Mahomes Struggling in Camp

H2o

10 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

No he isnt. Tedford is a traditional pro style who tried to incorporate more wide spread, but hes not an air raid guy.

Hmm what he ran in his later years at Cal was a spread base with air raid principles. Maybe that was a development and post dates Rodgers but that is what he was running at the end. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

WTF is this babble about Aaron Rodgers running the spread or air raid in college? 

This is Cal vs USC in his junior year: you'll notice there is zero shotgun and probably 50% of the time two backs on passing downs. C'mon people.

Fair enough I take it back. Before my time I am afraid. Their offense obviously underwent a bit of a journey from there to where it was when Tedford left. 

I presumed it had always been that way. 

Well, since I started this....  Given the debate about Cal and Rogers it is still just one guy.  We'll see how both Allen and Mahomes do.  But (in another likely controversial topic) Reid may have screwed up trading Smith and expecting Mahomes to step up this early.  Time will tell.  As it will with Allen.

Never seen the hype over Reid either.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

WTF is this babble about Aaron Rodgers running the spread or air raid in college? 

This is Cal vs USC in his junior year: you'll notice there is zero shotgun and probably 50% of the time two backs on passing downs. C'mon people.

The knock against Rodgers was he played in a very qb friendly offense where other qbs have struggled translating to the nfl.

btw, this might be one of the most petty threads.  Folks are taking pride in a qb they passed on struggling early in training camp?  Dear lord, that’s petty.  

Why dont you just try rooting for your QB to succeed?  It’s like you date a girl, break up with her for another one, and spend your time rooting for your ex to be miserable.  Petty.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, since I started this....  Given the debate about Cal and Rogers it is still just one guy.  We'll see how both Allen and Mahomes do.  But (in another likely controversial topic) Reid may have screwed up trading Smith and expecting Mahomes to step up this early.  Time will tell.  As it will with Allen.

Never seen the hype over Reid either.

The hype with Reid is every qb he has ever coached has their best seasons of their career under him: Farve, McNabb, Kolb, Vick, Smith.  Terrible game manager, great offensive coach. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The knock against Rodgers was he played in a very qb friendly offense where other qbs have struggled translating to the nfl.

btw, this might be one of the most petty threads.  Folks are taking pride in a qb they passed on struggling early in training camp?  Dear lord, that’s petty.  

Why dont you just try rooting for your QB to succeed?  It’s like you date a girl, break up with her for another one, and spend your time rooting for your ex to be miserable.  Petty.

The hype with Reid is every qb he has ever coached has their best seasons of their career under him: Farve, McNabb, Kolb, Vick, Smith.  Terrible game manager, great offensive coach. 

Fair enough.  I look at his HC record and it isn't stellar.  Maybe he topped out as a QB coach?

• Haha (+1) 1

Why dont you just try rooting for your QB to succeed?

....damn right whether he's YOURS or THEIRS.....how the eff do you hate on ANY kid trying to fulfill his NFL dream?........1.696 are privileged so I guess the other 300 million are pissed off, jealous or stuck posting on some MB....good Lord is there anything NOT hated today?........

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was simply replying to whoever said Rodgers was proof that air raid QBs can work in the pros. It was a funny comment.

I do not care about Pat Mahomes at all. I'm glad he's struggling insofar as he plays for a team we'll probably be competing with for a wildcard spot. I take no personal pleasure in his play, be it good or bad.

And I do root for my QB to succeed, unlike...say:

On 7/31/2018 at 4:48 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sure homer.  I disagreed with the pick but never once wanted him to prove me wrong.  But even if he isn’t a franchise qb, it would be one of the worst picks in nfl history if he couldn’t compete with one of the worst groups of qbs in the league.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I was simply replying to whoever said Rodgers was proof that air raid QBs can work in the pros. It was a funny comment.

I do not care about Pat Mahomes at all. I'm glad he's struggling insofar as he plays for a team we'll probably be competing with for a wildcard spot. I take no personal pleasure in his play, be it good or bad.

And I do root for my QB to succeed, unlike...say:

All you do was quote me saying I didn’t like the Allen pick but never once said I wanted him to fail. I don’t know what you’re trying to “get me” on.

I really only care about the Bills. Never got fans who get obsessed with other teams and root for them to fail, like NE.  I don’t care about NE or other teams unless the Bills play them.

PS that was a poorly type sentence by me.  I didn’t like the pick but I want to be wrong because that means the Bills have a franchise qb for the first tome in forever.  I’ve consistently said this.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

All you do was quote me saying I didn’t like the Allen pick but never once said I wanted him to fail. I don’t know what you’re trying to “get me” on.

I really only care about the Bills. Never got fans who get obsessed with other teams and root for them to fail, like NE.  I don’t care about NE or other teams unless the Bills play them.

Yeah I'm trying to 'get you' on something...the guy who replied to a post that wasn't directed at him, calling people petty. 

3 hours ago, APoxOnYou said:

I really hope he busts. Not because we passed on him, but because Chiefs fans are proclaiming him HoF worthy and he comes across as arrogant. 

I hope he busts because we passed on him.  Oh, and he plays in the AFC.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Ya, I saw a huge play to Hill the other day.

When there was absolutely no pass rush and Hill was just being Hill.

There has been more than 1 play lol.

I was critical of the idea of picking Mahomes at 10, in fact I down right hated the idea of taking him that high.  Would have been fine if we took him in the 2nd, but was very against the idea of him at 10 and I loved that we traded down, especially since we got White.

