Could the new "Helmet Rule" ruin football?

#34fan

As time has gone by in football and improvements to the helmet have happened players have been dropping their heads more and more.

This rule is intended to curb this trend.

I do hope it doesn't go overboard with the ref's but I don't think so.

heads up.png

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not really. It's pretty obvious when guys drop their face. I can see it from the stands/on tv.

I will agree with the worry that this gives the refs another way to control the outcome of games. However, this has been needed for a long time, and as I mentioned the players had a chance to self-regulate, but failed to do so.

They wont call it all season like they did last night. The preseason is the time that new rules get over-called in order to set the precedent and get players serious about it. You might see some in the first couple weeks of regular season, but then it will drop off once the players take it upon themselves to correct their behavior.

By dropping your face do you mean just leaning forward because the more parallel to the ground a player becomes which happens on every play the more impossible it becomes to keep your head up.

I'll ask again and its a simple question. 

How is a player suppossed to dive forward to make a tackle and keep your head up?

You can't answer it because it can't be done just like theres not a thing a defender can do when he goes to make a tackle and the ball carrier adjusts his flight path at the last second.

• Thank you (+1) 1

For those that are reading through this thread but didn't catch the game last night, someone compiled a video of the penalties last night (though I believe the last two were actually called for defenseless receiver penalties rather than the new helmet rule but the commentators didn't realize that).

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They wont call it all season like they did last night. The preseason is the time that new rules get over-called in order to set the precedent and get players serious about it. You might see some in the first couple weeks of regular season, but then it will drop off once the players take it upon themselves to correct their behavior.

I wouldn't bet on it. They can't even determine what a catch is. Now they have to figure out what is and isn't a legitimate tackle. In addition , being that this is a safety issue I'd be willing to bet they're going to err on the side of caution and lean towards calling the 50/50 calls penalties. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Figster said:

By dropping your face do you mean just leaning forward because the more parallel to the ground a player becomes which happens on every play the more impossible it becomes to keep your head up.

I'll ask again and its a simple question. 

How is a player suppossed to dive forward to make a tackle and keep your head up?

You can't answer it because it can't be done just like theres not a thing a defender can do when he goes to make a tackle and the ball carrier adjusts his flight path at the last second.

"By dropping your face do you mean just leaning forward" No, you can lean forward and keep your head up. Try it right now. Look at something straight ahead of you, lean your upper body forward, but keep your face up and looking at the object. It IS possible. And is proper tackling technique that prevents paralysis and other injuries.

You keep talking about "diving forward". Tacklers dont "dive", you are not supposed to leave your feet. You keep your head up, eyes through the thighs, initiate contact and keep your feet driving.

Watch the video I posted which will teach you proper technique. All of your questions about how to tackle are addressed in it. Until you know how to tackle, please dont debate tackling rules.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

You're going to hear about this every week all season if they call it like they did last night.

college has been unable to enforce it consistently or with a lick of common sense in the context of the game

when i'm finally fed up with the way the NFL is going and stop watching permanently, it won't be with much sadness, could happen this season....

18 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For those that are reading through this thread but didn't catch the game last night, someone compiled a video of the penalties last night (though I believe the last two were actually called for defenseless receiver penalties rather than the new helmet rule but the commentators didn't realize that).

The second penalty in the video is what I hope gets called in the regular season and the other ones in that video were called "because its pre season"

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

college has been unable to enforce it consistently or with a lick of common sense in the context of the game

when i'm finally fed up with the way the NFL is going and stop watching permanently, it won't be with much sadness, could happen this season....

I'm right there with ya. Between the commercial interruptions and all the political nonsense, my interest is already waning. I'm nearly as excited for the start of the EPL as I am the NFL.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

10 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm right there with ya. Between the commercial interruptions and all the political nonsense, my interest is already waning. 

i don't gamble any more and the NFL talent level, or maybe it's the competitiveness,  has plummeted over the last decade,

one huge factor for me is that college isn't developing the immortals that we used to take for granted.

the worst NCAA helmet thing was a game where after the whistle a d-lineman was shoved by an opponent and fell to the ground, falling backwards his helmet touched the helmet of the QB on the ground

so a defensive captain is hit with ejection and suspension right on the spot... and they took a long time showing it dozens of times, totally outside the realm of common sense

32 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"By dropping your face do you mean just leaning forward" No, you can lean forward and keep your head up. Try it right now. Look at something straight ahead of you, lean your upper body forward, but keep your face up and looking at the object. It IS possible. And is proper tackling technique that prevents paralysis and other injuries.

