Urban Meyer suspended for 3 games

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

Saw that earlier. Looks like it was made by a 12 year old. All that still takes place today including the Vday massacre. Blame Mickey Marrotti but the recruits know it’s to get them mentally and physically tough. Yet they “miraculously” still arrive in droves.

tweet from josh Evans who was in the video:

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

*The

Nice catch - fixed 

Edited by YoloinOhio

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s a situation where no one took action. Not her parents. Not his parents. Not the police. So except for the pictures, no evidence that it occurred. And no evidence it was him. Ohio is a mandatory arrest state. If they are called to a house and find evidence of abuse they make an arrest. It’s not up to the victim. She didn’t ever pursue charges and had the divorce records sealed as well, because - her words - she didn’t want him to lose his job because she needed the money. 

The most bizarre part of the story to me is that she told her parents and they told her not to do anything ... what? 

That’s a new addendum to a new contract he signed in April. They need to prove he didn’t live up to his contract he had signed at the time where he wasn’t bound by the title IX specification in 2015, if title IX even applies here, to fire him for cause. If he’s fired without cause it’s a 30+ mill buyout. 

You didn't direct the domestic abuse law to me but it has become standard practice that if the police are called to a domestic abuse call and there appears to be an assault the police are required to make an arrest. If they don't and in the aftermath there is a followup assault the police who responded to the original call will have criminal liability. 

The woman who was abused reached out to a number of people including the wife of the HC coach and the wives of the assistant coaches. There was systemic abuse going on. From what I understand it went back to the Urban Florida stint. I also learned that Meyer's wife is a professor in the nursing department. Nurses are required, in many if not most jurisdictions, to report to the authorities when they suspect that a domestic abuse situation is involved with their patient. 

Whether the reporting clause in Urban's contract was in effect is in question. What isn't in question is that Urban and his wife were aware for a long time that this woman was being abused. He is saying otherwise. Without referring to the legal issue it is not unfair to say that he didn't live up to a basic moral code.  The victim is the wife. Many people didn't do right by her. 

13 minutes ago, Bandito said:

He reports it to the AD who technically is higher than him on the mandated reporter food chain. He didn't do that. In some states he could potentially be arrested for failing to report this to the proper people. Not sure what the laws state in OH about it though

No one knows yet whether he reported her claims from November 2014, told to Shelley, to the AD.   He said he was unaware of a 2015 arrest. That’s because Zach didn’t tell him and everything was sealed by Courtney. I’m quite sure he was aware of her claims. 

Btw Gene Smith is incompetent, oblivious, complicit or all of the above. He’s the worst. And that statement has nothing to do with this situation in particular  since we don’t have all the facts ... but everything to do with those that preceded it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You didn't direct the domestic abuse law to me but it has become standard practice that if the police are called to a domestic abuse call and there appears to be an assault the police are required to make an arrest. If they don't and in the aftermath there is a followup assault the police who responded to the original call will have criminal liability. 

The woman who was abused reached out to a number of people including the wife of the HC coach and the wives of the assistant coaches. There was systemic abuse going on. From what I understand it went back to the Urban Florida stint. I also learned that Meyer's wife is a professor in the nursing department. Nurses are required, in many if not most jurisdictions, to report to the authorities when they suspect that a domestic abuse situation is involved with their patient. 

Whether the reporting clause in Urban's contract was in effect is in question. What isn't in question is that Urban and his wife were aware for a long time that this woman was being abused. He is saying otherwise. Without referring to the legal issue it is not unfair to say that he didn't live up to a basic moral code.  The victim is the wife. Many people didn't do right by her. 

if police are called for domestic violence and the victim has any marks, state law requires that Smith be arrested immediately for 24 hours even if charges are not filed yet. No arrests. No one knows if she was abused and when, at this time.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Give it 5 or so years, and the dirt will come out on that program too.

I hope so, but not likely.  

Saban's probably got the campus and local police on payroll.  At the state level, now we're talking about alumni.  State reps/senate prob all alumni too.  The good ole boy network is strong in Bama.  

Watch out for the governor, though....War Eagle.  

52 minutes ago, stony said:

Saban's probably got the campus and local police on payroll.  At the state level, now we're talking about alumni.  State reps/senate prob all alumni too.  The good ole boy network is strong in Bama.  

I'm a Hurricanes fan, so I'm all too familiar with shady business. To me, it seems like if a team is that dominant for a decent period of time (ie Hurricanes, Patriots, Jimmie Johnson NASCAR) or a team rises from obscurity to be really good (ie SMU/UNLV basketball, Baylor football), there's usually some shady **** going on. To be competitive at the top levels, every is toeing the line to get the upper hand. It's just a matter of how close to the line or how far over the line they are willing to go. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Omarius Hines, torn quad muscles in each leg. 2009 article. Hmm.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-football/day_11_brantleys_turn_to_step_it_up/

15 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Congrats society!  Allegations over facts!  Hysteria from the outfield idiots takes another down!

