Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 7

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I hope Phillips and Foster can contribute.  I have no confidence in Dupre.  5 Star kid that had everything handed to him and accomplished nothing at LSU. If he can learn how to work like a man, he’s got the talent to stick

I agree Dupre was underwhelming in college, but name a good or even great LSU QB? Not exactly an offensive powerhouse.

I'm an admitted fanboy of Dupre. I see on the depth chart he has fewer opportunities than others to prove his worth. Even fewer than Proehl. I just have a gut feeling like I did with Hogan and Goodwin than he can be a contributor. I'm not talking a 70-1000-6, but a respectable 45-700-4 type line with Big Ben, Rogers or Rivers. A 'move' receiver who has some height and some speed. I also have a gut feeling he is one of the very few WRs on this team that can and will catch Allen's heat on full display. I think Allen is dialing it back mentally. Allen will need a guy that can and will corral anything. I see a lot of soft pass WRs on this team, who will go out and catch the Allen bullet?

Green Bay would probably like to still have him in camp. The Bills did well swooping in and grabbing him when they did.

I just like him, I hope he shows out in pre-season games.

Maybe he is the next Da'rick Rogers, but I think he needs a decent QB with a live arm and some opportunity. I want to see him and Allen together in the pre-season. I think they compliment each other.

I could be totally wrong.

Edited by RocCityRoller

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I agree Dupre was underwhelming in college, but name a good or even great LSU QB? Not exactly an offensive powerhouse.

I'm an admitted fanboy of Dupre. I see on the depth chart he has fewer opportunities than others to prove his worth. Even fewer than Proehl. I just have a gut feeling like I did with Hogan and Goodwin than he can be a contributor. I'm not talking a 70-1000-6, but a respectable 45-700-4 type line with Big Ben, Rogers or Rivers. A 'move' receiver who has some height and some speed. I also have a gut feeling he is one of the very few WRs on this team that can and will catch Allen's heat on full display. I think Allen is dialing it back mentally. Allen will need a guy that can and will corral anything. I see a lot of soft pass WRs on this team, who will go out and catch the Allen bullet?

Green Bay would probably like to still have him in camp. The Bills did well swooping in and grabbing him when they did.

I just like him, I hope he shows out in pre-season games.

Maybe he is the next Da'rick Rogers, but I think he needs a decent QB with a live arm and some opportunity. I want to see him and Allen together in the pre-season. I think they compliment each other.

I could be totally wrong.

I just don’t see any explosion in his game and his route running is just meh.  He doesn’t get off the line quick enough imo.  If he was 6’5, I think he may have a chance.  He can jump and catch, I just don’t think he’ll be able to get open.  

Ill go with

KB

Kerley

Zay

Reilly

Foster

Phillips

and Mcloud if we go with 7

but I’m sure we’ll keep Holmes and either Foster or Phillips will go to the PS.  I just don’t like Andre Holmes.  He bores me.  Anyone else feel the same?  Like you just want him to be cut already and see what these other kids can do?

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just don’t see any explosion in his game and his route running is just meh.  He doesn’t get off the line quick enough imo.  If he was 6’5, I think he may have a chance.  He can jump and catch, I just don’t think he’ll be able to get open.  

Ill go with

KB

Kerley

Zay

Reilly

Foster

Phillips

but I’m sure we’ll keep Holmes and either Foster or Phillips will go to the PS.  I just don’t like Andre Holmes.  He bores me.  Anyone else feel the same?  Like you just want him to be cut already and see what these other kids can do?

You're going to take Mcloud over Holmes? That seems crazy.

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ill go with

KB

Kerley

Zay

Reilly

Foster

Phillips

I also don't like Holmes, even if you disagree with me on Dupre. Holmes is on the wrong side of 30 and did not step up at all last year when our WR were dealt away or went down with injury. He looked lost and terrible.

Andre Holmes had a Season stat line of 13-120-3 which is a pathetic line for a veteran on a depleted corps.

New Era, do you really think Dupre is worse than 13-120-3 over a season???

Streater was 18-191-2 in his last full year with SF.

Holmes and Streater have produced 45-437-8 combined in the last two NFL seasons, yet suck up two spots on this roster.

That is one avg year for Chris Hogan as a WR3-WR4 on NE, or even a WR3-4 on a run first Bills team.

Chris Hogan

2018 (NE): 34-439-5

2017 (NE): 38-680-4

2016 (BU): 36-450-2

Brandon Lafell, 31, is a stratosphere above these two fools:

2018 (CIN): 52-548-3

2017 (CIN): 64-862-6

2016 (NE):  37-515-0

If I had my way at OBD, I'd cut Streater and Holmes tomorrow, sign Brandon Lafell, and open up a roster spot for a guy like Siran Neal or Malachi Dupre.

• Like (+1) 1

Had VIP tickets for this practice - after it was over Allen came over to sign at the VIP tent fence.  While my son was getting his autograph, I was fumbling with my phone trying to quickly get to the camera for a pic - I missed it when he was actually signing for my son, then figured I'd at least get my son in the foreground with Allen in the background signing for the next person.  He saw what I was doing and actually stopped what he was doing and moved over to pose for a pic with my son and Dad.  It was the perfect ending for the day.  I know these guys are told to try to be patient and accommodating with the fans - but that one small gesture really struck me.  He couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating, after a long practice and facing a full gauntlet of waiting fans - taking that little extra time to create a special moment for us, when he didn't have to.  I'm rooting even harder for the guy now.

image.png.e6f1a40c331cffc195eb3c8ccbe1a796.png

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the thing that makes people nervous is that is his scouting report since high school.  It’s been the scouting report of a few past Bills qb.  It’s a mechanic thing that is very difficult to fix, especially at the nfl level.  It’s Brady is Brady and a guy like Ryan Mallett is Ryan Mallett.

