Why Do the Bills Need a New Stadium ??

T master

We don't need a new stadium at all. There's nothing wrong with the current venue. NFL owners spew this nonsense to get the govt to cough up money and people believe it. I have never in my life taken 'stadium cost' into consideration when deciding whether or not to attend a game. I'd rather they spent the money educating our children and paying teachers a decent wage.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We don't need a new stadium at all. There's nothing wrong with the current venue. NFL owners spew this nonsense to get the govt to cough up money and people believe it. I have never in my life taken 'stadium cost' into consideration when deciding whether or not to attend a game. I'd rather they spent the money educating our children and paying teachers a decent wage.

I disagree. If you like bare bones then its a fine stadium. I was just at Progressive field in Cleveland and the amenities there were some of the best. Between the amazing food offerings and the craft brews makes it a great place to see a game. There is even a nice bar area that you can sit at and watch the game from. That is the kind of things that is missing at New Era Field. 

I guess people in Buffalo don't like change or state of the art amenities. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's also worth noting that for all the professed love for football in the elements, December games are pretty empty. But Promo, the playoff drought! I'm old enough to remember the playoff years and December games were always a tough sell. The fact is there are more people who want to be comfortable at games, not risking pneumonia.

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

History already shows the opposite.

I don't remember many empty seats at December games during the playoff years - except for maybe, and I'm not even sure about that - the record breaking cold game on 12/26/93. 

The Raiders 12/11/88 was the coldest game up until then.  Here's the attendance - 77,348

Now I looked up that 12/26/93 game - attendance 70,817

And, it was the way it should be - 3 games on the road that December.  Only that one home game. 

22 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't remember many empty seats at December games during the playoff years - except for maybe, and I'm not even sure about that - the record breaking cold game on 12/26/93. 

The Raiders 12/11/88 was the coldest game up until then.  Here's the attendance - 77,348

Now I looked up that 12/26/93 game - attendance 70,817

And, it was the way it should be - 3 games on the road that December.  Only that one home game. 

Ch.2 or Ralph would have to buy the last few thousand seats to lift the blackout. Even playoff games.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

If by “ we” you mean the general public, you are correct. The team , however has a limited revenue stream possible at the current venue. Their just aren’t enough high end amenities to attract a crowd that’s willing to pay for them. Including climate control and fewer rowdies. A new stadium with high end amenities, fewer seats and guaranteed 72 degrees at kickoff would change that. It’s about appealing to a well to do fan who currently stays at home or goes out somewhere else to watch the game. There just isn’t much pricing power at the outdated current facility. Tickets go for above face value on secondary market already , and the Bills get zero of those dollars. 

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ch.2 or Ralph would have to buy the last few thousand seats to lift the blackout. Even playoff games.

Who wants to sit in the nosebleeds and freeze? It was always a tough sell for the last few of the cheap seats, even when the team was excellent. A new stadium would probably change that. Ticket prices would be higher and capacity would decrease, so even the worst seats in the place would be relatively scarce . 

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I disagree. If you like bare bones then its a fine stadium. I was just at Progressive field in Cleveland and the amenities there were some of the best. Between the amazing food offerings and the craft brews makes it a great place to see a game. There is even a nice bar area that you can sit at and watch the game from. That is the kind of things that is missing at New Era Field. 

I think a lot of the negative reaction is a result of Buffalo’s traditional blue collar mentality. Upper middle class culture as a whole has become quite homogenous in this country (meaning it’s easy to figure out what the groups tastes are), and this is the group the NFL wants to target.  The league specifically targets this class with non-football luxuries that have nothing to do with the game. These are the people who the league can fleece for seat licenses. Many working class folks are simply concerned that they won’t have a seat at the table anymore. I can’t speak for everyone, but I think that’s one of the main concerns.

13 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I think a lot of the negative reaction is a result of Buffalo’s traditional blue collar mentality. Upper middle class culture as a whole has become quite homogenous in this country (meaning it’s easy to figure out what the groups tastes are), and this is the group the NFL wants to target.  The league specifically targets this class with non-football luxuries that have nothing to do with the game. These are the people who the league can fleece for seat licenses. Many working class folks are simply concerned that they won’t have a seat at the table anymore. I can’t speak for everyone, but I think that’s one of the main concerns.

