Buffalo (WNY) vs. "Fair Weather" Areas

Heavy Kevi

WNY vs Fair Weather  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better area/climate

• Buffalo/WNY
    • Fair Weather Areas (FLA, CAL, etc...)

Since I live in Canada its hard for me to move to a warmer climate. Believe me if I could I would move to Florida in an instant. I hate cold and snow. I am so amazed at how many people seem to hate the heat but love the cold.

Besides there is lot more things to do in the warmer weather then in the depths of winter. You can't go to parks like Cedar Point in the winter. 

I live about an hour north of San Francisco. I've traveled all over and I have to believe this is the best climate. No snow. No humidity. The winters are not too cold. It only rains in the winter (bad for fire season). If it ever gets too warm, don't worry...our built in air conditioner (the fog) will come back and cool things off, so there is no oppressive heat. If it gets too hot, I can also go to the coast (15 miles) and feel a 20-30 temp change. I can drive a bit north to say...Healdsburg and get a 10 degree uptick in summer, drive a little south (Petaluma or SF) and get a little cooler. If I want to deal w/ snow...I can drive to Tahoe. It's all about the microclimates. 

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Makes all the difference. I don't have one. Too much $$$ to have one installed for an above-ground pool.

I just actually had to get a new one for my inground pool this year.  My old was 15 years old it was kind of corroded inside.  It wasn't cheap, I think it ran me $3 grand or so.  But 9 year old daughter will jump in the pool at any temp but my wife & my 14 year son won't go in the pool unless it is over 82.  When I was a kid we used to go swimming all day in our pool & the water was never above 70 because my neighbors had a big willow tree in their back yard & the pool never got sun.   You never heard my sisters & me complaining that the water was too cold. 

Edited by Gordio

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

If I lived up in WNY I would probably immerse myself in hunting.   I imagine the weather is just perfect for it.   You don't know misery until you've sat in a blind for 3 hours in South Carolina in 93 degree heat.   No way the deer don't smell my perspiration.   

Yes, and the deer are larger.  Hubby was going to hunt down in Florida when we wintered there until he saw the size of the deer. LOL

Up here he and his buddies will take 8 or more deer a season on "his" hunting land (up by Lake Ontario). We have venison galore (blech). He has a lifetime hunting license which gives him 1 deer of either sex, 2 doe tags, and then depending on the region, you can get another 2 doe tags (up to 5 deer on one license). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yes, and the deer are larger.  Hubby was going to hunt down in Florida when we wintered there until he saw the size of the deer. LOL

Up here he and his buddies will take 8 or more deer a season on "his" hunting land (up by Lake Ontario). We have venison galore (blech). He has a lifetime hunting license which gives him 1 deer of either sex, 2 doe tags, and then depending on the region, you can get another 2 doe tags (up to 5 deer on one license). 

That sounds perfect! I hope he never gives that up.   

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Since I live in Canada its hard for me to move to a warmer climate. Believe me if I could I would move to Florida in an instant. I hate cold and snow. I am so amazed at how many people seem to hate the heat but love the cold.

Besides there is lot more things to do in the warmer weather then in the depths of winter. You can't go to parks like Cedar Point in the winter. 

Have you ever Been to Florida? Theme parks get old, just like the beach and you can't ride snowmobiles on sand. Flat as a pancake and boring as !@#$. Thank God football season is right around the bend.

41 minutes ago, T&C said:

Have you ever Been to Florida? Theme parks get old, just like the beach and you can't ride snowmobiles on sand. Flat as a pancake and boring as !@#$. Thank God football season is right around the bend.

Theme parks never get old. The rush you get riding a roller coaster is one of the best things. The only good thing good about winter and fall is hockey. 

25 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Theme parks never get old. The rush you get riding a roller coaster is one of the best things. The only good thing good about winter and fall is hockey. 

Have you ever been to Florida though?

On 7/30/2018 at 2:54 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Being retired, climate is not a consideration, because I don't have to go out in whatever weather is happening.  If it's too; cold, hot, snowy, humid, etc., I'm not there.

