Khalil Mack holding out... in Buffalo

Just now, njbuff said:

Ok, I'll play along.........

Jerry Hughes and a first rounder for Mack. There, problem solved.

You left out the gazillion dollars, but it’s always nice to play the game. Speaking of which, I have yet to win the lottery. I’m getting testy about that. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

You left out the gazillion dollars, but it’s always nice to play the game. Speaking of which, I have yet to win the lottery. I’m getting testy about that. 

You gotta be in to win it. Hey, you never know.

Hometown discount?  Las Vegas is overrated.

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

Gruden was NOT loved by those who played for him. I heard that a LOT when Ilived near Tampa in his days there, and I heard a former player today say he’d spoken to 5-6 former Gruden players and they all agreed, after the rah-rah wore off, they learned you couldn’t trust him.

My personal experience was not good, either. 

Did you meet him?

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Did you meet him?

I was on the field next to him while our sons were doing 7 on 7’s at USF. (My son won the day!)  Also heard from a lot of the local folk who were there at HS games he attended. He was abusive to 16-17 year old kids. I listened daily to a sports talk show with a former Buc who knew almost all of the team he coached. That guy said most players hated him, especially Keenan McCardale who said he was blatantly lied to.

Oddly, years later, the former player I heard today on national radio said he’d talked to about a half dozen former Gruden players, and none of them trusted him. Same story. Maybe the most overrated coach ever. Won a SB with Dungy’s team, but I think his career record may be below .500. 

I’m convinced. I’m not asking anyone else to be convinced. 

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

That shouldn’t be the last thing I see before going off to dream the night away. Waking up could be a huge disappointment! 

Here you go, Augie. Problem solved. Sweet dreams...

Labyrinth2006_PeterTinker_240h.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Here you go, Augie. Problem solved. Sweet dreams...

Labyrinth2006_PeterTinker_240h.jpg

Thanks, now I’ll just stay up until sunrise! Not necessarily  the next sunrise, but some sunrise when I feel it might be safe....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

And, from what other posters have said, he's still legitimately angry at the Front Office for taking Watkins instead of him 4 years ago.  VERY doubtful he ever comes here.

Different front office.  And $$$ talks anyway.

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was on the field next to him while our sons were doing 7 on 7’s at USF. (My son won the day!)  Also heard from a lot of the local folk who were there at HS games he attended. He was abusive to 16-17 year old kids. I listened daily to a sports talk show with a former Buc who knew almost all of the team he coached. That guy said most players hated him, especially Keenan McCardale who said he was blatantly lied to.

Oddly, years later, the former player I heard today on national radio said he’d talked to about a half dozen former Gruden players, and none of them trusted him. Same story. Maybe the most overrated coach ever. Won a SB with Dungy’s team, but I think his career record may be below .500. 

Interesting, but not that surprising.  I give him credit for his success with the Raiders, but he was just average with the Bucs after his SB title.

A lot, to say the least.  With the way this team is right now, do you want to give up a 2019 1st that could be a Top 5 pick?

Fine by me.

Mack is better than any player they might take if it were a top 5 pick. Mack is still a young player approaching his prime, not an older veteran. Mack is a proven, impact player in the highest level of football in the world. McD and Frazier with Mack? Yes.  

Adding Mack would not preclude adding other pieces in draft or Free agency.  The Bills would still have 8 draft picks if they traded this hypothetical first rounder.  Theoretically, lets say they gave Mack 20 mil per year.  Beane would still have 40 + million of cap room, and that's without making moves to the purge the roster of $.  And Mack is not getting 20 mil.

if Beane could get Mack for a first he better be all over that.  I don't think Oakland would give Mack up for "only" a first though.

10 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Fine by me.

Mack is better than any player they might take if it were a top 5 pick. Mack is still a young player approaching his prime, not an older veteran. Mack is a proven, impact player in the highest level of football in the world. McD and Frazier with Mack? Yes.  

Adding Mack would not preclude adding other pieces in draft or Free agency.  The Bills would still have 8 draft picks if they traded this hypothetical first rounder.  Theoretically, lets say they gave Mack 20 mil per year.  Beane would still have 40 + million of cap room, and that's without making moves to the purge the roster of $.  And Mack is not getting 20 mil.

if Beane could get Mack for a first he better be all over that.  I don't think Oakland would give Mack up for "only" a first though.

Hey you never know. There might be some super fast injury prone receiver out there that Oakland really likes in the 1st round.

Why in God's name would he come here?  Even if he did, you want to pay him more than what we paid for Mario?

Are you saying that we shouldn’t try and sign Khalil Mack?

why would any free agent come here?  He lived in buffalo and has great memories in buffalo.  Why would Micah Hyde sign in buffalo?  Vontae Davis signed a cheap contract to come here.  

The real question is:  why in God’s name would YOU come here and spew such garbage.  He’d come here because he loves the city, we have boatloads of cap room, owners that will spend, a coach that seems to know what he’s doing, a very solid DL to play with, one of the best secondaries in the league to give you more time to get to the QB and the best fan base in the NFL.  And don’t forget boatloads of cash to spend.  

I wouldnt be upset if we paid him 20 mill a year.  Still gives us 40 mill+ and an entire draft to fix the OL and WR while adding another starting CB. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

How did a kid from Fort Pierce end up going to UB? Florida to Buffalo? Insanity.

From what I read, I thought UB was the only D1 school that gave him a scholarship offer, or their was maybe 1 or 2 others.

Like a lot of others, he wasn't set on buffalo but went there and ended up loving it. Why wouldn't He? He had an amazing college career and has recognition unlike any other UB player by his senior year. The city loved him.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don't like the hire by the raiders, but the guy is 100-85. Won a Superbowl, should have went to two. I'm not sure what standing next to him means, but whatever.

Can we just pump the breaks just a little..... Khalil Mack is a very fine football player. He was a stud at UB and he has been very good in the NFL.  I do think though, and it may be the UB thing, that he is just a tad overrated by Bills fans. We have had people in this thread saying he is going to cost way more than Aaron Donald and that there is nobody as talented as Mack in next year's draft - when in fact it might be one of the most talented DLine drafts ever if everyone pans out this year. 

Khalil Mack is probably the best 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL at the moment, but as yet I don't think he is a transcendent talent - which you might think reading this thread. I can't remember a more popular non Bill in the NFL the whole time I have been on these boards. 

I'd be very happy to see the Bills bring him to Buffalo - it would certainly free them up to go offense in the draft. I don't think it will happen and it would cost a chunk of the money we have to go FA shopping next year  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

These players are being ridiculous, they act like they should get QB money. Not happening boys so take your record breaking deals and get back to practice.

Von Miller got 6 years, 114 million with 70 million guaranteed before the 2016 season.  Mack will probably get more than that due to inflation and putting up slightly better numbers in sacks and tackles the last three years (Mack -36.5 sacks and 228 tackles, Miller- 34.5 sacks and 170 tackles).  You're pry looking around paying Mack 20 to 25 million dollars a year for 5 or 6 years if you want to invest that much money in a non QB.  Now would be a good time to do it with Josh Allen on his rookie contract, but it's a pipe dream at this point.

• Like (+1) 1