[reopened. behave your fine selves] Kelvin Benjamin criticizes time with Panthers, Cam Newton

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It sounds very much like KB will not be with the Bills next year... which will make a lot of fans happy it appears!

Unless we are in the playoff hunt, he will be gone at the trading deadline. imho.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

212 TDs in 7 years is very far from mediocre.

His passing yards and passingtouchdowns are average/mediocre. 

Mix in his rushing, he looks a lot better. Cam is a great athlete and an average quarterback. He will turn 30 after this season. IF Cam is to reach greatness I think he will need to change his game to more like Rothlisberger at the same age.A big body quarterback who is hard to take down in the pocket. 

Interesting perspective from Jordan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer.  Steve Smith's comments also telling from the embedded video. 

Yes, former Panther Kelvin Benjamin took a jab at Cam Newton, but here are the facts.

Former Carolina Panthers receiver Kelvin Benjamin took a not-so-subtle jab at quarterback Cam Newton this week, just days before Benjamin’s current team, the Buffalo Bills, takes on the Panthers in Week 1 of the preseason.

Benjamin, the 2014 first-round draft pick of the Panthers, was interviewed by Tim Graham of The Athletic, and was asked to assess his career since his rookie season.

“I mean, I felt like I would’ve been even more successful if ... I don’t know, man ... If I would’ve ... Looking back on it, I should’ve just been drafted by somebody else. I should’ve never went to Carolina,” he told Graham.

“Truly, I just think Carolina was bad for me. It was a bad fit from the get-go. If you would’ve put me with any other quarterback, let’s be real, you know what I’m saying? Any other accurate quarterback like (Aaron) Rodgers or Eli Manning or Big Ben (Ben Roethlisberger) — anybody! — quarterbacks with knowledge, that know-how to place a ball and give you a better chance to catch the ball. It just felt like I wasn’t in that position.”

Social media, of course, lit up with commentary about Benjamin’s remark.

So it might be nice to present a few facts, to hopefully cut through all of the noise.

First, Benjamin is absolutely entitled to his own “bad fit from the get-go” opinion, but statistically it is inaccurate.

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Interesting perspective from Jordan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer.  Steve Smith's comments also telling from the embedded video. 

Yes, former Panther Kelvin Benjamin took a jab at Cam Newton, but here are the facts.

Former Carolina Panthers receiver Kelvin Benjamin took a not-so-subtle jab at quarterback Cam Newton this week, just days before Benjamin’s current team, the Buffalo Bills, takes on the Panthers in Week 1 of the preseason.

Benjamin, the 2014 first-round draft pick of the Panthers, was interviewed by Tim Graham of The Athletic, and was asked to assess his career since his rookie season.

“I mean, I felt like I would’ve been even more successful if ... I don’t know, man ... If I would’ve ... Looking back on it, I should’ve just been drafted by somebody else. I should’ve never went to Carolina,” he told Graham.

“Truly, I just think Carolina was bad for me. It was a bad fit from the get-go. If you would’ve put me with any other quarterback, let’s be real, you know what I’m saying? Any other accurate quarterback like (Aaron) Rodgers or Eli Manning or Big Ben (Ben Roethlisberger) — anybody! — quarterbacks with knowledge, that know-how to place a ball and give you a better chance to catch the ball. It just felt like I wasn’t in that position.”

Social media, of course, lit up with commentary about Benjamin’s remark.

So it might be nice to present a few facts, to hopefully cut through all of the noise.

First, Benjamin is absolutely entitled to his own “bad fit from the get-go” opinion, but statistically it is inaccurate.

...didn't he show up at Carolina camp at a svelte 260 or 270+?....saw a couple of pics and he almost looked like Lorenzen......now where health issues have cropped up AND in a contract year, he wants to start yapping?.....makes perfect sense......

6 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

“Them” don’t believe this serves any constructive purpose on a young team searching for an identity and leadership on the Offensive side of the ball.

exactly.
Hope McBeanes talked to him about this.

do your job Kelvin and all will be well

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It sounds very much like KB will not be with the Bills next year... which will make a lot of fans happy it appears!