Born & raised in BUF.  Grad. in '69, left in '70 for my job.  Have lived in; DC, Chicago, Houston. Seattle, Williamsburg VA., and finally Richmond.   I've lived through Cat 5 hurricane in Houston (Alicia '83),  hurricane Isabel in VA. 2003, and more snow storms than I could count.  Any snow is Seattle is brutal because of all the steep hills.  So, with all that, I'd go back to BUF except for one thing, Taxes!  Retiree income does not go very far in NYS.  I love it, but can't afford it.  

I think that's a cop out. No offense.

What's really the difference? 10k a year... @ the very VERY most?  That's really a game changer?

You get what you pay for... And if everything you enjoy is there, you aren't willing to fork out a little more? I find it hard to believe you can't put a price on that OR if you do, it's so low/cheap.

What #s are we talking here that are back breaking?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's really the difference? 10k a year... @ the very VERY most?  That's really a game changer?

You get what you pay for... And if everything you enjoy is there, you aren't willing to fork out a little more? I find it hard to believe you can't put a price on that OR if you do, it's so low/cheap.

Not a cop out really... different people have different budgets and agenda's. He isn't kidding on the taxes... they are insane, especially for property owners. Get some land, throw 20 cows on it and you might be alright. I'm more thinking just rent something up there for 5 months and call it a win.

I spent my first 26 years in WNY (and Boston for college) and the last 11 in New Orleans. While New Orleans is ungodly hot in the summer I’ll take that all day long over shoveling. The heat index hit 116 degrees last week and was as miserable as I remember. At the same time it isn’t much to go play golf when the heat index is 100+. You just get used to it. 

Southern California is the answer to the question though. It’s consistently nice. You don’t have highs and lows. 70’s and 80’s year round would be perfect.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

yes, 10K a year, every year, for how many years? 

30 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

yes, 10K a year, every year, for how many years? 

But you spend it on other things.  I can see if you said NYS sucked... But should it not cost.  It's a give and take.  Gotta have a value.  Just saying... I think people want everything for free.

What about the services... You can get "Meals on Wheels" @ 80+ and wellness checks... No matter what the income is being made. LoL... ?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I spent my first 26 years in WNY (and Boston for college) and the last 11 in New Orleans. While New Orleans is ungodly hot in the summer I’ll take that all day long over shoveling. The heat index hit 116 degrees last week and was as miserable as I remember. At the same time it isn’t much to go play golf when the heat index is 100+. You just get used to it. 

Southern California is the answer to the question though. It’s consistently nice. You don’t have highs and lows. 70’s and 80’s year round would be perfect.

Nagin is better off dying in the facility ...he's a walking dead man if he gets out.Metry Brah

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But you spend it on other things.  I can see if you said NYS sucked... But should it not cost.  It's a give and take.  Gotta have a value.  Just saying... I think people want everything for free.

What about the services... You can get "Meals on Wheels" @ 80+ and wellness checks... No matter what the income is being made. LoL... ?

You first, AND let me know how your enjoying all the imaginary freebie services.  I do much prefer to "spend it on other things," that's called freedom. 

I have all the "value" I need right here.  Give & take my as*!  NYS, along with the entire NE USA, is not competitive, even considering all their NY is Open for Business adds..  It's all about competition and NY is failing!

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

You first, AND let me know how your enjoying all the imaginary freebie services.  I do much prefer to "spend it on other things," that's called freedom. 

I have all the "value" I need right here.  Give & take my as*!  NYS, along with the entire NE USA, is not competitive, even considering all their NY is Open for Business adds..  It's all about competition and NY is failing!

I respectfully agree to disagree.  There has to be value on what you describe NYS assets are, they are just not in your price range.  Where we disagree is how much that price range is.  You get what you pay for.

Again... You've stated that NYS had it all over others except for taxes.  Well, that's the price one pays for having it all over others.  Everything has its price, you just don't think it's low enough.  They are competing just fine.  All the cheapskates would be flooding the state if they lowered the price.

You said you value NYS over the rest... I would be more apt to agree with you if you said it was a ****-hole.  It's not for a reason.  That reason is pricing you out.  It's out of your league.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois