Can we afford to carry 3 active QB’s all season?

Virgil

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just a matter of time imo.  Hope I’m wrong, especially with the OL.  LG and C (especially if Bodine beatable out groy) is going to get torn up 

...certainly hear ya.....not a fan of Castillo....gives me the impression of a "one trick pony" and "it will be MY scheme period"........BUT...like Daboll stepping up saying the OL will not be just ONE scheme but a scheme designed weekly as to what the opposition's tendencies are......take a seat Juan...the NEW sheriff has spoken.....

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

?we can't stash AJM or Allen, but why not Peterman?

Our coaches may see him as promising, but the league as a whole isn't lining up to snipe up a 5th round pick who set a record for INTs in a half last year.

This.  McCarron and Allen make the 53.  Peterman to the PS.  Are folks really thinking that Peterman won’t clear waivers?  Even if some team picks him up to be their 3rd QB...no big deal.

I’ve never been a big fan of keeping 3 QB’s on the 53.  If you lose your top 2 QB’s, your season is over anyway.  Plenty of sucky QB’s out there that are looking for work.  Need that roster spot for depth at other positions.

11 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This.  McCarron and Allen make the 53.  Peterman to the PS.  Are folks really thinking that Peterman won’t clear waivers?  Even if some team picks him up to be their 3rd QB...no big deal.

I’ve never been a big fan of keeping 3 QB’s on the 53.  If you lose your top 2 QB’s, your season is over anyway.  Plenty of sucky QB’s out there that are looking for work.  Need that roster spot for depth at other positions.

Ummmm... no our season was not over.

FTR we did end up winning the game that Joe Webb played in and did indeed go on to play in a wildcard game - so there is that...

Edited by cd1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly hear ya.....not a fan of Castillo....gives me the impression of a "one trick pony" and "it will be MY scheme period"........BUT...like Daboll stepping up saying the OL will not be just ONE scheme but a scheme designed weekly as to what the opposition's tendencies are......take a seat Juan...the NEW sheriff has spoken.....

We should ban “Castillo” from the board.  I get nausea when I read it.  Hate that man and I don’t hate many.  He’s awful

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see AJMC shipped to Indy if Luck still isn't ready

an interesting but not unlikely scenario.  Esp. if we can get a 4th or 3rd.  Will all depend on how Allen looks in preseason.  

I'm not in the "Nate Peterman" is the franchise QB camp, but I do believe he stays around longer than McCarron, who may be too expensive to pay after 2 years here.  He may find a starting job elsewhere, and Peterman is Allen's backup.  I also think Peterman would not clear waivers, he'd be picked up by the Colts or some other QB thin team.  

Edited by RyanC883

I don't think Peterman would clear waivers, but I do think he'd still be the odd man out.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to fetch a 6th rounder for him to a QB needy team.  

If Allen is going to be the future, I can't see a reason to carry 3 once you decide on your starter.  That's why I'm hoping they give McCarron and Peterman all the snaps they can to make that call and let the other one go.  I think the roster spot is too important with our lack of quality starters and injury possibilities with our O-Line and WR's

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

an interesting but not unlikely scenario.  Esp. if we can get a 4th or 3rd.  Will all depend on how Allen looks in preseason.  

I'm not in the "Nate Peterman" is the franchise QB camp, but I do believe he stays around longer than McCarron, who may be too expensive to pay after 2 years here.  He may find a starting job elsewhere, and Peterman is Allen's backup.  I also think Peterman would not clear waivers, he'd be picked up by the Colts or some other QB thin team.  

I’d take Brissett over AJM at this point.  He’s played better and has had a terrible OL

58 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's not idiotic if the 3rd stringer is on the practice squad.  Peterman is an ideal candidate for that.  It also isn't idiotic if your 3rd guy in camp isn't good enough to ever trust in a real game. If you find out in camp you only have 2 NFL caliber QBs on your team, you don't keep the 3rd guy. 

Peterman should be fine on the PS. Considering the film on him, I doubt another team would touch him. And, in the highly unlikely event that another team poaches him, so what? In my sad, pessimistic, honest opinion, if both McCarron, and Allen are unavailable to play, the season would be sufficiently screwed that Christian Hackenberg, or Scott Tolzien, or Kellen Clemens, or Mark Sanchez could come in and fail just as spectacularly as Peterman. 

1 hour ago, cd1 said:

Frankly, I think that McDermott is a smart coach. Last year he DID end up having to field a 3rd stringer because Tyrod was out and Peterman sustained a concussion during the Colts game.

I don't think he will want to get caught with his proverbial pants down this year.

The only reason they had a 3rd active QB was that Joe Webb played him special teams.  The "emergency QB" for game day is usually a guy who played QB in HS or maybe a bit in college, and is filling another role on the team.

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Peterman is eligible for the Practice Squad but would have to clear waivers first.

Do you see that as an issue?

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I think it is idiotic to keep less than 3 QBs on a roster.  It's the most important position.  What happens if a QB gets hurt?  Do you start second string and find a good QB midseason on the waiver wire?

You are wise.  I agree.

Additionally, what are we spending on these guys, 11 million total?

yeah, I'll lose a pretty good up back on punts to keep an extra qb around.

Unless Peterman turns into something magical during preseason....

Can he still go to the practice squad?  Because I would prefer a pro football player on the 53.

And really, is ANYONE going to be interested in him?

Hell, I'm surprised we still are.

Honestly, I thought were keeping him for a camp arm.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Agree with most of this except the part about AJ starting most games this season.  No way.

Allen will be the man and very possibly from Game 1.  Just a question of whether or not he is truly unable to start Game 1 b/c he is too much of a tire fire at that point in time. 

If he can go, he'll go, and when the other QB options fail early, Allen will go then.

Yeah but "sitting and learning" is a myth.  No QB develops while "sitting and learning".

He will learn by doing.

see Aaron Rogers...

• Like (+1) 1

We need the roster spot for a lot of reasons. Peterman will be released very late and then signed to PS methinks. No one is going to put him on their active roster on the eve of the season. If anyone wants to poach him we could still re-sign him if he wants to stay, but I sincerely doubt they do.

You're not going to dress three so the spot would be a waste. If one gets hurt you bring him up.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why not, and what team(s) do you see as claiming him? 

To my understanding when a player is waived, the claiming team has to put him on the active roster.

Knowing us, the Pats and he’ll be started against us for a win 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Knowing us, the Pats and he’ll be started against us for a win 

Ha ha I was just thinking about the answer to my question - who does each team have at QB - and for most the answer to "would Peterman be a clear upgrade?" was "nope...nope...nope..." then I got to the Pats ......YIKES.  If we do and they do, may he Matthews/Gillislee them and not Hogan us.