Aaron Donald. Are the Rams thinking of trading him?

I was thinking about this yesterday and was going to post something but got too lazy. Now I ran across this article just now and it starts confirming a bit what I was thinking. I don’t believe the Rams were ever planning on locking up Donald hence the signing of Suh. I believe that they signed Suh as insurance, bracing themselves for another hold out by Donald. Furthermore I really believe that they are going to trade him before it’s all said and done. 

Now I would love for the Bills to trade for him but that will never happen, especially after they just got out from under Dareus’ monster contract. I wonder that if indeed that the Rams trade him what team will step up for him. Green Bay? Dallas? Input will be appreciated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/rams-coo-aaron-donalds-side-sees-his-value-one-way-we-see-it-differently/

Edited by Tipster19
Vague title

36 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I believe the Bills have a better chance at Mack than this scenario for all the reasons I've posted elsewhere. Darnold is going nowhere, but Mack is in play.

I agree Darnold is going nowhere, but what about Aaron Donald?

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If it wasn’t for the franchise tag, we would have the money to go after Donald and Mack next year.  

Brady might reconsider his 4-5 more years idea 

I just don’t understand how the franchise tag is acceptable to anyone??

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

I was thinking about this yesterday and was going to post something but got too lazy. Now I ran across this article just now and it starts confirming a bit what I was thinking. I don’t believe the Rams were ever planning on locking up Donald hence the signing of Suh. I believe that they signed Suh as insurance, bracing themselves for another hold out by Donald. Furthermore I really believe that they are going to trade him before it’s all said and done. 

Now I would love for the Bills to trade for him but that will never happen, especially after they just got out from under Dareus’ monster contract. I wonder that if indeed that the Rams trade him what team will step up for him. Green Bay? Dallas? Input will be appreciated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/rams-coo-aaron-donalds-side-sees-his-value-one-way-we-see-it-differently/

Donald dominates games consistently in the trenches.  He's what Marcel could/should be.  That dude will be worth all the money he gets.  

Edited by purple haze

It seems unlikely the Rams intend to trade Donald. There is NO indication that's on the horizon. Signing Suh is a complimentary, not supplementary, move. Less Snead has compiled a win-now roster, and trading Donald works counter to that momentum, AND jettisons the MOST disruptive interior DL talent in the NFL. Doesn't add up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree Darnold is going nowhere, but what about Aaron Donald?

so you are one of those types that likes to argue typos, instead of points, got it.

let's talk facts.

The Bills have a better chance of landing Mack than Donald. By every measure. Both are game changing.

Edited PS - on record, would rather have Mack.

Edited by RocCityRoller

Not sure you're right about Mack vs. Donald, but you could be.

I see the odds on the Bills getting either one as being infinitesimal. Just an opinion, obviously. They could use either guy but the new F.O. has said they don't believe in building through high-ticket FAs, and their history backs that up.

We'll see, I guess.

4 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Donald is the ACTUAL best defensive player in the NFL.  I would take him 100 days out of 100.  

Both people mentioned will stay where they are in LA and Oakland.  The tag ensures that point and you can tag each of them when contract is up for two years, so I believe both have a year left on contract.  That is three years.

As far as holdouts, it’s the only leverage a player has, but if a Mexican standoff, it’s a matter of who blinks first.  There is speculation the Raiders are cash strapped so could be part of why Mack hasn’t received a new contract.  From what I understand, when you have so much guaranteed, you have to have enough capital to pay.  This is one of the reasons it’s great having the Pegulas own our team as they are filthy rich, and happy for them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Aaron Donald is a great player.  Can you name me one defensive tackle who got a huge contract, continued to do well, and whose play vaulted their team to contention?

There may be one, but the players who come to mind for me are Haynesworth, Dareus and Suh.

Sapp. The money he signed for doesn't sound huge now but it was then.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sapp. The money he signed for doesn't sound huge now but it was then.  

Works for me.

I just wonder if the Rams look at the value of the position they are paying and hesitate to pay a Defensive Tackle 20 million dollars a year.  Again, Donald is a great players but the team is 28-36 since he has been in the league.  They were great last year, but it was because they were outscoring everyone.

Personally if I am paying guys that much money they better score touchdowns.  Otherwise, they better play QB, LT or be my main Pass Rusher.  Rams need to decide whether Donald in Phillips system is their #1 pass rusher from the DT spot.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Works for me.

I just wonder if the Rams look at the value of the position they are paying and hesitate to pay a Defensive Tackle 20 million dollars a year.  Again, Donald is a great players but the team is 28-36 since he has been in the league.  They were great last year, but it was because they were outscoring everyone.

Personally if I am paying guys that much money they better score touchdowns.  Otherwise, they better play QB, LT or be my main Pass Rusher.  Rams need to decide whether Donald in Phillips system is their #1 pass rusher from the DT spot.

I think that is exactly the question whenever you pay a DT big money.  To me having Donald give you 10 sacks a year from the interior (and in the increasingly "ball out quick" NFL interior pressure that can get there fast is increasingly valuable) means that you don't pay an edge rusher big bucks - especially when the time comes where you need to pay Goff.  Their likely starting pass rushing OLBs this year are a 4th year college free agent on a 1 year RFA tender and a 2017 4th round pick.  Their money is tied up in Donald, Suh, Brockers and even Westbrook on the D Line.  

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Aaron Donald is a great player.  Can you name me one defensive tackle who got a huge contract, continued to do well, and whose play vaulted their team to contention?

There may be one, but the players who come to mind for me are Haynesworth, Dareus and Suh.

There's a lot with just the last few years.

Gerald McCoy, Fletcher Cox, Geno Atkins and Suh.  Suh is just a headache but still performs on the field.