Urban Meyer suspended for 3 games

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Urban is outtie

The vast majority of people are innies, I think. 

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Needs it’s own thread

Zach Smith wasn’t even a good coach. Worst guy on the staff.

On the road today listening to far too much talk radio. One show reported he said they couldn’t fire him, because he would take the whole staff down. Nice guy! Domestic violence (allegedly), and blackmails his employers? Had a little family clout was well. Super! 

Remember, the crime may be bad, but the coverup (or senseless lie) can be far, far worse.

54 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Are there any examples of a head coach going on administrative leave pending an independent investigation and then coming back?  I can’t think of any. It’s over IMO.  

Maybe Sean Miller - Arizona hoops coach..............He came back after a game or two.  But, I think he's still being investigated.

• Like (+1) 1

This is what will ultimately take him down.

"Also, as an Ohio State employee who supervises others, Meyer is required by the university's sexual misconduct policy to report knowledge of domestic abuse by a university employee. According to the policy, "An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24258253/ohio-state-buckeyes-places-urban-meyer-administrative-leave

Obviously, Smith should have been fired in '09. What I don't understand is, why has this gone on for a decade with nothing being done (he was arrested in '09)? Why didn't the victim or her family take some action to get out of the situation (I know it is a complicated issue)? Has Smith even been officially charged with a crime (he recently was arrested for trespassing)? Instead of sending pictures to Meyer's wife, the victim needed to contact authorities (law enforcement, lawyer, counselor).

Edited by par73

2 hours ago, par73 said:

Obviously, Smith should have been fired in '09. What I don't understand is, why has this gone on for a decade with nothing being done (he was arrested in '09)? Why didn't the victim or her family take some action to get out of the situation (I know it is a complicated issue)? Has Smith even been officially charged with a crime (he recently was arrested for trespassing)? Instead of sending pictures to Meyer's wife, the victim needed to contact authorities (law enforcement, lawyer, counselor).

The alleged victim said that she didn’t want him to get fired because she needed his income 

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Urban is outtie

Congrats society!  Allegations over facts!  Hysteria from the outfield idiots takes another down!

If he's gone than we have truly continued to devolve another step down in society.

Disirregardless of it happening or not there is no proof, no charges, no factual basis.

God damn pussification.

7 hours ago, Mr_Robotulism said:

See ya scum.

Can we just kick out the Big 10 East Division out of NCAA athletics, sexual abuse scandals at Penn St. and Michigan St. and DV cover-up at Ohio St. 

What a mature reply.

...Jesus, it's like simple common thought and values provided by our country have gone by the wayside infringing on a mob like mentality of dotards who believe it is just to have an emotional reaction superceding precedence and due process.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Congrats society!  Allegations over facts!  Hysteria from the outfield idiots takes another down!

If he's gone than we have truly continued to devolve another step down in society.

Disirregardless of it happening or not there is no proof, no charges, no factual basis.

God damn pussification.

He is not fired. He's placed on administrative leave until the facts come out. How else are you going to do it? If it comes out that he knew about the assaults and didn't take action then he should be held accountable. There is nothing inappropriate of placing someone on an administrative leave while an investigation is being conducted. So I don't know what you find so objectionable with what is going on. 

This isn't a complicated case for Urban. If it is brought to his attention that a coach with a history of domestic violence is again accused of domestic violence then Urban, who runs the football program, is obligated to take some action. He doesn't have to summarily fire the coach but he could/should suspend the coach until he finds out what happened. 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He is not fired. He's placed on administrative leave until the facts come out. How else are you going to do it? If it comes out that he knew about the assaults and didn't take action then he should be held accountable. There is nothing inappropriate of placing someone on an administrative leave while an investigation is being conducted. So I don't know what you find so objectionable with what is going on. 

This isn't a complicated case for Urban. If it is brought to his attention that a coach with a history of domestic violence is again accused of domestic violence then Urban, who runs the football program, is obligated to take some action. He doesn't have to summarily fire the coach but he could/should suspend the coach until he finds out what happened. 

John, do you think that coaches should be mandated to call the police for domestic violence allegations? I am going back and forth with this and would need more facts to arrive at a conclusion, for instance; was the woman injured?

Either way, this is less sickening than what happened at Penn State. It's bad but no comparison.

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When is the last time you beat your wife?

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

John, do you think that coaches should be mandated to call the police for domestic violence allegations? I am going back and forth with this and would need more facts to arrive at a conclusion, for instance; was the woman injured?

Either way, this is less sickening than what happened at Penn State. It's bad but no comparison.

In some cases, educators are required to notify authorities. Many officers/officials in SS that I've spoke to said they chase down BS more than half the time because a simple allegation sprung out of hand. What started as a student complaining he was grounded from his Xbox and had his controller taken becomes he had cigarettes extinguished on his arm and beaten with a cord.

I know you can probably weigh in on this, but simple allegations can be as frivolous as anyone can dream. It doesn't mean they should not be looked in to but the proper channels must be taken to produce results.  If Meyer simply shrugged it off and walked away, that's bad juju. If he said "prove it" than it is still bad juju but still legally appropriate.  If he said "wtf are you telling my wife for, keep your family squabbles to yourself and don't be a drama queen" than I'd say he did exactly what he should...

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

???

The old allegation game where if you throw out an allegation, no matter how ridiculous that it can be leveraged against someone unfairly.

The allegation is strong. The proof is unknown. Yet, urban Meyer was placed in a position of having a loaded unjustified premise to which was outside the parameters of reason.

If you take anything, any circumstance and frame it in a manner which suits the conclusion before the evidence and expirement you will find 9 times of 10 the expected results you wanted.

Being the allegation is all it took and the public eye is so damning as persecution is bigger than prosecution in our current society than Ur an Meyer is already guilty.  He will likely be fired or have to do a lot of hail Marys for forgiveness.

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is extremely well-written

This is well written and pretty much in line with my views.  Dan Wetzel, on the other hand, is doing a poor job covering this story.  He appeared to be unaware of the Earl Bruce connection yesterday, and today he's harping on Title IX and the OSU sexual misconduct policy even though everyone who has dug into those documents agrees they are inapplicable.

The more I think about promoting Day over Schiano or Wilson, the more it makes sense and indicates that Ohio State is taking a long view of a future without Urban.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.