Mahomes Struggling in Camp

H2o

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

/thread 

You said 'I wasn't sold on Watson'. Just because of the 7 games? Is his previous 3 years of dominance added to those 7 not enough? I bet if he was a Bills player you would be sold game 1 of the preseason lol. I just don't get the hate for Watson and I'm trying to understand it. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You said 'I wasn't sold on Watson'. Just because of the 7 games? Is his previous 3 years of dominance added to those 7 not enough? I bet if he was a Bills player you would be sold game 1 of the preseason lol. I just don't get the hate for Watson and I'm trying to understand it. 

Didnt say I hate Watson. Just not sold on him.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

He dominated defenses for 3 years in college and then for his 7 games in the NFL. I'm not sure how we didn't take him, but couldn't pass up a guy who was the third best QB in a weak conference. I feel like Watson gets a lot of hate on here for the simple reason that he isn't a Bill. 

Lots of us Bills fans liked Watson. I would have taken him, but I understand it was a unique scenario. Whaley was a lame duck GM; many noticed the Bills draft had a different “ feel” and assumed that McD was calling the shots . I can see why they wouldn’t want to pre- select a QB for an incoming GM. Most want to pick their own guy. It was widely thought that the 2018 draft was a better one for the QB position. Its understandable why they decided to pass on a QB and stockpile ammo to position themselves for 2018 and let the new GM have a say in the future of the franchise. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 3

On 8/10/2018 at 12:05 PM, BullBuchanan said:

If you watched them, you'd know he played 7 games where he threw for 1700 rushed for 250, and had utterly insane games. He was the most dynamic QB in the league last year until he got hurt.

Bull, detail like number of games not withstanding....I guess it depends upon your idea of elite.

There are a number of QB who have had one, maybe two, GREAT seasons then "something happens".  Either they're injured and never the same, or the league catches onto them, or their OC wants to progress the offense but they can't handle it.  Bob Griffin's rookie season was outstanding, his second season not nearly as good, and then bleh.  Sam Bradford had a very good rookie season.  His second year he threw 6 TD and 6 INT in 10 games then injuries hit.

Me, I want to see several seasons of excellent performance before I start proclaiming a guy "elite". 

YMMV

What I don't understand is how any sentiment less than full-bore unabashed enthusiasm gets cast as "hate"

• Like (+1) 1

Can he stay healthy playing that way ? Will he have to change the way he plays to avoid another serious injury? 

I'm not sold either, but he looks very promising , but also very concerning because of the injury

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bull, detail like number of games not withstanding....I guess it depends upon your idea of elite.

There are a number of QB who have had one, maybe two, GREAT seasons then "something happens".  Either they're injured and never the same, or the league catches onto them, or their OC wants to progress the offense but they can't handle it.  Bob Griffin's rookie season was outstanding, his second season not nearly as good, and then bleh.  Sam Bradford had a very good rookie season.  His second year he threw 6 TD and 6 INT in 10 games then injuries hit.

Me, I want to see several seasons of excellent performance before I start proclaiming a guy "elite". 

YMMV

What I don't understand is how any sentiment less than full-bore unabashed enthusiasm gets cast as "hate"

Add Carr to that list.

He looked like a different QB last year , coming off that injury in an MVP like season... 

I agree with this statement though, good points

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Can he stay healthy playing that way ? Will he have to change the way he plays to avoid another serious injury? 

I'm not sold either, but he looks very promising , but also very concerning because of the injury

Well, he was injured in practice on a non contact play. Totally fluke injury unrelated to his style. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

He dominated defenses for 3 years in college and then for his 7 games in the NFL. I'm not sure how we didn't take him, but couldn't pass up a guy who was the third best QB in a weak conference. I feel like Watson gets a lot of hate on here for the simple reason that he isn't a Bill. 

I feel like you are overly emotional. I'm not hating on the guy at all, he obviously played great. I'm just not ready to anoint him football Jesus in a league with guys like Brady, Rodgers, Rothelisberger, etc.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:44 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

To show how stupid it is!!! :)

That was obvii

On 8/10/2018 at 2:29 AM, BullBuchanan said:

I think most of us are upset about passing on Watson, who was pro-ready with every tool  you could want. Then he stormed into the NFL and was elite from Day 1, just like he was in college. Instead we passed to draft a major project from a bad conference that had a poor college career. That's why I was upset.

Facts. Its an opinion. It cant be wrong.

Edited by FearLess Price

18 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Everybody wants their guy in every draft and if they dont get picked when we had a chance to take them we did the wrong thing......

We got Tre (one of the best defensive backs in the league) and ammunition to get our franchise guy the following year......they probably did not expect to win as many games as they did last year so we were not in a position to get Darnold or Mayfield.....but we dont actually know if they guys are gonna be better qbs anyway

You cannot predict NFL QB careers based off college stats......and frankly Allen has looked pretty good.

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lots of us Bills fans liked Watson. I would have taken him, but I understand it was a unique scenario. Whaley was a lame duck GM; many noticed the Bills draft had a different “ feel” and assumed that McD was calling the shots . I can see why they wouldn’t want to pre- select a QB for an incoming GM. Most want to pick their own guy. It was widely thought that the 2018 draft was a better one for the QB position. Its understandable why they decided to pass on a QB and stockpile ammo to position themselves for 2018 and let the new GM have a say in the future of the franchise. 

This is the best answer I've seen yet as to why we didn't take Watson or Mahomes in 2017.  

The real irony is that if Rex Ryan hadn't been fired, he would have pushed hard for Watson considering Rex's ties to Clemson.  

I totally undeestand why they didn't take Watson while having a lame duck GM. Just think ultimately every team that passed on Deshaun Watson will regret it. But the Bills future is now tied to Josh Allen. How Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes play may be nice N "if" L type topics in 10 years time but ultimately the reality is that all that matters is the fate of Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I totally undeestand why they didn't take Watson while having a lame duck GM. Just think ultimately every team that passed on Deshaun Watson will regret it. But the Bills future is now tied to Josh Allen. How Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes play may be nice N "if" L type topics in 10 years time but ultimately the reality is that all that matters is the fate of Josh Allen. 

I agree with your take. An interesting hypothetical question is if Whaley still had his authority in last year's draft which qb, Watson or Mahommes, would he have taken? The rumors were that he was finally going to draft a qb in the first round. Some reports indicated that he favored Watson while other reports indicated Mahomes. 

I'm more than happy with the drafting of Allen. The best part of being able to select him was we didn't overly mortgage this year's and didn't give up any picks in next year's draft. The organizational execution to maneuver to get in position to select a high end prospect was exquisite.