Can we afford to carry 3 active QB’s all season?

Virgil

2 hours ago, JaxBills said:

Unless Peterman turns into something magical during preseason....

Can he still go to the practice squad?  Because I would prefer a pro football player on the 53.

And really, is ANYONE going to be interested in him?

Hell, I'm surprised we still are.

Honestly, I thought were keeping him for a camp arm.

Peterman is the camp brain. There's been quite a few guys that had 10+ year careers based on smarts over physical ability. Wouldn't be surprised if we kept him just to help Allen. 

I think they will go with three QBs.  My take is the 49th player on the team will be a back-up OL/DL that will rarely if ever dress.  There is plenty of room to carry three QBs and have the guys that are needed to play dress.  My other point is their is little difference between guy #40 and guy # 60 right now.  They are mostly replaceable parts that can be jettisoned or brought back if needed.  And there will be plenty of other guys cut across the league available for jobs if need be.

All that said, I have no problem with going with just AJ and Josh.  I would take my chances that Peterman doesn't get signed and he can go to the PS.

Just now, Maybe Someday said:

Peterman is the camp brain. There's been quite a few guys that had 10+ year careers based on smarts over physical ability. Wouldn't be surprised if we kept him just to help Allen. 

He can still help from the PS

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We need the roster spot for a lot of reasons. Peterman will be released very late and then signed to PS methinks. No one is going to put him on their active roster on the eve of the season. If anyone wants to poach him we could still re-sign him if he wants to stay, but I sincerely doubt they do.

You're not going to dress three so the spot would be a waste. If one gets hurt you bring him up.

Here ya go!

3 is the tradition.

Would Buffalo have made it to 4 SB in a row without QB3 Gale Gilbert?

No you say?

The Chargers, yes the lowly Chargers, the Bills of the West, made it to the very next SB with Stan freaking Humphires at QB and Gale Gilbert at QB3 after he left Buffalo.

Peterman is our Gilbert, or Alex Van Pelt. A guy with the brains to be an NFL QB, but not the physical ability to be an NFL QB.

I always wondered what Gilbert, AVP or Edwards could contribute to a QB room if they don't have the skills to be an NFL QB, but have the brains to be an NFL QB, and aren't asked to be the starter. Poor AVP had to be the starter...

At best Allen is Kelly, AJ is Frank Reich, and Peterman is Glibert. At best.

But yes you carry 3 QB.

Edited by RocCityRoller

6 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

I don't think so imo. I think we should carry 3 qbs and put Zay on pup for September and also carry at least 7 wrs. That will give us a month to see how things shake out at both positions.

so maybe 8? They won't even carry 7. Especially if they're not that good.

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

With our relative lack of depth and quality in certain positions, and now that we can’t stash any of our guys on the practice squad, as well as the inability to give Allen any reps if kept as a 3rd stringer....

Is it far fetched to think that either of the other guys don’t make the team?   

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it was a struggle for a few games last year to field a roster with more than 2 QB’s active. 

Active, I would guess probably not.

On the roster, sure. They might think Peterman would not be plucked if they put him on the taxi squad. If they think that it might make a good way to keep all three. Since they probably think that especially the early part of the year is purely developmental for Allen, I could easily see them keeping all three.

12 hours ago, Pete said:

I think it is idiotic to keep less than 3 QBs on a roster.  It's the most important position.  What happens if a QB gets hurt?  Do you start second string and find a good QB midseason on the waiver wire?

I agree and still maintain you have the best avatar on this board. ?

I don't think it's crucial to just have 2.  You know the Bills will keep Allen.  Whoever wins the QB competition, no player has been so obviously superior to the others, and in particular I don't think there is that much difference between the second and third.  At this point, assuming Buffalo goes with AJ McCarron to start (he may be leading the competition if you believe the change in rotation is an indicator) Allen would be OK as your backup.  

I'm not against keeping a third QB, but I don't think keeping just two is a recipe for disaster.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Less than half of the NFL teams carried more than 2 QBs last year. 

Heres what I think.  Let me know what you think.

If McCaron/Peterman starts, I think we keep all 3.

If Allen starts, I would think Peterman is a goner.  McCaron would be your vet back up.

I don’t think the Bills want another scenario like in 2013 when we just had Manuel and Tuel to start the season....2 young and inexperienced QB’s.

17 hours ago, Pete said:

I think it is idiotic to keep less than 3 QBs on a roster.  It's the most important position.  What happens if a QB gets hurt?  Do you start second string and find a good QB midseason on the waiver wire?

Are you saying what happens if the second QB gets hurt? 

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Yeah but "sitting and learning" is a myth.  No QB develops while "sitting and learning".

He will learn by doing.

I don't know about that. It's not a guarantee but the sit and learn worked out ok for these guys (to name a few):  Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Jimmy Garoppolo, Eli Manning, Jared Goff, Phillip Rivers