That Brady example is tricky, of course. He wasn't TB12 for many years in the NFL. He had to work for years to improve as a passer, not unlike Rodgers in GB (who did most of his work as a backup). The DRAMATIC improvement that certain QBs have made over the years (w/r/t decision-making and mechanics), while other prospects have concurrently flamed out, is difficult to analyze and apply.

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

You're going to take Mcloud over Holmes? That seems crazy.

I know what Holmes is.  A guy that did almost nothing last year while we didn’t have have any WRs.  Sure, Ray Ray could suck.  But Holmes already does suck.  I’d rather try the guy that still has a chance to be a contributing player.

Just now, NewEra said:

I know what Holmes is.  A guy that did almost nothing last year while we didn’t have have any WRs.  Sure, Ray Ray could suck.  But Holmes already does suck.  I’d rather try the guy that still has a chance to be a contributing player.

ST is a huge consideration for McDermott and the coaching staff.  It will possibly have an even greater emphasis with the changes to the kickoff rules.  Too many people are overlooking how this factors into the way the roster will be put together. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I also don't like Holmes, even if you disagree with me on Dupre. Holmes is on the wrong side of 30 and did not step up at all last year when our WR were dealt away or went down with injury. He looked lost and terrible.

Andre Holmes had a Season stat line of 13-120-3 which is a pathetic line for a veteran on a depleted corps.

New Era, do you really think Dupre is worse than 13-120-3 over a season???

Streater was 18-191-2 in his last full year with SF.

Holmes and Streater have produced 45-437-8 combined in the last two NFL seasons, yet suck up two spots on this roster.

That is one avg year for Chris Hogan as a WR3-WR4 on NE, or even a WR3-4 on a run first Bills team.

Chris Hogan

2018 (NE): 34-439-5

2017 (NE): 38-680-4

2016 (BU): 36-450-2

Brandon Lafell, 31, is a stratosphere above these two fools:

2018 (CIN): 52-548-3

2017 (CIN): 64-862-6

2016 (NE):  37-515-0

If I had my way at OBD, I'd cut Streater and Holmes tomorrow, sign Brandon Lafell, and open up a roster spot for a guy like Siran Neal or Malachi Dupre.

I agree with all of this.  I could care less about Holmes or Streater.  I wouldn’t keep either of them.  While I’m not a huge fan of Lafell, signing him over Holmes and Streater is a no brainer imo.  But would he want to come to Buffalo on a prove it deal while our QB and OL situation is so murky?  Not sure I would if I were him.  Maybe if we’re his only suitor.  

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ST is a huge consideration for McDermott and the coaching staff.  It will possibly have an even greater emphasis with the changes to the kickoff rules.  Too many people are overlooking how this factors into the way the roster will be put together. 

Good point, but considering our obvious lack of talent at WR and Holmes disappointing play last year,  I’d look elsewhere for ST play.  Like is said before, I believe Holmes will be retained.  I just wish that he wasn’t.

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ill go with

KB

Kerley

Zay

Reilly

Foster

Phillips

Maybe he isn't explosive in pads (or you are just making this up based on what you read), but his jumping numbers (which are shown to correlate the most with explosiveness) at the combine were incredible...39.5 inch vert and over 11 feet in the broad jump indicate he is extremely explosive.  I don't think he is very physical, though...and because he is tall, he isn't exactly agile, either.  Maybe that's what you're actually seeing

9 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

This is an example of flagrant statistical baloney. 

Streater did not play at all last season, so folding that into a judgement on WR productivity with another player is pointless.

Moreover, he didn't "suck up" a spot on the roster last season.

Streater's a puzzling guy.  He had a very good 2nd season in Oakland with nothing at QB - Pryor, McGloin and Flynn (trivia: Holmes was also on that team, and Streater had 2x his yards).  He spent most of 2014 (and apparently 2015?) on IR. Then he fell off the map - he moved onto an SFO roster crowded at WR, but he failed to make much impact.  Now I grant you, he had Kaep and Blaine Gabbert throwing to him, but "nothing at QB" didn't stop him in 2013.

I can see why with "slim pickings" at WR he intrigues us, but he seems like kind of a "fool's gold" guy.  His good 2013 season and his obvious training camp talent keep giving him shots, but when a 30 year old guy is unable to produce for 4 seasons, it's arguably time to give newbies a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I suspect that you would be right.  The new rules it would appear are going to favor more DB's, LB's, RB's and WR's to make team rosters.  

15 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

If people can’t see the upside and positive direction this team is headed in, they should be shot and placed in massive unmarked graves. 

I'm going to leave this post here to put this out here in public:  To suggest that people who don't agree with you as football fans should be shot and placed in unmarked graves is 1) gruesome 2) completely and totally inappropriate to this board.  Do not threaten physical harm to others here, whether you're joking, joshing, kidding, wateves - don't go there.

Next one I see gets permabanned.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, stevewin said:

Had VIP tickets for this practice - after it was over Allen came over to sign at the VIP tent fence.  While my son was getting his autograph, I was fumbling with my phone trying to quickly get to the camera for a pic - I missed it when he was actually signing for my son, then figured I'd at least get my son in the foreground with Allen in the background signing for the next person.  He saw what I was doing and actually stopped what he was doing and moved over to pose for a pic with my son and Dad.  It was the perfect ending for the day.  I know these guys are told to try to be patient and accommodating with the fans - but that one small gesture really struck me.  He couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating, after a long practice and facing a full gauntlet of waiting fans - taking that little extra time to create a special moment for us, when he didn't have to.  I'm rooting even harder for the guy now.

Love the Braves shirt!!! Raptors should have some preseason games at the arena.

10 hours ago, stevewin said:

...great story....thanks for sharing.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1