If he's gone than we have truly continued to devolve another step down in society.

Disirregardless of it happening or not there is no proof, no charges, no factual basis.

God damn pussification.

“Disirregardless”? You must be an OSU grad.

3 hours ago, stony said:

You forgot the local, state, and national news media.

The SEC. The NCAA. Every single officiating crew in all P5 conferences.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

The BCS. The CFB Playoff Committee.

All the Sheriff departments in the state. The state police.

The FBI. The CIA. Homeland Security. The border patrol.

The Alabama National Guard.

The United States Navy:

3 hours ago, stony said:

Pfft. She's already been flipped. You actually think she became governor without the consent of the REC?

Just don't tell the Barners, though. They still think she's part of the AU family.

Pro tip: The Illuminati is just a cover story for the REC.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You see, the above I disagree with. If he was told of a crime, he should have referred her to the police. Once again, I'm NOT comparing this to Penn State but when you see, or see evidence of a crime, it is not up to Urban Meyer or Joe Paterno to investigate. I'm a huge fan of Nick Saban but I wouldn't want him to investigate criminal activity.

This is what the police are paid to do.

Totally correct. 

To me this feels like something that is the end of Urban at Ohio State, but is not the end of Urban as a college coach.  I think a settlement with Ohio State, a year off and he will reappear somewhere new.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally correct. 

To me this feels like something that is the end of Urban at Ohio State, but is not the end of Urban as a college coach.  I think a settlement with Ohio State, a year off and he will reappear somewhere new.  

I agree and btw, if the police really did have a history of 9 or 10 calls to the residence, it is my guess that the entire leadership of the school knew about it, or at least most of them.

And btw it's an educated guess, as a retired NYCPD Domestic Violence Unit Detective.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree and btw, if the police really did have a history of 9 or 10 calls to the residence, it is my guess that the entire leadership of the school knew about it, or at least most of them.

And btw it's an educated guess, as a retired NYCPD Domestic Violence Unit Detective.

They probably did know about her allegations, though they may not have known about the specific 2015 incident that Urban was asked about at B10 Media day, since there was no record until it was unsealed last week by Courtney, and he wasn’t arrested. The texts to Shelley were from 2014. If her allegations were in the hands of police... what was OSU  required to do to protect the exwife of the coach? I’m asking because I don’t know. She was not a student or staff member. They could have fired him sooner (without cause, other than the fact he’s an idiot and a bad WR coach) but that would not have protected her at all. If in fact the allegations  were true, which we don’t yet know, firing him would have likely made things worse for her. The whole thing is so crazy.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

So let me get this straight...the head coach is responsible and will lose his job but all the other people who also knew like both sets of parents, their friends, family etc knew but they can keep their jobs? Are they going to walk in tomorrow and be called into the office and fired? Nope. Why? Because the media aren't gunning for them and its not a story because they are effectively nobody's.

Seems like an amazing and ludicrous double standard going on in America these days. Not reporting a crime now becomes worse than actually committing one.  What the hell has happened to this country  and common sense.

Edited by matter2003

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saw that earlier. Looks like it was made by a 12 year old. All that still takes place today including the Vday massacre. Blame Mickey Marrotti but the recruits know it’s to get them mentally and physically tough. Yet they “miraculously” still arrive in droves.

tweet from josh Evans who was in the video:

Nice catch - fixed 

Translation:  Even though I spoke my mind freely and openly on the tape, I realize that appearing to criticize a coach and his training regime will be bad for my lockerroom rep and career so I'm attempting to deny my own words by making some vague, meaningless legal threat.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They probably did know about her allegations, though they may not have known about the specific 2015 incident that Urban was asked about at B10 Media day, since there was no record until it was unsealed last week by Courtney, and he wasn’t arrested. The texts to Shelley were from 2014. If her allegations were in the hands of police... what was OSU  required to do to protect the exwife of the coach? I’m asking because I don’t know. She was not a student or staff member. They could have fired him sooner (without cause, other than the fact he’s an idiot and a bad WR coach) but that would not have protected her at all. If in fact the allegations  were true, which we don’t yet know, firing him would have likely made things worse for her. The whole thing is so crazy.

That seems to be a pretty good summary.

Once again, I am guessing because I don't have all the facts, but my guess is that there are school officials that are pretty scared right now and would be perfectly content to let Urban take the fall for everyone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.