What is so bad about wanting better beer than GENNY LIGHT or your typical sausage or hot dog. What is so bad about wanting a bar area where you can see the game inside the stadium?

For me its all about the experience and amenities at the stadium. If I am going to a bare bones stadium like New Era Field I might as well stay and get a better view from my tv. 

22 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

What is so bad about wanting better beer than GENNY LIGHT or your typical sausage or hot dog. What is so bad about wanting a bar area where you can see the game inside the stadium?

For me its all about the experience and amenities at the stadium. If I am going to a bare bones stadium like New Era Field I might as well stay and get a better view from my tv. 

Nothing is bad about having your own tastes. I’d be happy watching football with a Labatt Blue and hot dog in the bleachers. That doesn’t mean I’m right and you’re wrong. Everyone has different tastes, and there is nothing wrong with that. Some fans are simply worried that affordability goes out the window in a new stadium featuring luxurious amenities. There is nothing wrong with craft beer and decent food, but it’s likely they’d be accompanied by PSL’s and the like. As far as staying home for a better view on TV,  I’d apply that rule to every stadium in the league.  I agree that attending the game is more about the experience, but not everyone agrees on what constitutes a good experience. After all, that’s why this is such a frequent topic on TBD. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Nothing is bad about having your own tastes. I’d be happy watching football with a Labatt Blue and hot dog in the bleachers. That doesn’t mean I’m right and you’re wrong. Everyone has different tastes, and there is nothing wrong with that. Some fans are simply worried that affordability goes out the window in a new stadium featuring luxurious amenities. There is nothing wrong with craft beer and decent food, but it’s likely they’d be accompanied by PSL’s and the like. As far as staying home for a better view on TV,  I’d apply that rule to every stadium in the league.  I agree that attending the game is more about the experience, but not everyone agrees on what constitutes a good experience. After all, that’s why this is such a frequent topic on TBD. 

It seems like a lot of the people on this board are older fans that are not into the way the new football and baseball stadiums are built aside from the PSL's. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

also 80,000 seats back then.....a few thousand means 77,000 tickets were sold...5K more than it seats now...average attendance was always upper 70s

Edited by nucci

2 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Please elaborate. 

Stadium is smaller now

Regionalization, nfl is more popular, and a larger pool of fans.  Visiting teams travel better.

Internet, online sales, secondary market, speculation, etc.  

4 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

So you’re saying if we were a Super Bowl contender, we’d be selling out the stadium in December?  I think that’s definitely possible. 

Id say, even if they were on par with someone like baltimore... season tickets would be capped with a locked on waiting list.  Right when home playoff games are a realistic possibility

On 8/7/2018 at 8:38 AM, May Day 10 said:

In my estimation, the amount of upheaval and cost downtown would be much more than $100-$200 million worth.  I think we are talking $200-$400 million range.  Land acquisition, demolition, disposal (likely hazardous materials mixed in there), numerous additional engineering studies, re-building a piece of 190 and access/egress, rebuilding roads, pipes, electric, etc.  There is a LOT of work that needs to be done.  When it is all said and done.... why?  10 games and a few concerts. The same new stadium could be built in place with virtually no 'overhead' costs they (we) need to pay for downtown.  

hey, it would keep people employed!

5 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

So you’re saying if we were a Super Bowl contender, we’d be selling out the stadium in December?  I think that’s definitely possible. 

Not necessarily. Even in the glory years, there were plenty of games the Bills didn't sell out in December.

8 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Heck, I would just like to be able to run to the men’s room during a commercial break and then make it back to my seat without missing a play.  It can be down in modern well laid out facilities.  

Not having some drunk piss in the sink would be an added bonus.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Yea I can't wait to run into you at the nice bar area enjoying craft brews enjoying amazing food offerings  *barf*

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BUNCH OF MULARKEY said:

Yea I can't wait to run into you at the nice bar area enjoying craft brews enjoying amazing food offerings  *barf*

Whats wrong with craft brews and wanting to eat something better then sauages or hotdogs. Oh I know its too sophisticated for you. You just want your Genny light and a bench to watch the game.