I don't know if i feel that way yet.
I want him to succeed. I honestly do !

Last thing i recall about him was the blatant push off in the endzone last year. Left a bad taste, and he has yet to redeem himself. Reports from camp mention more than once and from more than one , he drops passes he should catch.

Prefer he focused on his work ethic and not blaming others.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  Beane brought Benjamin in here giving him very high marks - the coaches will love him, the players will love him, his attitude etc etc etc

Now Benjamin running his mouth, nothing is his fault, he should have been drafted to play with Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben.  News flash Benjamin:  neither of those guys play for Buffalo.

Unless there's a whole lot of laundry behind the scene he knows about that we don't, Beane has got to be saying "uh-oh"

I wonder how this plays out behind the scenes, now? KB did state he had been "holding it all in." It's likely that Beane had no idea whatsoever about KB's animosity towards Newton. But now that dirty laundry has been aired, I have to believe there is going to be a serious sit-down with KB, Beane, and McD. 

One element that strikes me also, was the mention of burying his mother. It makes me think that there were unkind, or insensitive remarks made by Newton during that period that have stuck in KB's craw ever since, and is coming out now in this rather inarticulate fashion. Those unspoken issues are the sort of thing that can really get into someone's head, and affect their game-- especially someone with maturity issues.

Maybe this becomes a learning experience for an immature KB? Or, maybe this is an indication of problems on the horizon?

As a fan, I actually sort of enjoy the dramas that play out off the field. I enjoy rooting for players as people, as well as athletes. And, so far, immaturity notwithstanding, I kinda like KB. I hope this drama has a happy ending.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

..pretty pathetic I'd say "26"......do you really want to test McD's focus and mettle?.......Zay is in the outhouse because his "knee surgery" resulted from a deep laceration sustained during his "escapade romp"...had NOTHING to do with football.....so now Kelvin wants to test 'em?....didn't he show up at Carolina camp at a svelte 260-270?.......a real commitment.....and now with health issues in his CONTRACT YEAR, he spouts off?....guess 'ol Ron White said it best....SMH.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..pretty pathetic I'd say "26"......do you really want to test McD's focus and mettle?.......Zay is in the outhouse because his "knee surgery" resulted from a deep laceration sustained during his "escapade romp"...had NOTHING to do with football.....so now Kelvin wants to test 'em?.......guess 'ol Ron White said it best....SMH.....

It's Tim Graham's fault. :lol:  Minor blip and we're moving on. 

Alright who else is on the "screw this guy" train?

I know TBD has a penchent for making wisecracks when they see a joke tee'd up for them.. pun intended fellas. Pun is usually intended.

Side note. I hope this new regime had some knowledge of KB's resentment because if the DC and assistant GM had no friggin clue.. they're not very observant for preaching themselves up as so called locker room characters gurus. Of course they had to pretend KB wouldn't be like this.. but I hope they had some knowledge of the situation. You can't come into a team with that philosophy of building high character close knit lockerrooms with a resume of not knowing what's going on in your locker room

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

“Them” don’t believe this serves any constructive purpose on a young team searching for an identity and leadership on the Offensive side of the ball.

I'll speak for "them" (me and my disappointed fellow posters). Ya just can't do that.. ya just.. can't. Honestly the last WR I remember throw this punch was TO.. who was likely more right that he was carrying the weight on his team and could carry more.

It speaks badly to our regime preaching high character locker room buddies and bringing this dude while pushing the Swatkins team destroyer narrative. Christ Swatkins looks like an angel compared to this. AND he was more productive.

I remember Steve Smith backhanded Cam pretty hard after he left the Panthers. Said he was finally playing with a real QB or something (Flacco). They didn’t have the best relationship going back to the early days

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/blogs/shutdown-corner/steve-smith-rips-cam-newton-loss-giants-quarterback-180025405--nfl.html

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1