Allen already a factor in QB race ?

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

A broken collarbone is not nearly as potentially damaging as an injury within the shoulder joint capsule itself.  It breaks,  you might put a pin it it, it heals. and move on.

Yes.  And one throw still doesn't matter either way.  He obviously can throw a football.  Like any other young QB his success will depend on how he adapts to the speed of the NFLgame.

OK old wise one. I think we all know what he has to do. Thanks for that brilliant insight. Maybe, just maybe that quick release might help him a little. And there are old NFL qbs that can't adapt to the speed of the NFL game, just for the record.

I can whole heartedly commend the daily Cover 1 camp podcasts to the board. The day 3 one where Erik and Nate break down some film from the first three days and get into both the offensive scheme and also Allen is really, really excellent work. When it comes to detailed analysis of the Bills at this time of year there really is nowhere else to go. 

Seems to me that Allen had a bit of a meltdown on day one but hell, who hasn't had nerves the first day on a new job. Some real promising signs on day 3 particularly. Love that he is executing swing passes and screens because they were there very rarely on his college tape and when they were called he was really struggling with the precision ball placement needed. Encouraging signs. Looking forward to seeing him get a whole bunch of playing time in pre-season game 1. He will almost certainly go into that game as the #3 but I expect him to come out of it neck and neck with AJ (and the rest of the board to wake up to what some of us can already see.... Peterman sucks).

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BB@Shooter said:

OK old wise one. I think we all know what he has to do. Thanks for that brilliant insight. Maybe, just maybe that quick release might help him a little. And there are old NFL qbs that can't adapt to the speed of the NFL game, just for the record.

Agree with your takes.  Just wanted to clarify about collar bone breaks.  And I don't get too high or low on one throw for any QB in preseason.  Can't wait to see what the kid does in preseason games.

4 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Err... he wasn't even criticising Josh here. He didn't need the sarcastic, passive aggressive response. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Err... he wasn't even criticising Josh here. He didn't need the sarcastic, passive aggressive response. 

Thanks.  Just a minor misunderstanding.  I was hoping they'd take Rosen, but they must have had reasons why they didn't.  We'll all rooting for Allen of course.  But I've always felt it's what's between the ears that make the great ones great.  Guys that get to the NFL can make NFL throws or they'd be gone.  But to be great you have to know when and where to throw it.  Three best ever to me are Brady, Montana, and Manning.  None are physical marvels, but may be the three fastest thinkers to ever play the position.

42 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Hopefully his first game this year is better than his first last year.

9/24 64 yards 1 Int

Did you watch the game? He played better than the stats show. Also had a td in the end zone dropped, not counting others passes dropped. I will even admit it didn't look like the Josh Allen from the year before. The OC tried to make him play differently than the year before.  He certainly wasn't himself.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Worry about yourself. I don't want to see you melting down again because someone didn't think you put your time in. This is a message board. It is full of opinions, right or wrong. Some people do their homework, some don't. 

8 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Did you watch the game? He played better than the stats show. Also had a td in the end zone dropped, not counting others passes dropped. I will even admit it didn't look like the Josh Allen from the year before. The OC tried to make him play differently than the year before.  He certainly wasn't himself.

I watched that game and I have watched it back twice since too. I thought he absolutely sucked that day. The dropped pass in the endzone obviously wasn't him that was a perfect ball... but his ball placement on his out routes was off all day he was high on things, late on things, took a bizarre sack where he went haring off towards his own endzone. It was a mess. 

8 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Worry about yourself. I don't want to see you melting down again because someone didn't think you put your time in. This is a message board. It is full of opinions, right or wrong. Some people do their homework, some don't. 

Hahaha. There is only one meltdown happening here. You rampaging through the board like Josh Allen's personal body guard against any hurt feelings. 

You are not interested in actual debate or analysis. You think anyone who disagrees with you has an agenda. There is an agenda in this thread. We can all see where it comes from. 

Edited by GunnerBill

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Love that he is executing swing passes and screens because they were there very rarely on his college tape and when they were called he was really struggling with the precision ball placement needed.

On that point:

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/how-bills-qb-josh-allen-is-trying-to-fix-his-short-throw-issues

“I’m very confident with my arm and my ability to makes throws. The type of throws where I struggle are kind of the underneath patterns where I’ve got to tone down my arm a little bit. And sometimes, you know I hate to use an analogy, but it’s like I’m 100 yards out and I have a 4-iron. So I’m just trying to develop more clubs to put it on the green.”

Allen, 22, said he stays after practice – as he did Sunday – or comes out onto the practice field as much as 30 minutes early to “just throw those routes.”

“We’re getting to where we want to get,” he said. “Still, it’s going to take some time. And I’m not putting any pressure on myself right now.”

“Well, it’s like – I’m going to use another golf analogy,” Allen said. “When you slow down your swing, that’s when things tend to go wrong. So it’s about finding the right tempo in my arm for the ball to come over the top, get the right spin and ultimately hit the target in the right spot.

“So I just can’t slow my arm down. And sometimes I think I need to. But I don’t need to. I just need to control it at the top a little better. That’s what we’re (working on).”