You keep talking about "diving forward". Tacklers dont "dive", you are not supposed to leave your feet. You keep your head up, eyes through the thighs, initiate contact and keep your feet driving.

Watch the video I posted which will teach you proper technique. All of your questions about how to tackle are addressed in it. Until you know how to tackle, please dont debate tackling rules.

edit: I dont get the "haha" tag. Instead of learning something about the game, you just scoff and dismiss it?

thanks for taking the time to explain and the haha was more to do with the rule then your explanation.( removed)

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

This is funny

On 7/29/2018 at 3:21 PM, #34fan said:

-Or, make it mostly unwatchable?  See the details on it here.

I'm all for player safety, but at some point you have to accept that "full contact" means exactly that.  What's next? -Tying hands?

IMO, it's all going to depend upon how consistently the refs can enforce and whether there is post-game film review to identify plays that weren't called but should have been.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Players have managed to play the game for decades without launching at opponents head-first like a missile to bring them down. This needed to be curbed a long time ago. 

So true. Maybe go back and teach players the correct way to tackle. With your arms. The NFL has become pinball with players bouncing off each other all the time. Or making perfect head contact and getting paralyzed. 

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is just asking for the refs to continue to influence games. 

I cant believe the owners agreed to this.

we got to see various means of helmet hitting last night

the first was a launch helmet-first well after the man was held up and not advancing, a timely whistle would be required when the play is clearly over

the second was the receiver standing up tall over the middle when contact was coming, not much the D can do with that

the third in the EZ was a lined up cheapshot on a vulnerable receiver, the main reason for this kind of concern in the game

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So true. Maybe go back and teach players the correct way to tackle. With your arms. The NFL has become pinball with players bouncing off each other all the time. Or making perfect head contact and getting paralyzed. 

Equipment upgrades are a better solution IMO.

New safer helmet designs are hitting the market.

Flexible shock absorber could be used at the back of the helmet area connecting to the shoulder pads to help prevent neck injury IMO. 

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So far, so good in the HoF Game. They've called it a couple times now, and it's been justified each time. These players have had more than enough time to go back to proper tackling technique, and refused to do so on their own. So now it's going to be regulated and penalized, as it should be.

Dont drop your head. And definitely dont drop your head and use your dropped helmet as the main point of contact. It's as simple as that, and how tackling is supposed to be done. Eyes through the thighs!

And I also saw a play that was the scenario I suggested.  Seam route into the endzone to a tall player with a ball thrown high over the trailing DB.  The safety came over and hit him in the chest with a shoulder to break up the play.  Flag thrown. How precisely do you defend that play?  The corner had good coverage and the safety rotated over. The only thing you can do now is try to play the ball which again gives a massive advantage to the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

And I also saw a play that was the scenario I suggested.  Seam route into the endzone to a tall player with a ball thrown high over the trailing DB.  The safety came over and hit him in the chest with a shoulder to break up the play.  Flag thrown. How precisely do you defend that play?  The corner had good coverage and the safety rotated over. The only thing you can do now is try to play the ball which again gives a massive advantage to the offense.

there's enough textbook coaches on here to tell an NFL DB how to make every single type of tackle out there

could one of them PLEASE go up to a real NFL DB and start a conversation on the proper way to tackle?

film it?

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

there's enough textbook coaches on here to tell an NFL DB how to make every single type of tackle out there

could one of them PLEASE go up to a real NFL DB and start a conversation on the proper way to tackle?

film it?

That's not what I asked.  If you can't make a play on the receiver in the endzone to break up the play how do you defend that play other than breaking up the ball?  Simply tackling the guy isn't good enough, they still score. Saying you have to make a play on the ball gives a HUGE advantage to the offense in that they can run 6'5" receivers or 6'7" TEs out there who are guarded by 6' DBs and if the DB makes too much contact with the receiver he will get flagged for DPI anyway.

Any team that isn't exploiting the intermediate to deep middle of the field with large players now is foolish.