Top 10 biggest traitors in Buffalo Bills history

The Jaguars have had 5 playoff wins before their game with the Bills this past season, including beating the Bills in the WC round in 1996. 

They also destroyed the Dolphins 62-7 in 1999 in what was (I think) Dan Marino's last game.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, nucci said:

Ralph stripped Knox of all personnel decision making.....Cribbs wanted to get paid and Ralph wouldn't do it...Reggie McKenzie a Bills traitor....? Your list is a bit flaweed

Agreed about Knox. Knox got tired of Ralph's meddling and left. Otherwise, John Butler, AJ Smith, Doug Flutie and Steve Christie should be on this list since they all left because of the same reasons (Ralph's meddling). 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He wasn't a traitor.  Just a disgruntled ex employee who couldn't come to grips he got fired because he sucked at his job.

I'd add Willis McGahee to this list given we took a chance with a 1st round pick, gave him a year to rehab, and then forced his way out of here by saying he thought we should move to Toronto.

Remember when the majority opinion around here was that he was a great signing and would bring the Bills back to relevancy?

Good times.

• Like (+1) 1

Marrone had an amendment put in his contract once RCW passed away because he wanted to have his own "out" in case new ownership wanted to come in and clean house. He's tried to make himself look like a martyr in saying that the reason he walked was because he demanded raises for everyone on his staff, which was denied. It's also been rumored that he asked for a contract extension, which was also denied. The Pegulas planned on keeping him but didn't have any plans to mess with his current contract or any of his assistant's current contracts. At the time he quit, he had his agent in his ear telling him he was "guaranteed" the Jets HC job. But then he went to interview with them and evidently gave a horrible interview. Rumors I read were that when asked why he left the Bills, he talked in circles and really just didn't have a convincing reason. On top of that, the dude is straight up moody as hell and players would say they'd come off a win and come back to practice the next week and Marrone would be sulking around as if they just got blown out 58-3. Teams usually adapt/adopt the attitude/persona of their leadership and if the leadership is kickin' rocks all day because he couldn't handle a press conference then it's not gonna be a really conducive work environment.

I'll give him some credit for the 9-7 2014 season but I'll give more credit to Jim Schwartz and that defense. And many of the veteran players were over his "old school" style from pretty early on. The dude wanted to run the show like a college program but that stuff doesn't fly with guys who've been around the league for a while. On top of that, he was rigid to his game plans/schemes and either refused to adjust or just couldn't. Someone else mentioned how his boss is now Coughlin and that Marrone should be careful but Coughlin is one of Marrone's idols. I'm sure he's more than happy to let Coughlin run the personnel and follow whatever instruction he wants. Either way, to me, the guy is always gonna be an L-7 Weenie.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 3

What about Ronnie Harmon and the drop in the Cleveland playoff game?

iirc there was stories about how he had a gambling debt and the two were related. Does anyone remember this rumor? I was like 13 and can remember bits and pieces of the story.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

I blame the cheapskate front office for Peters being traded.  Guy signed a RT tackle deal and had a probowl LT tackle season.  Deserved a pay raise the FO wasn't going to give him.

Lynch was living in a hostile environment created by the media.  Not saying he didn't make mistakes but the media continually harped on it.  I would have looked to get out as well.  Also both players were "traded",  they didn't leave on their own.. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

This thread seems to be the football equivalent of the fascist political mantra of "my country, right or wrong".   If professional football is a "business" when it comes to owners/managements replacing decent/older/injured/more expensive players with better/younger/healthier/cheaper players, why is it "treason" for players to look for better pay/better opportunities for recognition/better working conditions/more security?   Isn't that what tens of millions of Americans do every year when they quit their current jobs to take new ones.   Are they "traitors", too?

OP, take your stupid post and shove it where the sun don't shine.  It's disgusting. 

I was going to say something similar, just maybe not as disrespectfully.

