Can we afford to carry 3 active QB’s all season?

Virgil

On 8/2/2018 at 4:49 PM, DefenseWins said:

You keep all three. McCarron starts, Allen sits and learns, Peterman is there in case of emergency/injury... Peterman's contract is negligible...

Agreed.   Im convinced our run game will still be very good and that the Oline will be a pleasant surprise in that regard.   We'll have a similar offensive production as last year, with Allen in the bench and the Oline learning to pass protect a little better each week.   My prediction is that week 8 game against the Bears here in Buffalo will be Allens first crack as a starter, unless we have the good fortune to have McCarron playing well.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Most teams do not. 

Most teams that keep 2 have at least 1 veteran with a bunch of NFL starts.  We need to sign a 3rd QB for the rest of preseason & if he is a veteran who looks good, McCarron goes on IR & if the 3rd preseason QB is just a body, either IR McCarron with designation to return later or keep him active if the injury is healing quickly & just inactivate him on gamedays early in the season.  

Any way you play it the Bills need 3 QBs since there is no seasoned veteran on the roster.

BTW in 2000 NE had 4 QBs on the roster because their 6th rounder, a raw rookie named Tom Brady showed enough that they didn't want to lose him, so veteran Drew Bledsoe had 3 backups that year.  Most would have called their coach nuts for having 4 QBs,  instead they call him a genius.  

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Most teams that keep 2 have at least 1 veteran with a bunch of NFL starts.  We need to sign a 3rd QB for the rest of preseason & if he is a veteran who looks good, McCarron goes on IR & if the 3rd preseason QB is just a body, either IR McCarron with designation to return later or keep him active if the injury is healing quickly & just inactivate him on gamedays early in the season.  

Any way you play it the Bills need 3 QBs since there is no seasoned veteran on the roster.

BTW in 2000 NE had 4 QBs on the roster because their 6th rounder, a raw rookie named Tom Brady showed enough that they didn't want to lose him, so veteran Drew Bledsoe had 3 backups that year.  Most would have called their coach nuts for having 4 QBs,  instead they call him a genius.  

Rules were different then. You could still keep the third QB dressed and not count on the active game roster, which pretty much every team did then. Now there is no real reason to. You're not going to dress three on game day. So one is a wasted roster spot. If a QB gets hurt you bring up your PS guy or sign a backup off another team's roster. The only time you would keep three is if you're stupid like the Jets and sign McCown for 10m, sign Bridgewater, who is your best QB for this year, and then draft Darnold. But I imagine the Jets are going to trade Bridgewater and only keep two as soon as a team has a serious injury to their starter and is desperate for a decent alternative. 

Take a look at the QB league wide depth charts.  The Bills QBs have fewer starts combined than any other NFL team.  Every other team has either a starter who has started many games or a backup who has.  Some teams are guaranteed to keep 3.  Just like the Bills, the Giants have 2 QBs drafted in 2017 & 2018, neither one is getting cut.  They're keeping 3 and they have the veteran starter.  Most of the teams that have a rookie QB will end up keeping 3 QBs.  

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

I think the #1 reason we might want to find a new #3 is our O-line. They stink.

Be that as it may, I won't be surprised in the slightest if we go with Allen/Peterman, or (hopefully not), Peterman/Allen. 

Hmmm. It just now occurs to me that this is my first post in which I have expressed a hope that Allen starts the season. Up until last night, I was very much of the mind that Allen should sit for several games, at least. I wonder how many other fans, like myself, have changed their mind after yesterday? I have three reasons for my change of heart: 1) McCarron is out. 2) Allen looked really good, and confident. 3) The idea of Peterman starting depresses me. I don't think he will do well against the Raven, or any DC who has game planned for him.

Also, I wonder if this development (assuming we now roll with two QBs), raises Logan Thomas's stock?

The injury to AJ certainly changes things.  The Bills need to sign a new QB ASAPfor the remainder of preseason.  They need at least three QBs to be able to run the passing drills the WRs, RBs and TEs need to continue doing.  The problem is who do they sign.  Ideally, IMO, they would look for a young QB with PS eligibility.  That would allow them to save a roster spot for another position.  That may not be possible.  It may be that the only QB they can sign will be a grizzled veteran.  The problem is a veteran is going to figure out that he's got the team over a barrel.  You can be sure any veteran will be looking for a guaranteed contract.  They won't want to lose a year or two's worth of salary by having the bills cut them at the end of preseason so they can sign a youngster on the cheap for the PS.  So, they may have to plan on the possibility of carrying 3 QBs on the active roster.  You either have to have three on the 53 man roster, or 2 on the 53 man roster plus one on the PS for injury insurance.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I’d typically agree with this, but not this year, not this group. 2 pedestrian young vets and a showcase colt. Dump a pedestrian, add another whatever. If McCarron goes down, there are plenty of Peterman/McCarron’s pushing shopping carts in the store out there.

This needed a bump. 

It’s all your fault!