Urban Meyer suspended for 3 games

YoloinOhio

FWIW, I’m fine with the suspension for the same basic reason stated repeatedly here and in the Go Bucks thread: Urban let a loose cannon and bad coach hang around the program for too long out of loyalty to Coach Bruce and he got burned for it. Zach Smith is a clown and a jackass and a terrible example for student athletes.  Urban knew it and should have fired him sooner, so the suspension is justified in my opinion.  Since the investigation concluded that no legal or contractual obligations were broken, the trustees were correct in deciding that Urban shouldn’t be fired. Sorry for your loss, haters.

But that’s pretty much it.  I still don’t know what to think about Courtney Smith and her claims of abuse.  I tend to accept the conclusions of the police investigations as well as Courtney’s own mother who said that Courtney is lying.  However, I was particularly dismayed to learn that the OSU investigation confirmed the disputed report that Coach Bruce himself went to Florida in 2009 to dissuade Courtney Smith from coming forward. That’s a sad and disturbing addition to his legacy.  Courtney deserves a process that is concerned with her story (and maybe that already happened, but it’s worth double-checking) without the irrelevant sideshow of who within OSU’s or Texas’s athletic departments knew or should have known.

Finally, the narrative that OSU cares more about winning than domestic violence is completely bogus. Keeping Smith on staff was never about winning.  He’s not a good coach and provided no competitive advantage.  To the contrary, the investigation concluded that Smith’s job performance was a problem in the past few years. This is about nepotism and letting someone hang around because he was in the Ohio State football family.  And again, the truth of Courtney’s claims are far from clear under the circumstances.  I am sensitive to the issues of victim shaming and the difficulties of proving allegations of abuse that by their nature occur in private and are hard to prove with extrinsic evidence. Still, anyone who jumps to conclusions based on the convoluted and conflicting information available in this scenario must be results-driven and not concerned with the truth. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/23/2018 at 8:21 AM, Cripple Creek said:

And if that turned out to not be true?

i suppose we shouldn’t dig for motive from coach Herman?

Well since the story was that he did it because of a recruit that doesn't actually fit the timeline, I don't really see a reason. If he outed Smith it was to hurt Smith. If Meyer didn't do his due diligence, that's on him. He's not just some random State employee. 

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.