However, criticism aside, he has a lot of upside.  I just wasn't comfortable with what I felt his risk level was and preferred to work on the D than gamble on a QB at that point.  But now he is in the NFL...hes a first round pick...he has a cannon for an arm...Chiefs felt good enough about him to send Smith away.  I think its pretty reasonable to NOT fixate, good or bad, on the first week of camp.  Over stating mistakes and under valuing positives only serves to feed a biased opinion.  

Its going to be interesting to see what this kid can do, he got to sit and learn and has a good staff and incredible array of weapons to work with.  He's made some eye popping plays just like he's made some bad mistakes in camp so far, but thats what camp is for.  Im still not sure about him, but he is definitely setup well for success.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

There has been more than 1 play lol.

I was critical of the idea of picking Mahomes at 10, in fact I down right hated the idea of taking him that high.  Would have been fine if we took him in the 2nd, but was very against the idea of him at 10 and I loved that we traded down, especially since we got White.

However, criticism aside, he has a lot of upside.  I just wasn't comfortable with what I felt his risk level was and preferred to work on the D than gamble on a QB at that point.  But now he is in the NFL...hes a first round pick...he has a cannon for an arm...Chiefs felt good enough about him to send Smith away.  I think its pretty reasonable to NOT fixate, good or bad, on the first week of camp.  Over stating mistakes and under valuing positives only serves to feed a biased opinion.  

Its going to be interesting to see what this kid can do, he got to sit and learn and has a good staff and incredible array of weapons to work with.  He's made some eye popping plays just like he's made some bad mistakes in camp so far, but thats what camp is for.  Im still not sure about him, but he is definitely setup well for success.  

The parallels between Allen and Mahomes are interesting to me, especially because of how similar Smith and Taylor are as quarterbacks (who were both shown the door in order to make room for two raw/big upside/big risk top 10 picks)...I think Allen has more natural throwing ability and the brighter future, but it will be interesting seeing how the Chiefs and Bills bring these two along respectively.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Where is the Chiefs fan we have hanging around to tell us that this article is wrong and give us two articles of how wonderful Mahommes is.

I'm here.  My thoughts on Mahomes haven't changed because of this.  We expect Mahomes to throw some INTS...he'll take chances that Alex Smith simply will not.  He'll rely on his arm and make throws at times that he shouldn't make.  That's fine...that's part of the deal.  He is never ever going to have a 5 INT season like Alex Smith....very few QB's do.  I've said it plenty of times before when discussing Mahomes and Smith...Smith was a good QB who was especially careful.  He made it a point to take care of the football.  That isn't a bad tihng in and of itself...but Smith's QB rating drops from the first quarter to the last, and his red zone efficiency is HORRIBLE.  This isn't because Smith is an awful QB, it's because he is a very safe one.  At some point, Smith figured out that you can do well by not turning over the football.  .....what Smith does that you can't see on a stat sheet very easily is taking a 3rd and 8 and rushing for 3 yards instead of making a play to move the sticks, keep the ball, and the clock and score more points.  I will trade the 5 INTS for 15 Mahomes INTS if Mahomes makes 30 plays to score points or extend drives that Smith did not make 

If you read that article and consider that panic worthy, then you are reading into that what you want it to tell you and not what it's actually saying.  How many is an acceptable number in a practice?  How many do we know the defense did or didn't know the play call?  How many were the QB actually making a mistake?  Looking forward to preseason game action...

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I have not understood how the same folks negative on Allen talk about how we missed on Mahomes, how Beane gets fired for not taking Mahomes, etc.   His flaws are similar to the ones talked about for Allen, primarily footwork.   At least Allen ran a more pro style offense.  Mahomes ran that shotgun single look spread - has a QB that played that offense in college done well in the pros?

Are there many arguing that?

12 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I'm here.  My thoughts on Mahomes haven't changed because of this.  We expect Mahomes to throw some INTS...he'll take chances that Alex Smith simply will not.  He'll rely on his arm and make throws at times that he shouldn't make.  That's fine...that's part of the deal.  He is never ever going to have a 5 INT season like Alex Smith....very few QB's do.  I've said it plenty of times before when discussing Mahomes and Smith...Smith was a good QB who was especially careful.  He made it a point to take care of the football.  That isn't a bad tihng in and of itself...but Smith's QB rating drops from the first quarter to the last, and his red zone efficiency is HORRIBLE.  This isn't because Smith is an awful QB, it's because he is a very safe one.  At some point, Smith figured out that you can do well by not turning over the football.  .....what Smith does that you can't see on a stat sheet very easily is taking a 3rd and 8 and rushing for 3 yards instead of making a play to move the sticks, keep the ball, and the clock and score more points.  I will trade the 5 INTS for 15 Mahomes INTS if Mahomes makes 30 plays to score points or extend drives that Smith did not make 

If you read that article and consider that panic worthy, then you are reading into that what you want it to tell you and not what it's actually saying.  How many is an acceptable number in a practice?  How many do we know the defense did or didn't know the play call?  How many were the QB actually making a mistake?  Looking forward to preseason game action...

Interestingly all of those knocks are very similar to what we saw with Tyrod Taylor. Takes great care of the football, but struggled moving the sticks and in the red zone. And I would also take the ups and downs of a young but talented QB who takes some risks. Granted, Smith is still a solid QB and worth more that Tyrod, but they play a similar game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I have not understood how the same folks negative on Allen talk about how we missed on Mahomes, how Beane gets fired for not taking Mahomes, etc.

Wait...  Beane was NOT even with the Bills when they passed on (gave up the pick for) Mahomes.