Can we afford to carry 3 active QB’s all season?

Virgil

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think it is idiotic to keep less  than 3 QBs on a roster.  It's the most important position.  What happens if a QB gets hurt?  Do you start second string and find a good QB midseason on the waiver wire?

fewer

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, jr1 said:

2 on active, 1 on practice squad

...yup.....only one realistically is Peterman......if a poacher grabs him, he has to go to the poacher's active 53 which is probably a stretch......could be an interesting and potential chess match for McBeane....say a serious QB injury occurred elsewhere and the team desperately needed a backup....may be possible that Peterman is a target......does he let him get poached for nothing in return?...OR....does he activate him and call the team trying to work a trade deal (Peterman or perhaps McCarron) for a pick?.....he releases someone and then re-signs the release after the trade.......certainly a hypothetical, but guess it could be possible...

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I dont think we need to. I think all three make the team just because none of them are truly standing out. Allen has been high and low and probably needs some time to learn and grow. McCarron is meh and Peterman is still debating on which team to throw to.

I bet all three start at least one game this year. McCarron will start most of them

Exactly,  I think around 14 teams last year kept 3 guys so its likely we'll do the same.

McDermott values versatility and a lot of players on the squad have some flexibility to play another position...

Not sure that reserves/depth will be an issue... I'm more worried about some of the starters...

I think they will go with 3 QB's at least until Allen takes over...

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Agree with most of this except the part about AJ starting most games this season.  No way.

Allen will be the man and very possibly from Game 1.  Just a question of whether or not he is truly unable to start Game 1 b/c he is too much of a tire fire at that point in time. 

If he can go, he'll go, and when the other QB options fail early, Allen will go then.

Yeah but "sitting and learning" is a myth.  No QB develops while "sitting and learning".

He will learn by doing.

You might be right about allen but the real question is, how bad is our OL.  I wouldn’t put him I. There if the defenses are running free at our QB.  That could be the case this season gents.  Our defense is currently doing it bs our offense

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You might be right about allen but the real question is, how bad is our OL.  I wouldn’t put him I. There if the defenses are running free at our QB.  That could be the case this season gents.  Our defense is currently doing it bs our offense

...certainly would be a serious and untested concern.....doubt they subject their (hopefully) future franchise QB to "target practice".....

26 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

fewer

Thank you. That is my pet hate. 

I think all 3 make the 53. I think at some point in year when they need a spot to cover a short term injury Peterman gets cut. I think he signs on a PS elsewhere and sticks there through camp next year, is dumped again at cut downs and that is the last the NFL sees or hears from him. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think it is idiotic to keep less than 3 QBs on a roster.  It's the most important position.  What happens if a QB gets hurt?  Do you start second string and find a good QB midseason on the waiver wire?

It's not idiotic if the 3rd stringer is on the practice squad.  Peterman is an ideal candidate for that.  It also isn't idiotic if your 3rd guy in camp isn't good enough to ever trust in a real game. If you find out in camp you only have 2 NFL caliber QBs on your team, you don't keep the 3rd guy. 

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly would be a serious and untested concern.....doubt they subject their (hopefully) future franchise QB to "target practice".....

Big concern.  No OL.  No WRs.  I stick by premise that he should sit all year.  Earliest I’d start him is vs the colts

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

It's not idiotic if the 3rd stringer is on the practice squad.  Peterman is an ideal candidate for that.  It also isn't idiotic if your 3rd guy in camp isn't good enough to ever trust in a real game. If you find out in camp you only have 2 NFL caliber QBs on your team, you don't keep the 3rd guy. 

And there are serviceable vets like Anderson and Moore sitting out there. They are both better than Nathan Peterman will ever be. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Big concern.  No OL.  No WRs.  I stick by premise that he should sit all year.  Earliest I’d start him is vs the colts

...NO and NO are quantum leaps.....we hardly do NOT know what we have at this early juncture......BUT...in the coming weeks ahead, hopefully the picture becomes clearer but the OL/WR white flag is "far from flyin'" IMO...

54 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’d typically agree with this, but not this year, not this group. 2 pedestrian young vets and a showcase colt. Dump a pedestrian, add another whatever. If McCarron goes down, there are plenty of Peterman/McCarron’s pushing shopping carts in the store out there.

I think you're wrong.  But then again, you're pretty new around here. 

Frankly, I think that McDermott is a smart coach. Last year he DID end up having to field a 3rd stringer because Tyrod was out and Peterman sustained a concussion during the Colts game.

I don't think he will want to get caught with his proverbial pants down this year.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

With our relative lack of depth and quality in certain positions, and now that we can’t stash any of our guys on the practice squad, as well as the inability to give Allen any reps if kept as a 3rd stringer....

Is it far fetched to think that either of the other guys don’t make the team?   

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it was a struggle for a few games last year to field a roster with more than 2 QB’s active. 

?we can't stash AJM or Allen, but why not Peterman?

Our coaches may see him as promising, but the league as a whole isn't lining up to snipe up a 5th round pick who set a record for INTs in a half last year.

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...NO and NO are quantum leaps.....we hardly do NOT know what we have at this early juncture......BUT...in the coming weeks ahead, hopefully the picture becomes clearer but the OL/WR white flag is "far from flyin'" IMO...

Just a matter of time imo.  Hope I’m wrong, especially with the OL.  LG and C (especially if Bodine beatable out groy) is going to get torn up 

20 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Frankly, I think that McDermott is a smart coach. Last year he DID end up having to field a 3rd stringer because Tyrod was out and Peterman sustained a concussion during the Colts game.

I don't think he will want to get caught with his proverbial pants down this year.

But wasn’t it Webb and he served a dual purpose?  Also, I think we had to do some weird roster work to keep it that way. 

That’s the reason I’m asking.