[reopened. behave your fine selves] Kelvin Benjamin criticizes time with Panthers, Cam Newton

11 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

That's pretty much how I look at my kids 25% of the time............

Do they quake in their boots, or just giggle at you? 

?

Just now, wppete said:

Well I guess this just helps the Bills when negotiating a new contract. Seems like KB likes it in Buffalo. 

Carolina probably thought he liked it there. The test is after he leaves, apparently. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Panthers fans have some good jokes on Twitter.   A lot of fat jokes for KB. 

Best one is     I can’t wait to hear about it on KB’s 30 for 30 on the food network ????

That’s funny but kinda mean. He said he gained weight after his mom died and was out of shape at OTAs, but not camp. Whatever, he’s in shape now and all I care about. 

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s funny but kinda mean. He said he gained weight after his mom died and was out of shape at OTAs, but not camp. Whatever, he’s in shape now and all I care about. 

I’ve got zero issues with him.     Love him as a player.    Hopefully the passing game looks better with AJMc/Allen over Taylor/Peterman and he gets more opportunities. 

12 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Did they miss a beat when he wasn't starting?  No.

Newton is not that good.  He will not be starting in 4 years.

8th highest PASSING yards in his first 7 seasons in NFL history

9th highest PASSING TD's in his first 7 seasons in NFL history

Most RUSHING yards by a QB in his first 7 seasons in NFL history

Most RUSHING TD's by a QB in his first 7 seasons in NFL history

3rd highest TOTAL yards by a QB in his first 7 seasons in NFL history

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Inappropriate language

6 hours ago, dgr81 said:

I'm just going to ask you how today's game might be a little bit different than in the past and how many superbowls this guy has won, how his interception rate is, how much is actual eye test to Quality matters?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Inappropriate language

8 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Alright who else is on the "screw this guy" train?

I know TBD has a penchent for making wisecracks when they see a joke tee'd up for them.. pun intended fellas. Pun is usually intended.

Side note. I hope this new regime had some knowledge of KB's resentment because if the DC and assistant GM had no friggin clue.. they're not very observant for preaching themselves up as so called locker room characters gurus. Of course they had to pretend KB wouldn't be like this.. but I hope they had some knowledge of the situation. You can't come into a team with that philosophy of building high character close knit lockerrooms with a resume of not knowing what's going on in your locker room

...not sure what the hell you're yapping about.....Benjamin HIMSELF dug up his Carolina past and started firing bullets....I'd bet 99.98% of the TBD'ers could care less about the past......he's here, in shape (not the alleged 260-275+ in Carolina), appears to now be healthy and is earning positive kudos with camp performance...nothing else matters IMO....

• Like (+1) 3

Olsen surprised by Kelvin Benjamin's 'weird' remarks

Greg Olsen says he was a little surprised by the "weird" comments Kelvin Benjamin made about Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers, adding that the quarterback is "the best thing that's ever happened to my career."

"It's kind of weird," said Olsen when asked Sunday what he believed might have sparked Benjamin's sharp criticism. "I think we all felt the same way. We all wish Kelvin the best. Obviously, things change, but, again, we've talked at length about how guys around here feel about Cam. Obviously you don't like people going after your quarterback, but I think Cam knows how the guys around here feel about him."

4 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Alright who else is on the "screw this guy" train?

I know TBD has a penchent for making wisecracks when they see a joke tee'd up for them.. pun intended fellas. Pun is usually intended.

Side note. I hope this new regime had some knowledge of KB's resentment because if the DC and assistant GM had no friggin clue.. they're not very observant for preaching themselves up as so called locker room characters gurus. Of course they had to pretend KB wouldn't be like this.. but I hope they had some knowledge of the situation. You can't come into a team with that philosophy of building high character close knit lockerrooms with a resume of not knowing what's going on in your locker room

What?

