Urban Meyer suspended for 3 games

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

any serious grounds to believe he isn't finished from the game permanently?

(sigh...)

Considering we don’t know anything right now about what actually occurred, or didn’t occur, probably a bit premature to assume anything 

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Considering we don’t know anything right now about what actually occurred, or didn’t occur, probably a bit premature to assume anything 

in this day and age?

tOSU came forward voluntarily a few years ago and was hit hard by the NC-2A

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

So let me get this straight...the head coach is responsible and will lose his job but all the other people who also knew like both sets of parents, their friends, family etc knew but they can keep their jobs? Are they going to walk in tomorrow and be called into the office and fired? Nope. Why? Because the media aren't gunning for them and its not a story because they are effectively nobody's.

Seems like an amazing and ludicrous double standard going on in America these days. Not reporting a crime now becomes worse than actually committing one.  What the hell has happened to this country  and common sense.

There is also the issue of not knowing if he actually did anything. Or what Urban did or not did know or did or did not report to the title IX office (which may have been protocol in a very narrow sense according to the sexual misconduct law, but NOT according to title IX itself which doesn’t apply to wives, ex wives, etc or anything off campus). The only thing he said he did not know about to the media was an incident from 2015 in which police were called to zach’s house and he was not arrested. That is because she had it all sealed, as she was trying to protect his income, and even the Columbus dispatch couldn’t find it. Only reason McMurphy had it is because Courtney gave it to him. Powell police still won’t release it because of the ongoing court case. 

It’s a very complicated scenario and not something that can be decided with the info currently out there.

Just now, row_33 said:

in this day and age?

tOSU came forward voluntarily a few years ago and was hit hard by the NC-2A

Yes, I think it will take more than what is known right now to ruin the career of urban Meyer. 

16 minutes ago, iinii said:

What is it with coaches like Meyer and Paterno and others sitting on their hands in these instances. Sorry, forgot all about hubris. 

i'm not putting Meyer within a million miles of Paterno at this point in time.

Not sure about football culture since i left it 30 years, but anything sexual in the showers and locker room would be as acceptable as a handgun murder of 3, let alone with a child....

• Like (+1) 1

Zach on radio now.. denies any abuse. Says university knew of allegations and handled properly with authorities. Urban pulled him off recruiting trail in oct 2015 while they looked into it.

Zach said he thinks this should have stayed behind closed doors, nothing illegal happened and now his kids have to deal with it being out in the open.

he said they had a terrible marriage, he was a bad husband, things got aggressive on her end, he had to restrain her but  never committed domestic abuse. Says he does not know where the pics are from. Never stalked her. 

the Interview was incredibly candid 

Edited by YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Zach on radio now.. denies any abuse. Says university knew of allegations and handled properly with authorities. Urban pulled him off recruiting trail in oct 2015 while they looked into it.

Zach said he thinks this should have stayed behind closed doors, nothing illegal happened and now his kids have to deal with it being out in the open.

he said they had a terrible marriage, he was a bad husband, things got aggressive on her end, he had to restrain her but  never committed domestic abuse. Says he does not know where the pics are from. Never stalked her. 

the Interview was incredibly candid 

Anyone who knows how angry women can act and what they are capable of towards those they hate should not discount this side of the story.  

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree and btw, if the police really did have a history of 9 or 10 calls to the residence, it is my guess that the entire leadership of the school knew about it, or at least most of them.

And btw it's an educated guess, as a retired NYCPD Domestic Violence Unit Detective.

As a retired member of the NYCPD you have a longer perspective on domestic violence cases than most. The attitude toward domestic violence cases 25 years ago is dramatically different than it is now. In the old days these type of cases were often handled in an informal way where warnings and not official police actions were taken in these type of calls. Now, there is a strict protocol not only how the police handle the cases but also how the court system handles the cases. In most medium to large jurisdictions there are special police and court units that handle these cases. Times change and attitudes change. Similarly,  DWI cases were not always strictly handled 25 years ago. However, now DWI laws are usually strictly enforced. In the old days you might tell the drunk driver to park the car, take a walk and sober up. Certainly, that is not the case now. 

I'm not referring to the specifics of the OSU case because all the facts are not known. But what I do know is that usually schools and the work place have an established protocol that at the minimum requires a reporting of the abuse. In this case the timeline of knowing about the abuse is critical. It seems to me that the circle of people within the football program who had knowledge of the situation was fairly wide. 

When all is said and done the perspective that should prevail is what was in the best interest of the victim. With not all the facts at my disposal it is still easy for me to say that she was not treated right and she wasn't properly protected. 

