Gunner's Roster Thread

So training camp is finally, finally just about here. I am already eagerly awaiting the first instalment of Astro's Notes.  As longer tenured members of the board will know I like to take a slightly different approach to predicting the roster than just naming the 53. I like at this point to go through what we have and brigade them into one of three categories:

BLACK - Guaranteed roster spot (excluding major injury or suspension)

BLUE - Probable roster spot

RED - Fighting for those last few spots

All clear? Then let us begin.... Here is my first stab at categorising the players currently on the Bills 2018 roster (missed a few out who I consider basically no-hopers but if one flashes I will add in later updates).

Quarterback

Josh Allen

AJ McCarron

Nathan Peterman

Running Back

LeSean McCoy

Chris Ivory

Patrick DiMarco (FB)

Travaris Cadet

Taiwan Jones

Marcus Murphy

Keith Ford

Tight End

Charles Clay

Nick O'Leary

Logan Thomas

Jason Croom

Khari Lee

Keith Towbridge

Wide Receivers

Kelvin Benjamin

Jeremy Kerley

Zay Jones

Andre Holmes

Rod Streater

Ray-Ray McCloud

Austin Proehl

Kaelin Clay

Malachi Dupre

Brandon Reilly

Cam Phillips

Robert Foster

Offensive Line

Dion Dawkins

Ryan Groy

Jordan Mills

Russell Bodine

Wyatt Teller

Vlad Ducasse

John Miller

Marshall Newhouse

Conor McDermott

Adam Redmond

De'Ondre Wesley

Ike Boettger

Defensive Line

Kyle Williams

Harrison Phillips

Star Lotulelei

Trent Murphy

Jerry Hughes

Shaq Lawson

Adolphus Washington

Eddie Yarbrough

Owa Odighizuwa

Terrence Fede

Marquavius Lewis

Tenny Palepoi

Linebacker

Tremaine Edmunds

Matt Milano

Ramon Humber

Lorenzo Alexander

Julian Stanford

Deon Lacey

Tanner Vallejo

Mat Boesen

Corey Thompson

Cornerback

Tre'Davious White

Vontae Davis

Taron Johnson

Phillip Gaines

Siran Neal

Levi Wallace

Lafayette Pitts

Breon Borders

Safety

Jordan Poyer

Micah Hyde

Rafael Bush

LJ McCray

Kelcie McCray

Dean Marlowe

Special Teams

Stephen Hauschka

Colton Schmidt

Reid Ferguson

Cory Carter

Tyler Davis

So in totally I have 28 all but written in to make the 53 and another 15 that I think likely do.  That leaves 10 spots to shoot for and will no doubt be influence by positional balance, special teams ability and performance in camp and pre-season. Okay TBD let me hear where and on who you disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

My biggest issue is your D line.  Hughes should be written in black and I think Washington should be in blue.  Lawson could be red.

I don't think Hughes gets cut, but I don't totally rule out a trade. Blue still means I think he likely makes it but there is just a chance I think that they would flip him for a pick. Reason I have Lawson having more chance than Washington is simply that I see three absolute certs ahead of Washington at DT and so there is probably only one spot left. I think Lawson may benefit from a lack of alternatives at DE. 

My comments are specific to the defensive line.  Agree that Hughes should be written in black, I don't see him not making the roster.  I think Eddie Yarbrough should be written in blue as he has been a solid niche player.

Overall, this list looks solid.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

My comments are specific to the defensive line.  Agree that Hughes should be written in black, I don't see him not making the roster.  I think Eddie Yarbrough should be written in blue as he has been a solid niche player.

Overall, this list looks solid.

good point and I agree....Eddie has been solid when called upon........

Agree with most.  Nice job!  I agree with eball that Hughes should be in black.  I understand your rationale for Alexander being in blue but I think he's a lot closer to black.  Don't see that Rafael Bush is a lock.  Think Siran Neal should be with the safety group and that he and Bush should both be in blue and that Phillip Gaines is likely closer to black than blue with the CB's. 

No real issues with what you've predicted on offense.  Obviously too bad that Zay Jones is already in blue.  I think McCarron is pretty much a lock and unless something were to develop with another QB elsewhere, Peterman can't be far behind him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Hughes gets cut, but I don't totally rule out a trade. Blue still means I think he likely makes it but there is just a chance I think that they would flip him for a pick. Reason I have Lawson having more chance than Washington is simply that I see three absolute certs ahead of Washington at DT and so there is probably only one spot left. I think Lawson may benefit from a lack of alternatives at DE. 

Excellent assemblage of players.

I'm predicting that Aldolphus Washington will be traded. Not that he is bad but there is an excess at his position. 

What a rebuilding team needs is some hits on some unexpected young players. I'll be watching Conor McDermott to move up the ranks and become a swing tackle. 

If Streater can stay healthy he should be a contributor to the less than sterling receiver corps. 

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Logan Thomas makes this team again I might actually smash something. 

Banging your head will not make you a better thinker! :devil: 

Edited by JohnC