Eeriely quiet @ OneBills Drive

Buffalo obviously has a couple of positions that could be strengthened greatly by adding a FA right before camp starts. On the Offensive side of the ball , adding a WR or interior OL would make sense to upgrade the O.  Where I see an opportunity to upgrade the team is on the Defensive side . I would love for the Bills to add Navarro Bowman. He would be the Starting MLB on early downs and obvious running downs. When we go into a dime package he comes off for a DB. And our two LB’s are Milano and Edmunds. I feel this move would do 3 things. Strengthen our Run D, take some pressure of Edmunds as the Defensive Quarterback right off the bat, and he will be a good role model for Edmonds on how to play the MLB position. A two year deal worth 7 Million should get it done .

Edited by Paul Costa

If he wants to play in Buffalo. You can't just force free agents to sign.

Plus, if Bowman can't make a 90 man roster around the enitre league, what does that say? Could say a couple things: 1) he wants too much money, 2) he doesn't want to go through all the off-season programs, like OTA's and training camp, 3) he is viewed as not very good anymore, 4) he is waiting for a team to have a starter injured so he can come in and be a starter.

I don't think the Bills will make many moves until cuts start happening around the league.

5 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Buffalo obviously has a couple of positions that could be strengthened greatly by adding a FA right before camp starts. On the Offensive side of the ball , adding a WR or interior OL would make sense to upgrade the O.  Where I see an opportunity to upgrade the team is on the Defensive side . I would love for the Bills to add Navarro Bowman. He would be the Starting MLB on early downs and obvious running downs. When we go into a dime package he comes off for a DB. And our two LB’s are Milano and Edmunds. I feel this move would do 3 things. Strengthen our Run D, take some pressure of Edmunds as the Defensive Quarterback right off the bat, and he will be a good role model for Edmonds on how to play the MLB position. A two year deal worth 7 Million should get it done .

i agree with you on bowman but don't see it happening. a rt would be nice.

I just don’t see this happening. Yes, with Trader Beane running the show, we’ve gotten used to and come to expect that no player is a lock to continue as a Bill. But I think the cupboard is pretty bare for trade capital at this time and he won’t likely spend ‘19 Draft picks at this early stage. 

Coach seems content with what we have going into Camp, unlike the rest of us.

But I agree. I believe we have to upgrade a couple Offensive positions.

In the old days they would all be quiet so Buddy could get his naps in. But I don’t think that’s it. 

I trust these guys to make moves when it’s time. Now is just kind of that dead waiting period. Is anyone really active? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

In the old days they would all be quiet so Buddy could get his naps in. But I don’t think that’s it. 

I trust these guys to make moves when it’s time. Now is just kind of that dead waiting period. Is anyone really active? 

...LMAO!....Buddy went into hibernation early November and awoke at 9:15AM on draft day.......at least he was "refreshed".....

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Bowman has lost too many steps and would be a backup if he made the team.  Edmunds was not drafted to sit.

Let's invest time in the new, young players - not over the hill retreads.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dalton said:

Bowman has lost too many steps and would be a backup if he made the team.  Edmunds was not drafted to sit.

Let's invest time in the new, young players - not over the hill retreads.

I think you missed my point. Edmunds would play weak side on first downs and MLB in dime packages. You should check out what Bowman did last year in Oakland. Your way off on your statement there. Edmunds would be on the field all 3 downs. Milano , Bowman, and Edmunds on running downs, and then in dime packages Milano , Edmonds and a extra DB. To me this would strengthen a solid group and let Edmunds develop with less pressure. This would take Lorax out of the starting lineup and let him be a situational pass rusher and SP ace.

35 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO!....Buddy went into hibernation early November and awoke at 9:15AM on draft day.......at least he was "refreshed".....

He napped "like his hair was on fire"...

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I think you missed my point. Edmunds would play weak side on first downs and MLB in dime packages. You should check out what Bowman did last year in Oakland. Your way off on your statement there. Edmunds would be on the field all 3 downs. Milano , Bowman, and Edmunds on running downs, and then in dime packages Milano , Edmonds and a extra DB. To me this would strengthen a solid group and let Edmunds develop with less pressure. This would take Lorax out of the starting lineup and let him be a situational pass rusher and SP ace.

Edmunds is the starting MLB and has been since OTAs and minicamp.  That is not going to change.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

We traded up for Edmunds for him to start. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I think you missed my point - Bowman is washed up.

29 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

So you don't want Edmunds to be the qb of the defense but in dime packages you want him to be the qb of the defense?  Why not just let him stay in the middle instead of moving him around.  If you want to get Lorax off the field then go find a guy that plays his position that's better then him.  Don't take a promising young rookie and move him from his natural position so you can upgrade a different position.  Just upgrade the position in question.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills will, in my opinion, make one significant move either signing a player like Bowman after an injury hits them, or they will bring in a veteran cut from another team. The Bills have too many areas of concern for them not to at least kick the tires on a player either when injury hits or when rosters start to get trimmed down. 

I think Guard, RT and WR are the three spots on offense where you could see a significant veteran signing (Maybe even RB if Shady is suspended or out) and Linebacker seems to be the spot on defense. Overall I think the Bills must like what they have in camp enough to see how the roster is panning out. Then as you see what you have and you see what is out there on the market you can make a move if needed.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

I agree that it’s been awfully quiet and something is about to break. As far as the Bowman thing, I don’t see it happening.

I think it is just going to stay quiet until training camp is in full swing. July before training camp is a time when coaches, front office, and players usually take their families on vacation to get some leisure time in before the long grueling season starts. That's why it is usually a pretty dead time around the league. All the rosters are set, the draft and OTA's are in the books, the veteran free agent market has been static for well over a month and the scouting for the next draft has been blueprinted.

By the end of June the coaches have their training camp programs locked in and there really isn't a whole lot for them to do, players are always in shape so getting some mental rest is always worthwhile and executives have their teams set and know what free agents are out there. So it just ends up being that dead time in the league where pundits just talk about "Season Predictions" and "Camp Battles" for the billionth time while everyone actually involved in the game is getting that last vacation in.

It's also the last few weeks where these players, coaches and executives can really spend time with their families for months. Toss in the fact that it is summer and you have just a general downtime in the league. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it all goes down to the roster philosophy of Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott.  They seem to really focus on building through the draft and finding “their guys.”  So far they haven’t really taken chances on veterans with injury histories.  McDermott is very big on availability and so don’t see them counting on a player like Bowman. 

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Mills is one of the most underrated players on the team. He's fine at RT 

Mills is a good run blocker but a really bad pass blocker. In a passing league and with an inexperienced QB (No matter who starts) I think pass blocking at that position is at a premium. I think Mills is the epitome of a player you want coming off the bench a bubble starter type. I think him and Newhouse are both backup caliber players while having one of those guys on the roster is nice depth one of them will end up starting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

A dime Package only carries 1 linebacker...

what you are referring too is a nickel package