Top 5 Favorite Albums

8 hours ago, T&C said:

Interesting 5 you chose, I used to have the first Moby Grape Lp with the "finger" on it that was removed.

You strike me as someone who would like/is into Steeleye Span, I have one album that Bowie played sax on.

I have never listened to Steeleye Span but I just checked out the Wikipedia on them and your may be right that I would like them.  I will have to give them a listen.  One of the odd things about my list is two of the albums were purchased without having ever heard the group before.   I had a copy of Rolling Stone that I was reading in the "Library" when I came to a full page add about Liege and Lief.   So I went out and bought it.   Loved it.   Soon after I bought the other Fairport Albums with Sandy Denny on them.  Love them all.

The other album was purchased at Twin Fair as a cutout.   It was a good place to get albums cheap and I kept seeing this album with a cover of a guy on a horse.  After seeing it enough times, I thought I should try it.  Really struck gold with that one.  It was Then Played On by Fleetwood Mac.  Don't know how it happened that I had never heard a song by them before that, but there was a lot of music coming out at the time.  They never made it big on US radio.

That Moby Grape album is great collection of songs plus the fact the guitars play against each other so well.   Guess it takes more than just talent to make it big.

On 8/5/2018 at 12:34 PM, T&C said:

I couldn't really name my top 5 albums but I can name 5 top ones I like quite a bit:

Love ~ Forever Changes

The Mothers of Invention~ We're Only in it For the Money

Caravan~ In the Land of Grey and Pink

BOC~ On Your Feet or On Your Knee's

Joni Mitchell~ Court and Spark

Forever Changes   easily makes my top 10.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Augie said:

If I answered this today, I could have a whole new top 5 tomorrow. Depends on what you’re in the mood for, I guess. 

Other than the MOI lp absolutely... I go on runs with things, on a Jean Luc Ponty one right now. 

On 8/5/2018 at 4:00 PM, snafu said:

I can't say that I have a top 5, and the list would have changed over the years, but these are what I've listened to the most:

Ramones -- Leave Home

Elvis Costello & The Attractions -- My Aim is True

The Clash -- Sandinista

Rolling Stones -- Let it Bleed

The Cramps -- Songs The Lord Taught Us

Carbona or Sheena release? Either way, nice choice.

6 hours ago, T&C said:

Other than the MOI lp absolutely... I go on runs with things, on a Jean Luc Ponty one right now. 

Wow, I had a Jean Luc Ponty phase. I could not have come up with the name without a prompting though. But it was a real thing, late 70’s to early 80’s? 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Wow, I had a Jean Luc Ponty phase. I could not have come up with the name without a prompting though. But it was a real thing, late 70’s to early 80’s? 

I think Cosmic Messenger really got him noticed but a few other standouts to me are Civilized Evil, the Live Lp (Ralph Armstrong is a monster on the bass), and Aurora.

If you are bored here is Ponty when he was in the MOI, this probably was towards the very end of his time with this band before he went out on his own. The guy in the plaid pants is pretty good too.

very tough to narrow it to 5

ACDC - Back in Black

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Who - Who's Next

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping

I know that's 6. Yes I cheated 

15 hours ago, stuvian said:

very tough to narrow it to 5

ACDC - Back in Black

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Who - Who's Next

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping

I know that's 6. Yes I cheated 

Not sure if Hot Rocks counts, being that it's a greatest hits. I'll let it slide because it got me through a tough time in my life. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2018 at 12:42 AM, T&C said:

Please tell me you are kidding here... all downhill after Houses of the Holy? Why is this jewel of an album not in the mix? 

I just took a pic of my son standing on the set of stairs to the left, this past Saturday.

physical.jpg

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Probably their best outside their first four. I'm actually surprise how relatively unchanged it still looks. Were there a lot of other tourists taking pictues?

I was the only one.  It is an awesome little section of Manhattan.

And I think Physical Graffiti is better than Zep I and II.  It really is an awesome album.