Why Do the Bills Need a New Stadium ??

T master

On 8/3/2018 at 12:09 PM, Lv-Bills said:

They don't.  And look around, they are planning on staying there a long time.  Thank God.  Most of the new stadiums blow.  Keep renovating what we have.  It's one of the best atmospheres in the league.  There's also nothing wrong with the stadium itself.  The one thing people harp on are the concourses.  And could they be wider?  Yep.  Was there ever a time where I didn't want to go to a Bills game because it might take another 60 seconds to traverse a smaller concourse? No.

There's no way they are moving downtown.  It couldn't be more clear.

The bathrooms leak sewage... I like the field, but only because I grew up with it. It's an absolute dump. Will I survive with out a new one, of course, but I'm not going to sit here and lie about it. 

9 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I disagree. If you like bare bones then its a fine stadium. I was just at Progressive field in Cleveland and the amenities there were some of the best. Between the amazing food offerings and the craft brews makes it a great place to see a game. There is even a nice bar area that you can sit at and watch the game from. That is the kind of things that is missing at New Era Field. 

I guess people in Buffalo don't like change or state of the art amenities. 

Yeah and a lot of people don't give a **** about any of that. And a lot do. Big picture: it is unnecessary...assuming

the owners don't buy it themselves completely.  

On 8/4/2018 at 11:16 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Most of the 40-60 yr olds I know are "over" the "trendy bar scene". 

An increase in comfort and an improvement in game day experience might bring them back....the perception of "out of control drunkenness" is a factor, but most of it is stuff like not too far-fetched a bathroom wait for the ladies (with a reasonably cleanliness), and also being able to sit one's booty butt down through the game and still see it....standing all game long is a teen through 30s scene. 

These kind of changes to improve the fan experience could be made with the current stadium, if the will was there.  People have made the suggestions here - have "standing room" sections and "must sit" sections etc.

I don't see the problem with standing. I'll say that's the one complaint that has always annoyed me. I can be completely sober and courteous and some one wants to yell at me to sit down. I never do, if you can't stand for 3 hours and you're not in a wheel chair, don't go to the game. 

The other stuff I can see why someone wouldn't want to deal with, but standing? Anyone who complains needs to get over that and I hope they sit behind me. Because I'm not sitting for them. Those chairs suck anyways 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ch.2 or Ralph would have to buy the last few thousand seats to lift the blackout. Even playoff games.

That's a good point.  I do remember that happening, but I don't remember what years or what months.  It kind of seemed like it happened no matter what month it was.  It seemed to always go to Thursday no matter what. 

The political climate now looks like the owners would have to cover most of the cost for a new stadium.

Would the Pegulas eat that cost or pass it on with PSL and way more expensive tickets is the big ?

If that major cost was passed on the season ticket holders should have a vote on new stadium or renovate New Era.

The recent investments there make me guess renovate continues, unless Delaware North donates big for a new stadium.

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't see the problem with standing. I'll say that's the one complaint that has always annoyed me. I can be completely sober and courteous and some one wants to yell at me to sit down. I never do, if you can't stand for 3 hours and you're not in a wheel chair, don't go to the game. 

The other stuff I can see why someone wouldn't want to deal with, but standing? Anyone who complains needs to get over that and I hope they sit behind me. Because I'm not sitting for them. Those chairs suck anyways 

Why would I go to a game to stand for 3 hours? There is no need to stand all game....big plays coming up on defense I can see, but all game...that's ridiculous

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If you want to pay 2-3X for tickets so you can have 'bright, and shiny', then become a Jets fan.

A good friend was a Jets season ticket holder for many years. When the new stadium was built, he was asked to cough up $26K in PSL's for his four seats. He told the Jets to rub salt.

Do you think that won't happen here?

A new stadium is not going to make the team play better, and I am amazed by the mentality that we  JUST HAVE to have 'new', when what we do have, is perfectly fine

Except its not. Its old and breaking down, and the cost to renovate is nearly the cost of building new thanks to it partially being underground.

The NFL wants Buffalo to have a new stadium. What the NFL wants, the NFL gets. Get ready for it. 

Some of the Atlanta PSL's were $500. Buffalo PSL's wont be that expensive, everyone needs to calm down with those numbers. I can see them being on average $2,500. which based on the 58,000 seasons the sold last year would be an additional $145,000,000.