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As a retired member of the NYCPD you have a longer perspective on domestic violence cases than most. The attitude toward domestic violence cases 25 years ago is dramatically different than it is now. In the old days these type of cases were often handled in an informal way where warnings and not official police actions were taken in these type of calls. Now, there is a strict protocol not only how the police handle the cases but also how the court system handles the cases. In most medium to large jurisdictions there are special police and court units that handle these cases. Times change and attitudes change. Similarly,  DWI cases were not always strictly handled 25 years ago. However, now DWI laws are usually strictly enforced. In the old days you might tell the drunk driver to park the car, take a walk and sober up. Certainly, that is not the case now. 

I'm not referring to the specifics of the OSU case because all the facts are not known. But what I do know is that usually schools and the work place have an established protocol that at the minimum requires a reporting of the abuse. In this case the timeline of knowing about the abuse is critical. It seems to me that the circle of people within the football program who had knowledge of the situation was fairly wide. 

When all is said and done the perspective that should prevail is what was in the best interest of the victim. With not all the facts at my disposal it is still easy for me to say that she was not treated right and she wasn't properly protected. 

Correct, they all knew about the allegations. They allowed the police to handle those, obviously. If you believe he was guilty of abuse, it was the police who didn’t properly protect her the times that she called them.  I don’t know if he abused her or not. I thought he should have been fired for being a bad coach, but not for allegations that weren’t founded by the proper authority. He ultimately got fired for being too much of a distraction after he violated a restraining order and it was in the news. Tough to send him into a recruit’s home. That’s urb’s biggest  priority imo. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Correct, they all knew about the allegations. They allowed the police to handle those, obviously. If you believe he was guilty of abuse, it was the police who didn’t properly protect her the times that she called them. 

You have been following this case more closely than I. And it seems to me you have been very fair and balanced on this issue by not unfairly making assumptions and prematurely drawing conclusions. So I commend you on how fairly you have reported on this issue. 

I'm not going to comment on whether the police responded appropriately or not. I just don't have the facts on that matter. What I can say is when the police did respond if they didn't have any evidence of an abuse then there is nothing that they can do. Sometimes they will try to get one of the parties to leave the scene for a cooling of the volatile situation. But I don't see how they can order one of them to leave if there is no legal basis for it. 

Very often because a person such as Urban is such a high profile person there is a tendency to make assumptions and judgments before the facts are known. I'm going to wait before rushing to judgment. It might seem that I am being overly critical of Urban but in reality I am sympathetic to him because he knew and was close to the parties. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You have been following this case more closely than I. And it seems to me you have been very fair and balanced on this issue by not unfairly making assumptions and prematurely drawing conclusions. So I commend you on how fairly you have reported on this issue. 

I'm not going to comment on whether the police responded appropriately or not. I just don't have the facts on that matter. What I can say is when the police did respond if they didn't have any evidence of an abuse then there is nothing that they can do. Sometimes they will try to get one of the parties to leave the scene for a cooling of the volatile situation. But I don't see how they can order one of them to leave if there is no legal basis for it. 

Very often because a person such as Urban is such a high profile person there is a tendency to make assumptions and judgments before the facts are known. I'm going to wait before rushing to judgment. It might seem that I am being overly critical of Urban but in reality I am sympathetic to him because he knew and was close to the parties. 

No I don’t see you being critical of him, I just think it’s important  to present the facts because yes,1) I’m following it extremely closely and 2) there is a LOT out there in social media and regular media that is not fact.

also note that I am one of his biggest critics. I’m a fan, yes, but not a homer. I constantly rant about him. I’m a fan of the team as a whole but there are coaches and players i criticize.  But it’s all about on field stuff. This is totally separate and logically I don’t think he should be fired based on what we know right now. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

As a retired member of the NYCPD you have a longer perspective on domestic violence cases than most. The attitude toward domestic violence cases 25 years ago is dramatically different than it is now. In the old days these type of cases were often handled in an informal way where warnings and not official police actions were taken in these type of calls.

I am old, but I am not retired 25 years. :) The big change in NYC came right after the OJ case. It has been pretty consistent since then; the biggest change since I left is that now virtually anyone can go to Family Court to seek an Order of Protection. The eligibility used to be limited but I won't go into specifics so as not to bore others.

This case is confusing because I am not there and don't even have a clear picture of what is happening now, or even why it is happening. Again, I do suspect that if there really were 9 or 10 calls from a specific person or even place, the school officials were well aware and would be happy to let Meyer take the fall but I don't pretend to know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.