Could the new "Helmet Rule" ruin football?

#34fan

8 minutes ago, #34fan said:

These horny mountain-goats evolved to be led by their c**ks….  They just use their heads to sort out disagreements. :lol:

Not sure the motivation for the behavior matters, humans are not evolved for head first contact. These sheep not only have the skull features described in the video, but their necks and muscles along their spines are designed to defuse the force down the full body.

Also, they instinctively align their head, neck and backs into a straight line. Unlike humans, they don't duck down, instead they straighten up and turn themselves into a line. Both to give out as much force, but more importantly to create as long a path as possible for the force to dissipate down.

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Not sure the motivation for the behavior matters,

That's why you hung a clip of two mountain sheep using their primary attack/defense weapon in a mating contest -Something which has nowt to do with the present discussion. ;)

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

humans are not evolved for head first contact.

Did someone say they were? :huh:

3 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

No, this is what something looks like that has evolved to instinctively lead with the head. Humans drop their heads on impact to make themselves as small as possible to avoid contact.

To protect themselves.  Which is what I said.  What's unclear is how the league will interpret this natural instinct. -Looking forward to some strange applications of this

kooky rule. 

17 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

1:30 is the beginning. 

Here's the thing.  Jump.  You just launched yourself headfirst, it's impossible to jump and NOT do that. 

The player was in the process of jumping to make a play, he hadn't even left the ground yet when contact was made.  When contact was made (1:59) his head was off to the side and he hit the player primarily with his shoulder in the chest. There is glancing contact between the facemask and the receiver's arm.

How ELSE is the safety supposed to do his job on this play?  I'm asking seriously because unless there is a legitimate answer they just broke the game with this rule.

I cant watch the video at the moment but is the one you’re referring to the play that happened in the end zone? If so, that was ruled defenseless receiver rather than the new helmet rule. 

Has anybody else sat back and thought of the irony of how the Bills finally seem to be heading toward being a serious contender in the next few years yet the game itself is becoming almost unwatchable with all of the rule changes and officiating problems?  Kinda makes me depressed.  If not for the Bills building something right now I don't know how much interest level I would even have for the NFL.  I've already quit watching the NBA after the circus that league has turned into.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, WhoTom said:

Over the years, many rules have been implemented in order to protect players from life-threatening injuries. So far, they haven't ruined football - in fact, the NFL is thriving. I doubt that this one will be any different.

Idk, it's getting fairly unwatchable, and despite the kneeling issue, I think k most of the decline in viewership is due to crappy rules making crappy football

• Like (+1) 1

I'm probably gonna drop my subscription to NFL network....

It was the only reason I paid for premium cable in the first place.  If the games are bad, and the officiating is stupid, -I'm out.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Did anybody see the textbook wrap up tackle from the Chargers/Cardinals game that was flagged for lowering the helmet?

It may not ruin it, but dam sure it is going to have an outcome on a lot of games.  

Nope, I'll look that one up. But I did see the guy from the Colts who definitely deserved to be ejected. No place for the garbage he pulled in this game.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Didn't seem to be much of a problem on the Bills 1st preseason game.

Nor many of the other preseason games from this weekend. I dont think it was called at all in the Falcons/Jets game, and didnt hear many other fans crying about it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nope, I'll look that one up. But I did see the guy from the Colts who definitely deserved to be ejected. No place for the garbage he pulled in this game.

Nor many of the other preseason games from this weekend. I dont think it was called at all in the Falcons/Jets game, and didnt hear many other fans crying about it.

This is a problem. If I see this all year I will have to hang em up. You know what team this will go in favor for non-stop right at the most crucial time of a game? More BS subjectivity....

Edited by Real McCoy

Recent studies have shown that "headers" in soccer also can lead to long term physical problems.  is that going to lead to helmets in soccer or banning of "headers?" 

There won't be consistent "helmet rule" calls in the NFL.  It's going to lead to a lot more controversy and perhaps injuries of a different sort, such as neck sprains induced by contortions.

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

This is a problem. If I see this all year I will have to hang em up. You know what team this will go in favor for non-stop right at the most crucial time of a game? More BS subjectivity....

Ridiculous call.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD
  • Like (+1) 1

The new rule as currently written is ambiguous and bad. It will need to be revised and clarified fast because it’s already clear the officials are having a hard time with these calls (I don’t blame them, the NFL rulebook has become a rats’ nest.)

Clear spearing and targeting should be a foul (and possible ejection, depending on severity.) Penalizing milder hits is just reactive PR by the NFL and the ginger king.