Darnold and Allen , offsets and no offsets

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

How is Mayfield doing?

He looks great football-wise. But he looks like an out of shape 40 year old, just to look at him with the beard and the gut 

hard knocks will be super entertaining, I think. Tons of personalities on that team.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He looks great football-wise. But he looks like an out of shape 40 year old, just to look at him with the beard and the gut 

Don’t make fun of him! I’m working VERY hard to look like an out of shape 40 year old, but it’s tough going. 

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

Why would a team not control the contract? Why would an employee agree to something they don't want? Honestly, there are tons of reasons for both. Those reasons are evidenced by the fact that there are actually contract negotiations. 

Contracts have liquid damages clauses in them all the time...

Honestly, I am reserving judgment until the full story is revealed. I just get annoyed at all the fans who automatically take the team's side, especially when NFL players have arguably the worst CBA of the 4 major sports and is being the most violent of the 4 sports.

Sorry man - not for nothing but Hockey is MUCH worse than these 15 second per play prima donnas in tu tu's.  Hockey players play thru physical things that an NFL player would NEVER play thru.  Have you ever really watched a hockey game?  I mean really watched one, sat on the glass and watched the amount of abuse an average hockey player goes thru?  Being hacked at with sticks, being SLAMMED into the boards.......sorry man - I just do NOT agree with you.  We can just agree to disagree on this one......I love both sports but hockey players take MORE abuse and play thru it......no turf toe in hockey.....

Edited by Kwai San

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Darnold is actually refusing offset language. Jets want it in there. Allen and Mayfield have it, they wanted to get their deals done in time for camp so didn’t fight for leaving it out.

He is the one who orchestrated Marrone’s 4mill prize for quitting, and Rex’s 5 for 50 of which he only worked 2.

Yep.  He's got coaches all over the place.  There have been other times, in the college ranks, where one of his clients is fired and another of his clients gets hired for that job.

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Sorry man - not for nothing but Hockey is MUCH worse than these 15 second per play prima donnas in tu tu's.  Hockey players play thru physical things that an NFL player would NEVER play thru.  Have you ever really watched a hockey game?  I mean really watched one, sat on the glass and watched the amount of abuse an average hockey player goes thru?  Being hacked at with sticks, being SLAMMED into the boards.......sorry man - I just do NOT agree with you.  We can just agree to disagree on this one......I love both sports but hockey players take MORE abuse and play thru it......no turf toe in hockey.....

I have played both sports. My worst concussions came from fooseball, and those hit also tweak the neck. I'd let my son play hockey as a 5 y/o, but am not willing to let him play football until he is 16. To me,  the blows to the grape make football perhaps more violent, but surely more dangerous. If I wanted I could easily go on, pointing out how many players leave the football field in a stretcher or paralyzed, the length of pro careers, etc. 

I do get what you're saying, but I believe the head shots are a lot more controlled in hockey. Plus, hockey has more of a gentleman's etiquette (you get to fight). 

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

I have played both sports. My worst concussions came from fooseball, and those hit also tweak the neck. I'd let my son play hockey as a 5 y/o, but am not willing to let him play football until he is 16. To me,  the blows to the grape make football perhaps more violent, but surely more dangerous. If I wanted I could easily go on, pointing out how many players leave the football field in a stretcher or paralyzed, the length of pro careers, etc. 

I do get what you're saying, but I believe the head shots are a lot more controlled in hockey. Plus, hockey has more of a gentleman's etiquette (you get to fight). 

I too played both and like I said we can just agree to disagree......imho I believe hockey to be worse in many other ways ( sadly or not, the gentleman's etiquette is being phased out of the game so there is TONS of cheap shotting going on these days with little to no fear of retaliation. )  Your point of leaving on stretchers is noted, however hockey guys do not drop to the ice as often as football players and are often lead to the dressing room with debilitating injuries also.  Just looked the average years for NFL - 3.3 years - average years for NHL is 5.  I just wonder how the count the bodies.....at any rate based on just MY observations and experience - I tend to say hockey players are more fit, see more hits over the arc of their career.  Football players are exposed to tremendous violent collisions which is proally going to get dumbed down over the years......hockey not so much.

By the way - I never had a concussion playing fooseball!  My neck did twist a few times watching my shot bury its way into the goal!  JK.

Sam Darnold wants to be on the practice field. He's apparently made that clear to his agents.

Darnold and the Jets are currently at a stalemate when it comes to the USC product's rookie contract. Darnold's agent, Jimmy Sexton, is not budging and neither is Jets' general manager Mike Maccagnan. New York's No. 3 overall pick missed his second straight day of practice Saturday; he knows missing more time is a detriment to his development.

According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Darnold wants his representation to get the deal done so he can get on the field with his teammates.

"He had told his agents, 'Get it done, I want to get into camp,'" Garafolo said on air. "They told him, 'Hang on, let us handle the business end of things' and Darnold is deferring to them."

Tyler Calvaruso -Jets Wire

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if it’s because Darnold knows he’s redshirting regardless behind Mccown? Mayfield is supposed redshirt too but it’s not his style to concede that esp to a guy like Tyrod. Bills were clear josh had a chance to win the job so he probably wanted to get in as soon as he could. Darnold seems to lack “fire” to me when I watch him play, jmo

Not sure if that’s true or not, but I read that the Jets plan on giving Darnold every chance to win the starting job. 

Edited by BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not sure if that’s true or not, but I read that the Jets plan on giving Darnold every chance to win the starting job. 

They should do that, but had previously announced that McCown would start this year.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks for the explanation......pretty petty.......with the top 10 or so picks getting 100% guaranteed money, if they're THAT worried about getting cut early on and not being able to "double dip" they must really suck...AND..."double dipping" would be GRAND LARCENY for suckitude IMO......R U scared Sam??..........

That's what they said about Joey Bosa.

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They should do that, but had previously announced that McCown would start this year.

Yes, but I thought that they also kind of walked back those comments -

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-gm-indicates-sam-darnold-will-get-chance-to-start-nothings-been-predetermined/

On Wednesday, during an appearance on "The Rich Eisen Show," Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan indicated that the Jets will hold an open competition this summer. 

"Nothing's been predetermined one way or another," Maccagnan said. "There's a chance for anything on the table. Nothing's been sort of set in stone in terms of how we're going to do this in terms of a firm time frame. But he's going to have every opportunity and we'll see how it develops going forward."

I dont think they’ll force him into that #1 role by any means. But I do think he will be given plenty of opportunity to win the job. 

16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes, but I thought that they also kind of walked back those comments -

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-gm-indicates-sam-darnold-will-get-chance-to-start-nothings-been-predetermined/

I dont think they’ll force him into that #1 role by any means. But I do think he will be given plenty of opportunity to win the job. 

Missed that! Good for them, never understood why teams (like the Browns) make declarations on a starter so early especially with a highly drafted rookie in play 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

That's what they said about Joey Bosa.

His was a little different. He conceded the  offset language prior to camp starting. The issue that caused the holdout was he wanted more of his signing bonus up front vs divided into increments with a large portion paid out the following spring because of high Cali taxes. Wanted it in the bank and earning money more quickly. The Chargers always do things the same way and didn’t want to set new precedent. The owner is very conservative and not cash happy. His agent was driving it though and was a huge factor in the holdout for whatever reason. He was inexperienced (it was actually a guy from Orchard Park) ... as soon as he switched agents (same agency different guy) the deal got done. 

Edited by YoloinOhio