That's encouraging to me. He doesn't have a lot of experience with those throws so he doesn't have to relearn muscle memory. He has to build it from scratch which is much easier. And he admits it is a flaw that he needs to work on. Nothing is guaranteed but I love his attitude about it.

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, having a doctorate in anatomy I'd have to argue a bit there.  The clavicle articulates with the acromium which certainly can be considered part of the shoulder.  But breaking a collarbone is easy to get over, only in severe cases would one have to insert pins.  You'd certainly rather have this than a rotator cuff to be sure.

I am pretty sure all the teams thinking of drafting Allen had him do physicals. They wouldn't be stupid enough to draft him that high if they had questions or worries about his health. But I figure you already know that seeing you have a doctorate in anatomy. So you should know better than most of us if the Bills need to worry.

I pitched fast pitch softball for 25 years, finally blew my rotator cuff lifting after the season ended. It was most painful. I feel it has healed, but don't want to take the chance and find out. Don't care to invite that pain back. Plus the sport died out in our area. Now I stick to golf. And I suck at that because I want to swing the club hard like I did the bat. It just doesn't feel right if you can't go full speed. Lol.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

On that point:

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/how-bills-qb-josh-allen-is-trying-to-fix-his-short-throw-issues

That's encouraging to me. He doesn't have a lot of experience with those throws so he doesn't have to relearn muscle memory. He has to build it from scratch which is much easier. And he admits it is a flaw that he needs to work on. Nothing is guaranteed but I love his attitude about it.

I vouch for him having trouble throwing those types of throws. The offense didn't use them a lot and when they did it was always iffy. The backs weren't good at catching them, and Allen wasn't real good at throwing them. But give Allen a down and out pattern and the ball was usually there on a dime, even though the other team knew it was coming, they couldn't stop it.

I wished we would have had better down field receiver blocking. There would have been a lot more yards after catch. Which would have helped his stats. And his receivers hardly ever ran patterns past the 1st down marker on 3rd down. Causing another 3 and out. Wyoming's offense had a lot of flaws and was never built around Allen. It is built around a strong run game, which they didn't have last year. They averaged around 100 yards a game rushing, and they lost over  100 yards rushing from the year before where they averaged over 200 yards a game. But the OC insisted in running on 1st and 2nd down, and Allen usually had to throw on 3rd and long. Every team then brought the blitz and Allen made the best of it. But I never saw him complain during his whole time at Wyoming. 

1 hour ago, BB@Shooter said:

You guys act like he never got hit in college. He played behind a horrible line and he took on all comers. He sought out contact. In a game against SDSU, he threw an interception and chased the guy down at the 2 yard line and laid him out. He caused a fumble for a touchback. Wyoming ball on the 20. That is Allen and his mindset, he will do whatever it takes to win. Including playing in a crap offense with a crap OC at Wyoming. He just wants to play football. He will beat the odds, he usually does.

Hope you're right.... Because there's a big difference between an NFL LB hit and a University of New Mexico LB hit...

Allen's size dwarfed a good portion of the kids he played against in college... That simply won't be the case anymore...

If he wins the start, it's BAL, LAC, MIN... For perspective, that's the 11th, 4th and 2nd ranked pass defenses respectively.

We're gonna get a look at that "mindset" you talk about reeeal quick.

Edited by #34fan

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I watched that game and I have watched it back twice since too. I thought he absolutely sucked that day. The dropped pass in the endzone obviously wasn't him that was a perfect ball... but his ball placement on his out routes was off all day he was high on things, late on things, took a bizarre sack where he went haring off towards his own endzone. It was a mess. 

Hahaha. There is only one meltdown happening here. You rampaging through the board like Josh Allen's personal body guard against any hurt feelings. 

You are not interested in actual debate or analysis. You think anyone who disagrees with you has an agenda. There is an agenda in this thread. We can all see where it comes from. 

You have been against Allen since day 1. You also feel threatened if someone knows more than you. At least I an not trying to hide my agenda. I know Allen''s strengths and weaknesses better than you do. And I watched the games live and on film. Allen is far from perfect, but he is better than people like you give him credit for. It is way too early to figure out if he should play ahead of the other two. I am expecting some days where he doesn't have it. And then all the naysayers will be giddy. But he will come back, that is what Josh Allen does. Get used to it. As far as your debates and analysis goes, it is mostly repetitive junk you guys beat to death. There are only so many things to go over, and then it should be put to rest. But not on here, it seems to just never die out. I try not to read that same stuff over and over.

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

Hope you're right.... Because there's a big difference between an NFL LB hit and a University of New Mexico LB hit...

Allen's size dwarfed a good portion of the kids he played against in college... That simply won't be the case anymore...

If he wins the start, it's BAL, LAC, MIN... For perspective, that's the 11th, 4th and 2nd ranked pass defenses respectively.

We're gonna get a look at that mindset you talk about reeeal quick.

Just curious, so why would Peterman or McCarron hold up to it any better? I hope Allen gets coached up not to scramble too much. I don't want to see him get hurt. I will say Allen had an innate sense of knowing where the pressure was coming. I hope he still has it in the Pros because he will need it.

