Joe B: Adolphus Washington has played poorly in TC and may be cut

41 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Excuse me, but where is this "committment" to a "QB in the draft (or really anywhere)" with Beane or McDermott?   I don't see much commitment other than to spend a fortune in draft picks to select a first round  QB... and then not look to improve either his protection or targets through the draft or in FA.  The Bills lost 3 solid OLers during the off season, and they've replaced none of them quality-wise.  They didn't draft another offensive player until the very end of the fifth round ... not exactly the area of the draft likely to yield an OLer or WR who can step in and help out his QB  as a rookie ... if ever.

It may very well be that there weren't any good OL or WR prospects available when the Bills turns came up but the Bills also have not appeared to be scouring the waiver wire, street FAs, and the other trashpiles very hard to possibly improve either their WRs or OL, and God only knows, both units could use improvement.  Furthermore, if they truly had a commitment to any QB -- or to the offense period -- why did they not re-sign either Robert Woods or Marquise Goodwin when they were clearly disillusioned with Watkins. 

"Commitment" to something means more than simply going out and spending resources to acquire something.  It means making sure that that something that you've acquired can be successful.  Sometimes, that means spending a lot more on supporting that thing than you originally spent getting it.  I think NFL QBs are like that because they aren't going to be successful without an OL to protect them and WRs/TEs to catch their passes -- and RBs to give them options.  IOW, a commitment to getting a franchise QB means a commitment to building a full fledged NFL offense with all the parts at least being average.  That's not the Bills under McDermott/Beane.  They dismantled the modestly successful offense with average or better components the Bills had under Ryan/Whaley and replaced it with a first round QB and 30-year-old RB and not too much else.  It's not a commitment to offensive football at all, and it sure isn't a commitment to helping a young QB become an accomplished NFL starter.

Commitment to failure is someone who still defends Whaley.

Holy cow, Tremaine is huge.  That's the first time I've seen him on the field with other Bills.  

His body type reminds me of how you could jack up the height/weight of players on older versions of Madden lol.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Okay.  I didn't understand your perspective BEFORE this post....  You are a troll.

Ha - I was going to call out the same two lines! ?

I believe the Die Hard movie series applies to that poster:

TROLL HARD

TROLL HARD 2: TROLL HARDER

TROLL HARD WITH A VENGEANCE

LIVE FREE OR TROLL HARD

A GOOD DAY TO TROLL HARD

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Why is Kyle Williams saying Washington is playing great right now. On moving the chains a couple of days ago Pat Kirwin asked Kyle how Harrison Phillips is doing and he said nothing against Harrison but the guy who’s killing it in camp is Adolphus Washington. He’s really figured it out. On the same show McDermott & Beane also gave high praise for Washington. Are they talking up Washington so they can trade him? Is Kyle part of the scheme?

I’m not at camp and I’m not an expert, but my point was historically Washington has been somewhat disappointing and THAT is why they made a point of getting two quality DT’s. I hope the competition, (or any other motivating factor!) has caused the light to go on for Washington. You can’t have TOO MANY good players. I’m not bashing something I haven’t even seen, and each guy gets a new chance every year to prove themselves..... for better or for worse. It’s a new year, and time to earn it all over again. 

My guess, Kyle is just being supportive, and it might help the plan, but he’s not “a conspirator”. Good teammates pump their guys up. But I pray it’s true.   ?

6 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

By all accounts from the staff, he's done well and is not in jeopordy of being cut. I'll believe that before a Joe B observation....

Remember all the Luden's Joe B had to take during Mario Watch?

I think another thing to remember too is Rex didn't put Washington in a position to succeed and last season I think the kid had trouble picking up the scheme so he wasn't much of a factor. Hearing Kyle say that AW has "figured it out" would kinda confirm that notion so hopefully this season he can be a big part of the DT rotation. I think when camp is all said and done, their DT group this season is gonna be Kyle, Lotulelei, Phillips, Washington with maybe Hatley or Hughes?

Heard on Shredd & Ragan this morning about how yesterday's camp practice they focused on blitzes. I think all three QBs said they were really impressed with the DL. The secondary has regularly been called the top defensive group with the linebacker group now getting praise with Edmunds in there. If the DL gets right, watch out. Definitely could have a top five defense this year.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Adolphus performing well is great news. Hope he can keep it up consistently.

I have to agree.

registered doubter if no one has taken notice. But gosh darnit i want him to play well for us !

I have to guess that beat reporters have no idea what they're talking about considering they aren't scouts, position coaches, etc. Pretty much just paid forum post writers.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:18 AM, eball said:

This is odd.  Kirwan (at camp yesterday) was praising Washington, unless I misheard.

They praised Ragland a bunch before they traded him.

The FO praised Dareus and Sammy before they traded them both too!

11 minutes ago, Manther said:

They praised Ragland a bunch before they traded him.

The FO praised Dareus and Sammy before they traded them both too!

Kirwan isn't a member of the Bills' front office, the last I checked.  But I also understand your point.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Kirwan isn't a member of the Bills' front office, the last I checked.  But I also understand your point.

Understood and noted.  If we can get something for him that would be great.  A 4th would be amazing, but, probably 1% chance of that?

Adolphus had to play 1 technique last year and is not large or strong enough to play there.  This year he will be asked to play the 3 technique exclusively behind Kyle.  

At Ohio State he was a DE who moved inside after a year.  might be an ideal 5 technique and if he doesn't pan out at the 3 spot could be traded to a 3-4 team.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Adolphus had to play 1 technique last year and is not large or strong enough to play there.  This year he will be asked to play the 3 technique exclusively behind Kyle.  

At Ohio State he was a DE who moved inside after a year.  might be an ideal 5 technique and if he doesn't pan out at the 3 spot could be traded to a 3-4 team.

I had mentioned in obscurity something similar. a DE who could move inside with two DT on the line. really a 3-4 end coming out when drafted . but he got Wrexed much like Lawson  : (

Hope he will work hard and be able to learn the techniques being taught. Has much to prove.

Prefer not to dump him,but rather see him come around and produce. Being trusted to execute his job.

• Thank you (+1) 1