Top 10 biggest traitors in Buffalo Bills history

On 7/23/2018 at 1:20 AM, greenyellowred said:

7. Doug Marrone ("Saint Doug") - named as the Bills head coach in 2013, he led the Bills to their first winning season in 10 years in 2014: 9-7. He then quit the team with 3 years left on his contract because he didn't like being pressured by GM Doug Whaley to play QB EJ Manuel and was worried about the ownership change. Team captain Freddie Jackson said his treacherous behavior was like being "punched in the stomach". New Bills head coach Rex Ryan said the Bills deserved a loyal coach. Marrone was paid his full salary by Buffalo in 2015, despite signing on to become as Assistant Coach with Jacksonville that season. He went on to become head coach for them and led Jacksonville to its first playoff win ever in the 2017 season.

You realize the jags had playoff wins before 2017, right?

5 previous playoff wins, and went to two conference championship games (1997 and 1999).

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2018 at 12:36 AM, Frez said:

Should we mention Thurman Thomas? He took off mad and went to play for our #1 enemy at that time......,Miami! That was just weird! 

fyp.  Thurman is number 1.  Not only because of what he did, but because that was back in the day when he KNEW what he was doing.  The rest of OP's list is just crying and woulda-coulda-shoulda.  To me there is only 1 traitor.  Every time I see him I wanna just change the channel.

Brett Favre coulda went anywhere, but he CHOSE to go to a division hated rival.

4 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Mike Gillislee and Chris Hogan ... Any player that leaves the Bills for the patriots is a traitor.

I feel you, but to me, the Patriots are just a rival.  Not an arch-enemy.  That spot is reserved for Miami.  And, let me say, I'm glad that my favorite team has a true arch-enemy.  Otherwise I'd be bored. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

fyp.  Thurman is number 1.  Not only because of what he did, but because that was back in the day when he KNEW what he was doing.  The rest of OP's list is just crying and woulda-coulda-shoulda.  To me there is only 1 traitor.  Every time I see him I wanna just change the channel.

I feel you, but to me, the Patriots are just a rival.  Not an arch-enemy.  That spot is reserved for Miami.  And, let me say, I'm glad that my favorite team has a true arch-enemy.  Otherwise I'd be bored. 

Jim Kelly, before he retired in 1997, threatened to go play for our rival Pittsburgh.

6 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Mike Gillislee and Chris Hogan ... Any player that leaves the Bills for the patriots is a traitor.

Don’t forget about Stephan Gilmore!!

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

Does Mario Williams count then? He want to the fish. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

Don’t forget about Stephan Gilmore!!

Does Mario Williams count then? He want to the fish. 

Rex drove him away, so I don't really count that.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..nope...productive when here....

Williams made the pro bowl 2 of the 4 years with us.

Last year doesn't count, as Rex ruined him.

Williams sack totals were: 10.5, 13.0, 14.5, 5.0.

He was plenty productive with us.

Gilmore was a darn good corner, including a pro bowl his last year.

You sound like "sour grapes" are poisoning your mind.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:21 AM, folz said:

It's a good list. The only points I would dispute are bolded above. I know what you're getting at with Kelly spurning the Bills in 1983. It really sucked and he was a different guy back then, but there is no way Kelly should be on a list of "traitors" to the Bills, when he is now one of the most loyal and beloved Bills. He just can't be on the list despite how things started out. He made up for the rocky start and then some. Maybe if the list were called something else, you could include him. But not "traitors."

And I'm not sure how "only" getting Bennett out of that trade hurt the Bills dearly. Yes, it was a lot to give up, but Biscuit was one of the last pieces of the puzzle for the Super Bowl teams. He was a 2nd overall pick. He wasn't just a guy. In 1988 our pick would have been around 11 -14. How much would it cost to move up from say 12 to 2? That's what the Bills were trying to do this year and were expecting to give up at least their two first-rounders. What if they had given the Giants #12, #22, and Cordy Glenn. It wouldn't be that big of a difference from what the Bills paid for Bennett (who became a borderline/possible Hall of Fame player). 

Sing it sister!

• Like (+1) 1