this and does his homework.

I wonder if it has anything to do with when they criticize a prospect, the fans of those teams just lay into them on Twitter?  So they exaggerate any struggles this player is having to get an early start on saying "See!  I was right!"

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Lance says that, I'm surprised.  He's usually not lazy like this and does his homework.

I wonder if it has anything to do with when they criticize a prospect, the fans of those teams just lay into them on Twitter?  So they exaggerate any struggles this player is having to get an early start on saying "See!  I was right!"

I’m not sure, but I when I heard him say it and assumed he just wasn’t paying attention to the Bills which .. isn’t surprising. And the comparison to Darnold got me too considering he was thought to be really raw too. He has like less than two years experience playing qb in college and didn’t have a great season last year at all. He’s also a “high potential” guy who needs development. Are they really that far apart right now? I have to think not. But we willl see Darnold tonight! 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm convinced that these guys dont even watch the games.

Here's a great example:

Tyrod Taylor PERFECT in preseason debut - I watched this game ... on the first drive after a big pass the Browns ran for 1 yard on first down, Tyrod checked down for 2 yards on 2nd down, then he ran for 4 yards on 3rd down. How is that "perfect" ....

Meanwhile (same website):

Josh Allen lukewarm in BUF preseason debut - this says he "missed wildly and displayed poor timing and footwork on a few occasions." Did he miss wildly on a few occasions? Most of the throws seemed to be right there.