Why I think the D will be dominant

to the "luck" thing. 

Gotta be good to be lucky sometimes. Put yourself in the right position enough and good things happen, ie. luck goes your way.

Hole in one for instance, gotta be hitting the ball enough around the hole on the par 3's to get one to drop...combo luck/skill

• Like (+1) 1

We clearly targeted Julian Stanford given how early we signed him.  I seem to remember Jets fans wishing they kept him as many thought he never got a chance he deserved. 

Given his measurables and how they translate to McD's vision on defense, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this guy doesn't pull a Jordan Poyer this year.

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

He is a question mark, particularly as a rookie. The thread relates to this year. His skills and size are obvious, but he's very young and raw, and will be tasked with "quarterbacking" the defense. That's no easy task. 

What adding him (and the other new additions in defense) should do is allow McD to more adequately run his defense, and be more varied in his play calls, especially blitzes. But to say that he is not a question mark, without ever playing a down in the NFL, is wishful thinking. There's likely going to be some growing pains along the way, and he'll probably be doing a lot more thinking, rather than reacting early on in his career

That was the big criticism of Edmunds in college. 

"The concern with Edmunds centers on his instincts. He struggles to anticipate where plays are going, instead being reactive. In the college game, a player can get away with that and still be productive. That isn’t the case in the NFL, as that slight difference in time can make all the difference in whether a play is made. Instincts are the most important trait a linebacker needs to have to be a top player in the NFL."

https://670thescore.radio.com/bears-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report-tremaine-edmunds

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

Edmunds + ?????  > Preston Brown.

I really like the idea of Edmunds instead of Brown, long term, especially given the defense the Bills currently run. But Brown has never missed a game in his 4 years, and led the league in tackles last season. He may be an average player, but the Bills can do worse. Any player with question marks is not better than Brown right now, until proven otherwise IMO. And who knows, he may bust. I don't believe he will, but it happens all the time.

54 minutes ago, BuffaloTX said:

3 and out Taylor is gone now..

Taylor has his issues, but he wasn't terrible. He just wasn't consistently good. The grass isn't always greener...the Bills have 3 inexperienced QBs. We shouldn't expect any one of them to come out of the gate on fire.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

That was the big criticism of Edmunds in college. 

Exactly. The coaches have been talking him up, but it's very early in his career to make any definitive judgements. I didn't think he had major, frequent insticual issues in college, as the quote you posted alludes to, but there were plenty of instances where he was a step late. Perhaps his age is a factor there. But I can recall several plays where his instincts were on full display. In time, I think he'll be okay. 

He was a steal for the Bills where he was drafted, but that doesn't mean much until the games are played. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Defense wins games. . . .unless you are Rex Ryan. I'm still angry at that hire. Oh well. Go Bills.

So our opponents are trying to defeat us with their stout defenses. 

Since we don't want their defense to win the game for them, we want to field a proficient offense that can overcome their strong defense.  

So offense wins games?

3 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I really like the idea of Edmunds instead of Brown, long term, especially given the defense the Bills currently run. But Brown has never missed a game in his 4 years, and led the league in tackles last season. He may be an average player, but the Bills can do worse. Any player with question marks is not better than Brown right now, until proven otherwise IMO. And who knows, he may bust. I don't believe he will, but it happens all the time.

Led the league in tackles downfield last season. He made ZERO Big plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

to the "luck" thing. 

Gotta be good to be lucky sometimes. Put yourself in the right position enough and good things happen, ie. luck goes your way.

Hole in one for instance, gotta be hitting the ball enough around the hole on the par 3's to get one to drop...combo luck/skill

We also lucked out like the Bengals and Panthers games, so it works both ways. Bottom line , we were in 13/17 games last year with an abysmal QB/OC combination 

36 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Led the league in tackles downfield last season. He made ZERO Big plays.

A Hugeeeee liability in pass coverage . Very well said... 

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

So our opponents are trying to defeat us with their stout defenses. 

Since we don't want their defense to win the game for them, we want to field a proficient offense that can overcome their strong defense.  

So offense wins games?

Agreed and I think they do. Considering we had a number 4 defense that got us no where.

And look at NE defense 

The way the NFL is structured, it's hard to have a dominant D, unless you have incredible talent to overcome all the rules that are against the D in the NFL.

The Bills seem to be building the team the right way that will contend for championships every year. I don't know if this year they compete for a championship, but less talented teams have won SB's in the recent past, so who knows.

My goal for this year is to see if the Bills struck gold on their two first round picks........ one as a franchise QB on offense and the other on defense. If this happens, the Bills are contenders for years. Everything will fall into place as the years move on.

The Bills went 9-7 with a far below average QB and a rookie HC, yet made the playoffs. Everyone is down on the Bills, AS USUAL, but I can see them going 11-5 and making the playoffs again while continuing to build a very strong roster to be a SC contender for many years. But this is just my stupid opinion, so its kinda worthless.