I absolutely think people would pay that to be in the new stadium. 

That's the catch 22 with a new stadium.  

Buffalo has the fans.... but not the high end clientele to pony up several thousands of dollars-plus just for the rights to buy a seat.  People will punt on that and wait on the secondary market to go to games.  Seat Licenses would have to be very careful and modest.  If the team becomes a competitive and well-run one, there is plenty of room to increase ticket pricing/

We also don't have the fortune 500/100 presence and clientele in the area to fill fancy suites and clubs. 

We are a largely football-oriented fan base, so a lot of the bells and whistles will be lost on us.  It will detract some % of people from the game, which will kill the atmosphere they have built.  Fan inclusion/crowd noise effecting the play, etc.

I think studies have uncovered some of these realities, which may have taken a bit of wind out of the sails to rush a grand facility approaching what MIN and ATL have put up.  They may be back to the drawing board for something a bit more modest.  

I just want a place built for fans to watch a football game.  Great sight lines, seats close to the field.  Good noise harnessing.  Wouldnt mind improved bathrooms, concourses, etc.  I really have no desire or use for all sorts of lounges and such.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's all about potential for revenue.

The Bills fall behind because they only charge so much, as we all know Bills tickets remain among the cheapest in the league

The "answer" gets murkier when we widdle down, a) who and how will this be paid for, b) what kind of stadium do we (meaning Buffalo taxpayers) want vs what the NFL wants, and c) location, infrastructure and mixed use capabilities. 

The league wants Buffalo to get a new stadium so they can charge more money and make more money for themselves, and thus increase Buffalo's valuation and the overall league as well. 

This is monetarily impossible with the current stadium. Its as renovated as it can be barring a complete retrofit/overall that would take years, and that possibility raises further logistical issues, namely, where does Buffalo play while under construction. 

So there remains a disconnect between local public opinion, spending money, and what the NFL fully expects Bills ownership to accomplish in the next 5-10 years. 

Buffalo will get a new stadium folks, it's just a matter of when.

This will test and strain the market's ability to support the team like never before.

I fully expect the overall gameday experience to change for what most Bills game attendees would consider for the worst.

If you want a team, how much are you willing to pay for it?

This is by no means me arguing that taxpayer funded stadia is a good thing. It's just unfortunately the price of doing business in the 21st century NFL. 

I'd like to see a new stadium.  I have not been to a Bills game in quite a while, and the main reason is the amount of idiots.  I'm hoping that a new stadium means higher ticket prices and a lot less idiots in and around the stadium on gameday.

Also, I've worked at the Ralph, and it is a pretty run-down shithole, and that was back in the early 2000's.  I know they have spent some money on it since then, but that just seems like turd polishing.

Get on with it, and design and build a proper stadium IMO.

Edited by Magnetar

29 minutes ago, Magnetar said:

I'd like to see a new stadium.  I have not been to a Bills game in quite a while, and the main reason is the amount of idiots.  I'm hoping that a new stadium means higher ticket prices and a lot less idiots in and around the stadium on gameday.

Also, I've worked at the Ralph, and it is a pretty run-down shithole, and that was back in the early 2000's.  I know they have spent some money on it since then, but that just seems like turd polishing.

Get on with it, and design and build a proper stadium IMO.

that's a pretty lousy reason not to enjoy a game.  just spend a bit more money and sit in the clubs.  the clubs are not idiot friendly, and the experience is great.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, teef said:

that's a pretty lousy reason not to enjoy a game.  just spend a bit more money and sit in the clubs.  the clubs are not idiot friendly, and the experience is great.

I would also say that the in-stadium "idiot" has been marginalized to great extents over the past 10 years.  There is a huge security presence, and any trouble they swarm.  

Granted, its still not the most polished crowd, and you shouldnt bring a 5-year-old... but the in-stadium hi jinx is a shadow of what it used to be.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

That's the catch 22 with a new stadium.  

Buffalo has the fans.... but not the high end clientele to pony up several thousands of dollars-plus just for the rights to buy a seat.  People will punt on that and wait on the secondary market to go to games.  Seat Licenses would have to be very careful and modest.  If the team becomes a competitive and well-run one, there is plenty of room to increase ticket pricing/

We also don't have the fortune 500/100 presence and clientele in the area to fill fancy suites and clubs. 