17 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

1) You have been against Allen since day 1. You also feel threatened if someone knows more than you. At least I an not trying to hide my agenda. I know Allen''s strengths and weaknesses better than you do. And I watched the games live and on film. Allen is far from perfect, but he is better than people like you give him credit for. It is way too early to figure out if he should play ahead of the other two. I am expecting some days where he doesn't have it. And then all the naysayers will be giddy. But he will come back, that is what Josh Allen does. Get used to it. As far as your debates and analysis goes, it is mostly repetitive junk you guys beat to death. There are only so many things to go over, and then it should be put to rest. But not on here, it seems to just never die out. I try not to read that same stuff over and over.

2) Just curious, so why would Peterman or McCarron hold up to it any better? I hope Allen gets coached up not to scramble too much. I don't want to see him get hurt. I will say Allen had an innate sense of knowing where the pressure was coming. I hope he still has it in the Pros because he will need it.

1) He has an informed opinion, and you just don’t like it. If he’s been against Allen since day 1, that doesn’t make him wrong (or threatened), that just makes him consistent. If anyone seems more objective here......

2) Maybe the other guys DON’T hold up any better, but look at what is invested in each guy. The other two are more expendable. If we can’t protect the QB, you don’t put the crown jewel at risk. 

Now, I hope all your optimism and enthusiasm turn out to be well founded. We will all just have to wait and see. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

1) He has an informed opinion, and you just don’t like it. If he’s been against Allen since day 1, that doesn’t make him wrong (or threatened), that just makes him consistent. If anyone seems more objective here......

2) Maybe the other guys DON’T hold up any better, but look at what is invested in each guy. The other two are more expendable. If we can’t protect the QB, you don’t put the crown jewel at risk. 

Now, I hope all your optimism and enthusiasm turn out to be well founded. We will all just have to wait and see. 

I don't put out anything that isn't true or can't be supported. So how does that make me different?

6 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

I don't put out anything that isn't true or can't be supported. So how does that make me different?

True? As in fact? None of us have anything more than opinion, for the most part. If anyone feels so strongly that they think their opinion is fact, they need to take a step back. I get it, you are a huge supporter of Allen, and I want (and pray for) you to be correct. The rest of the world has legit cause for concern. We shall see in time. 

I’ll be seeing a sister-in-law this week who confuses her opinions with facts. I’m dreading that time together. She can be a PITA. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

True? As in fact? None of us have anything more than opinion, for the most part. If anyone feels so strongly that they think their opinion is fact, they need to take a step back. I get it, you are a huge supporter of Allen, and I want (and pray for) you to be correct. The rest of the world has legit cause for concern. We shall see in time. 

I’ll be seeing a sister-in-law this week who confuses her opinions with facts. I’m dreading that time together. She can be a PITA. 

Not going to get into semantics with you. You can flick that same logic on almost every poster on here and no one is 100% good. This is arguing just to argue. I would rather talk football.

Just now, BB@Shooter said:

Not going to get into semantics with you. You can flick that same logic on almost every poster on here and no one is 100% good. This is arguing just to argue. I would rather talk football.

As long as we accept your “truth”. I get it. 

It’s not just semantics, it’s communication. You can’t dismiss the difference that easily with a trite phrase. 

I think you’ve got me wrong. He wasn’t my first choice for the obvious reasons. But I’m PRAYING he is our next HOF QB. He has great tools. I get it....

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

We're gonna get a look at that "mindset" you talk about reeeal quick.

Yea, too bad he didn’t go against those great Big XII and PAC defenses every Saturday ?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I can whole heartedly commend the daily Cover 1 camp podcasts to the board. The day 3 one where Erik and Nate break down some film from the first three days and get into both the offensive scheme and also Allen is really, really excellent work. When it comes to detailed analysis of the Bills at this time of year there really is nowhere else to go. 

Seems to me that Allen had a bit of a meltdown on day one but hell, who hasn't had nerves the first day on a new job. Some real promising signs on day 3 particularly. Love that he is executing swing passes and screens because they were there very rarely on his college tape and when they were called he was really struggling with the precision ball placement needed. Encouraging signs. Looking forward to seeing him get a whole bunch of playing time in pre-season game 1. He will almost certainly go into that game as the #3 but I expect him to come out of it neck and neck with AJ (and the rest of the board to wake up to what some of us can already see.... Peterman sucks).

Cover 1 is great......and it will be a lot more fun for fans if and when the Bills start mattering again.   

I am stoked about seeing Allen in the preseason.     The offense they run will likely look nothing like what they plan to operate..............I believe I have yet to see the Bills run their regular season offense during the preseason since the SB era........but just can't wait to see what he can do.

And we can agree on Peterman sucking.

Much is made of his lack of arm talent but after being initially surprised by his incredible decisiveness......... I had the sobering realization midway thru the preseason that his quick decisions were 100% pre-snap read and 0% post snap field vision and he's been pretty much dead to me as a prospect since.   Kudos to him for being able to fake it though.  Fortune has favored his boldness.  He fooled McD and Dennison into starting him in the middle of a playoff race.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1