Retirement: Where to Get the Best Bang For Your Buck in the USA

T&C

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

DE shore is nice. 

It is, but the problems there are similar to most beach areas:

-significantly less appealing if you aren’t walking distance to the water, which is cost prohibitive almost everywhere now

-tourists overwhelm your community for a portion of the year

On 7/31/2018 at 8:14 AM, KD in CA said:

Step 2:  the unionized trash collector takes his full pension at 55

Step 3:  because of NYS taxes (funding his pension), he moves to a low-tax state

Step 4:  he mindlessly votes for the pro-union candidates in his new state as he's done all his life, necessitating tax hikes there and turning that state into the next NYS. 

And thus the virus is spread.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Keep politics out of forum and this is political since it aligns with your other posts.

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It is, but the problems there are similar to most beach areas:

-significantly less appealing if you aren’t walking distance to the water, which is cost prohibitive almost everywhere now

-tourists overwhelm your community for a portion of the year

Yes. I have friends who live in a shore town. There are some upsides too. You get disproportionately great infrastructure for the number of people 10 months of the year. 

N C  Mountains are nice. I bought a house up there before I retired 4 years ago. Waiting on the wife to retire to make the move. Been in Florida past 30+yrs. Land and houses still reasonable.  You get all 4 seasons, mild winters,  close to major areas like Atlanta and Charlotte.  Plenty of stuff to see and do.