This is the NFL. If the owners don't have to be "loyal", why do the players? This is their careers; they don't owe the team, or the fans, anything. And TBH, the Bills haven't been a very good/well run franchise for a large portion of their existence. Ralph had a reputation of being cheap, and that idea wasn't specific to fan speculation only. When Jim Kelly said "What would you choose, Houston or Buffalo?", (I hate to say it) but he had a good point, for multiple reasons. and not only was the franchise's future altered due to his decision to play in the USFL (by being terrible enough to land Bruce), but his career could have taken a much different path as well.

Everything happens for a reason, and you could argue that the "glory years" may have never happened, had Jim started his career in Buffalo. The glory years really was the result of a perfect storm of events that blended together, starting with Jim going to Houston, followed by drafting Bruce #1, hiring Polian, finding a diamond in Andre, etc. 

Now that doesn't mean that I disagree with the entire premise of this thread. Guys like Andersen, McGahee, Smerlas, etc. all deserve a place among the biggest "traitors" (maybe the wrong choice of word) in team history. But just being drafted by the Bills doesn't mean that they should swear their allegiance to the team and ride it out with them no matter what. "Loyalty" in professional football is loose at best, but if a team shows some loyalty to the player, then chances are that the player will show some loyalty in return, to some extent. But again, we're talking about the pre-Pegula Bills here, and (God rest his soul) Ralph wasn't exactly known for his widespread loyalty (WRT football; great man away from the game).

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

WHOA! Someone had urine flavored Cherrios this morning.

Are you telling me none of these ticked you off when they happened? I know for me Jason Peters and Doug Marrone really got me fuming.  Also, to compare athletes to the average American is pretty laughable. Though I agree they should fall under and abide by the same laws we all do, they live in a world that is far from ours. Those tens of millions of Americans you mention, are they signed under contract when they quit after receiving millions of dollars in compensation? Most likely not.

I will agree with you as far as the "traitor" monikor being off base. Its more like being classless.

It's SoTier. It's what he does.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Marrone had an amendment put in his contract once RCW passed away because he wanted to have his own "out" in case new ownership wanted to come in and clean house. He's tried to make himself look like a martyr in saying that the reason he walked was because he demanded raises for everyone on his staff, which was denied. It's also been rumored that he asked for a contract extension, which was also denied. The Pegulas planned on keeping him but didn't have any plans to mess with his current contract or any of his assistant's current contracts. At the time he quit, he had his agent in his ear telling him he was "guaranteed" the Jets HC job. But then he went to interview with them and evidently gave a horrible interview. Rumors I read were that when asked why he left the Bills, he talked in circles and really just didn't have a convincing reason. On top of that, the dude is straight up moody as hell and players would say they'd come off a win and come back to practice the next week and Marrone would be sulking around as if they just got blown out 58-3. Teams usually adapt/adopt the attitude/persona of their leadership and if the leadership is kickin' rocks all day because he couldn't handle a press conference then it's not gonna be a really conducive work environment.

I'll give him some credit for the 9-7 2014 season but I'll give more credit to Jim Schwartz and that defense. And many of the veteran players were over his "old school" style from pretty early on. The dude wanted to run the show like a college program but that stuff doesn't fly with guys who've been around the league for a while. On top of that, he was rigid to his game plans/schemes and either refused to adjust or just couldn't. Someone else mentioned how his boss is now Coughlin and that Marrone should be careful but Coughlin is one of Marrone's idols. I'm sure he's more than happy to let Coughlin run the personnel and follow whatever instruction he wants. Either way, to me, the guy is always gonna be an L-7 Weenie.

The Jets HC job was supposedly his dream job. There were also rumors that the Bills front office called up other teams to blackball Marrone after he did us like that. I can believe it. A rookie head coach that went 9-7 (with a franchise like Buffalo) would be a pretty hot commodity on the open market, and he was only able to land as an offensive line coach.

To the original post, I'd put Marrone higher on the list. I'd also move Lynch way down (probably out of the top 10) and put McGahee up there. Lynch was run out of town by the media/fans and never said anything bad about Buffalo afterwards.  

• Like (+1) 1