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [reopened. behave your fine selves] Kelvin Benjamin criticizes time with Panthers, Cam Newton
  • Hapless Bills Fan unlocked this topic
6 hours ago, dgr81 said:

Good points.  Cam has a pretty impressive track record of accomplishments as a QB

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I remember Steve Smith backhanded Cam pretty hard after he left the Panthers. Said he was finally playing with a real QB or something (Flacco). They didn’t have the best relationship going back to the early days

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/blogs/shutdown-corner/steve-smith-rips-cam-newton-loss-giants-quarterback-180025405--nfl.html

Also good point.  There have been murmurs and rumors for a long time that in addition to what the public sees (sideline behavior, tantrum-y stuff), he hasn't always been the best of teammates.

Independent of Cam, I just think KB's comments are a bad look.  I would like him to "mind his own store" and focus on improving his catch percentage every day.  And on staying fit and healthy.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since this is current and topical, let's try reopening it now that I've taken out the trash.

Behave your fine selves and try to disagree without being disagreeable so it stays open.

I wanna be like you when I grow up.?

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm not sure I liked the way the coach handled the situation. He calls out KB for calling out the Panthers? Seems a little hypocritical to me. 

He should have kept it in the lockerroom instead of calling him out in the press. I'm a little disappointed in McDermott's behavior. 

Edited by westside

Cam has carried the Panthers franchise on his back since he was drafted. He broke Peyton Manning's rookie QB passing TD record. Maybe Cam is an unlikeable diva but he is a great football player.

Benjamin's comments do not reflect well.

It's funny reading this story. I naturally assumed that black athletes would not take swipes at other black athletes, especially iconic ones like Cam Newton but I guess it shows you how little we know.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Cam has carried the Panthers franchise on his back since he was drafted. He broke Peyton Manning's rookie QB passing TD record. Maybe Cam is an unlikeable diva but he is a great football player.

Benjamin's comments do not reflect well.

It's funny reading this story. I naturally assumed that black athletes would not take swipes at other black athletes, especially iconic ones like Cam Newton but I guess it shows you how little we know.

If you regard black athletes as some sort of monolith, as if they are of the same mind, belong to the same culture, have the same philosophies, or have the same opinions on things, it will come off as a bit racist. Just a heads up.

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If you regard black athletes as some sort of monolith, as if they are of the same mind, belong to the same culture, have the same philosophies, or have the same opinions on things, it will come off as a bit racist. Just a heads up.

I understand the risk in expressing that but I perceive that some people don't like Cam Newton for reasons of race and I expected most African American athletes to have his back as Warren Moon does. Benjamin's preference for playing with Rodgers or Roethlisberger surprised me as it implies that Newton is somehow not in their category.

I acknowledge and am aware of divergent views in the black community and realize that no identifiable community is homogenous in opinion or political orientation.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I understand the risk in expressing that but I perceive that some people don't like Cam Newton for reasons of race and I expected most African American athletes to have his back as Warren Moon does. Benjamin's preference for playing with Rodgers or Roethlisberger surprised me as it implies that Newton is somehow not in their category.

I acknowledge and am aware of divergent views in the black community and realize that no identifiable community is homogenous in opinion or political orientation.

Have you ever considered that people might not like his actions on the field or on the sidelines? I’m sure that turns off many more folks fans than does the color of his skin. 

If Josh Allen starts acting like Superman after every good play and then putting a towel over his head when things get tough I won’t like him either. 

Just now, Commonsense said:

Have you ever considered that people might not like his actions on the field or on the sidelines? I’m sure that turns off many more folks fans than does the color of his skin. 

If Josh Allen starts acting like Superman after every good play and then putting a towel over his head when things get tough I won’t like him either. 

Newton is a talented, confident, good looking, successful and flambuoyant African American man. He's probably been spoilt by parents and coaches most of his life and comes across like a selfish diva. I think that some of the backlash against him has some racism to it. In my eyes, he has backed up all his claims with is play and is a truly unique and stellar talent who has done extremely well with mediocre support at the skill positions (except Greg Olsen).

9 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I don’t like throwing the race cars around Newton because clearly, he is far from perfect as a leader.  But it is interesting you hear far less backlash when Rodgers did his celebrations and when Brady would scream at his coaches and players.  There seem to be some double standard.s in how some players are covered.  I’m not sure if it is race related but it’s prett obvious other guys don’t get the grief Newton gets.