We are a largely football-oriented fan base, so a lot of the bells and whistles will be lost on us.  It will detract some % of people from the game, which will kill the atmosphere they have built.  Fan inclusion/crowd noise effecting the play, etc.

I think studies have uncovered some of these realities, which may have taken a bit of wind out of the sails to rush a grand facility approaching what MIN and ATL have put up.  They may be back to the drawing board for something a bit more modest.  

I just want a place built for fans to watch a football game.  Great sight lines, seats close to the field.  Good noise harnessing.  Wouldnt mind improved bathrooms, concourses, etc.  I really have no desire or use for all sorts of lounges and such.   

Spoken like a true Bills fan !! I'm with you !! 

I've been to Jerry world & was not impressed at all !!  Sure it's big but it's mostly about Jerry's ego & the look at how much money i have & what i can build !!

If as a fan you are that ate up with the players all sweaty walking through the lounge/bar that you are in you are more about the party than the actual game .

If the PSL's are even close to what they are in ATL there will be a lot more folks sitting home watching the game in there own living rooms rather than putting up with

cost/traffic & all the other things when you go to a game .

Especially if there isn't much tail gating space in B/Lo ! That is a HUGE part of the game day experience in Buffalo !!

Buffalo isn't Dallas or NYC & i don't think most fans want it to be if they can build it in the image of the Bills & it's community then i think we all would be for it !!

A know a lot of the older fans are happy with a place to see the game, their labatt blue and a hot dog. To grow their fan base they need more bells and whistles. For me personally being able to have some good craft brews and better food options like pulled pork on a bun, tacos,  cheese steak sandwiches. Why not offer some of the food like Key Bank centre has? 

I am finding it hard to understand why so many of you wouldn't want a stadium that offers those things. 

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I am finding it hard to understand why so many of you wouldn't want a stadium that offers those things. 

I think many fans fear being priced out.  However, I think it could be better for the game experience to weed out the peanut gallery a bit.

Edited by Magnetar

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I would also say that the in-stadium "idiot" has been marginalized to great extents over the past 10 years.  There is a huge security presence, and any trouble they swarm.  

Granted, its still not the most polished crowd, and you shouldnt bring a 5-year-old... but the in-stadium hi jinx is a shadow of what it used to be.

absolutely.  the security has gotten pretty efficient.  whenever i've seen a fight brewing, security has it sniffed it out long before there's an actual problem.  most of the antics now tend to be outside of the stadium, and for the most part, it's completely overblown.  

7 minutes ago, Magnetar said:

I think many fans fear being priced out.  However, I think it could be better for the game experience to weed out the peanut gallery a bit.

Sorry but the NFL is no longer your grandfathers NFL. At some point ticket prices will rise to be more in line with the league average. When it does happen the stadium has to offer more amenities then the bare bones it has now. A lot of people are willing to pay higher prices if the experience is worth it. That means better food and beer as well as nice lounge to see the game from. 

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Sorry but the NFL is no longer your grandfathers NFL. At some point ticket prices will rise to be more in line with the league average. When it does happen the stadium has to offer more amenities then the bare bones it has now. A lot of people are willing to pay higher prices if the experience is worth it. That means better food and beer as well as nice lounge to see the game from. 

See Falcons, Atlanta. That place was amazing. 

Granted Buffalo would be nothing like that, but the environment was not sterile at all, in a dome. 

47 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

A know a lot of the older fans are happy with a place to see the game, their labatt blue and a hot dog. To grow their fan base they need more bells and whistles. For me personally being able to have some good craft brews and better food options like pulled pork on a bun, tacos,  cheese steak sandwiches. Why not offer some of the food like Key Bank centre has? 

I have no problem with better food options being served more efficiently as well as craft beer options.  Also, efficient and comfortable bathrooms wouldnt be horrible.  Wouldnt mind a concourse-deck either for standing room only tickets.  Improved aesthetics, some kind of roof/protection from the wind and direct precipitation, etc.

However, a lot of the "lounges" and extra-exclusive "clubs" inside the facility IMO would be lost here.... and have no value to me personally.  If I am paying an extra premium per ticket for access to an interactive fantasy football lounge, and during the game, anywhere between 20-40% of people are constantly wandering around like its some sort of high end football-themed pub crawl... I'm probably going to stop going (and I believe many Bills fans would, while there is a shortage of corporate types to fill the void).