2018 season expectations

McBean

What a weird spot I’m in as a fan for this upcoming season...

I have ZERO expectations for this team. I guess I was so happy that we got the drought off our backs last year that I don’t care if we aren’t that good this season. It’s like I almost expect us to be bad. 

3 reasons I’m fine with us taking a step back this season and me being not too mad...

1. Playoff drought finally over 

2. Drafting our hopeful franchise QB in Josh Allen ( growing pains.)

3. Brandon Beane’s first draft class and time to develop the younger guys.

I expect us to win around 4-6 games this season. What I’m excited about is seeing how Allen, Edmunds, and the younger guys play.

I’ve always been a long term thinker. I’m viewing this season as training for a true dynasty being built for 10+ years starting in 2019.

Just some honest thoughts and would like to hear everybody else’s expectations for the upcoming season since TC is 5 days away.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think they'll be better than 6 wins, by the defense alone.  The expectation I have going into the season is 8-8 or 9-7.  My big thing is that I want to see progress on the offense side of the ball, both coaching and players executing, after a less than stellar 2017 offensive showing.

Will reserve speculation until opening day roster is set but it appears that the Bills have a very tough schedule especially in the first half of the season.  Every year there are surprises (good and bad) around the league.  Beane and McDermott seem like they have their act together which to me means there is a better chance for upside than downside but again it looks like a tough schedule. 

8 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Playoffs again this year. Tom Brady is 48 years old and he will start playing like it. We’ll be competing with the Jets for the division. I’ve also had 3 bloody Mary’s already today

...could be a bit presumptuous this early on..in 2017 they were grinders, the persevering lunch pail bunch... won games I didn't think they could....lost some they should not have...certainly caught some breaks when they were "Daltonized"......2018?.....plenty of newness with players, Daboll & new offensive scheme.....predicting their record is non-sequitur....makes about as much sense in sweating bullets over PRE-SEASON strength of schedule prognostications be it 12-4 or 4-12.......bottom line is that me thinks McD has built the proper team culture and despite all of the "newness", they will be very competitive yet "on the line"...breaks will ultimately determine whether they are IN or OUT.......stay tuned...

29 minutes ago, McBean said:

I have ZERO expectations for this team. I guess I was so happy that we got the drought off our backs last year that I don’t care if we aren’t that good this season. It’s like I almost expect us to be bad. 

3 reasons I’m fine with us taking a step back this season and me being not too mad...

I expect us to win around 4-6 games this season. What I’m excited about is seeing how Allen, Edmunds, and the younger guys play.

I’ve always been a long term thinker. I’m viewing this season as training for a true dynasty being built for 10+ years starting in 2019.

Just some honest thoughts and would like to hear everybody else’s expectations for the upcoming season since TC is 5 days away.

Go Bills

I do not have high standards for my favorite sports team. Win more than lose is the low bar for me. Anything less sucks, anything more is fun.

I think the defense will be better than last year but the offense will be worse.   Call it a wash.

But we had some timely turnovers last year and I'm not expecting that this year.  So maybe 7-9?  

I really want to see who the QB is, what's up with Shady, and what kind of OC Daboll is before going on record with a prediction.  

I think the defense will improve a little while the offense either stays about the same or takes a small step backwards. I expect that we'll go into the final week of the regular season at 8-7, needing a Bills win and another team's loss in order to get a wildcard spot.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think they'll be better than 6 wins, by the defense alone.  The expectation I have going into the season is 8-8 or 9-7.  My big thing is that I want to see progress on the offense side of the ball, both coaching and players executing, after a less than stellar 2017 offensive showing.

Agreed. Was just watching the replay of the playoff game and that D stepped up and was simply dominant (as i think we often forget it mostly was during the season),  and love the tactical way they approached upgrading it ... add a space eater, stock up on pass rushers with high upsides, bring in a rookie middle linebacker who many experts think could be an all-pro for over a decade. However, I also agree with the OP that I have few expectations either way (due to sooo many questions/wild cards), other than I doubt this team will go full disaster as, well, after pulling out of the latest 5-2 and finally making the playoffs in a season when we seemingly had no business doing so, I have to feel like McDermott is something special. A lot of the last place predictions seem to be predicated on the idea that Allen will start and the brass won't care what happens. I'd bet if Allen is starting it's because they see his progress as quicker than anyone could anticipate. 

If I were pressed, the best I could narrow down would be between 6-10 and 11-5 with Shady's case, Zay's rebound, the unfamiliar names on the O-line holding up, and whether Star is who they hope he is in the defense being the determinant factors.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Playoffs again this year. Tom Brady is 48 years old and he will start playing like it. We’ll be competing with the Jets for the division. I’ve also had 3 bloody Mary’s already today

Yuk yuk yuk. Hilarious. You over state Tom's age by 8 years. Obviously, the Bloodies affect your keyboarding.

I'll have what you're having 'cept I want Tito's vodka and Clamato.

33 minutes ago, boater said:

Yuk yuk yuk. Hilarious. You over state Tom's age by 8 years. Obviously, the Bloodies affect your keyboarding.

Yes I over exaggerated the fact that Tom Brady is old as ****. And I do like to mix some Clamato in from time to time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, McBean said:

Go Bills

This is pretty much where I’m at. If the young guys show signs of development we are good. Next year we will have almost $100m and 9 draft picks to address the offense. The big picture is a much larger concern to me this year. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I wanna think our staff picked out a nice bridge qb in mccarron.  Our qbs threw for 2800 yards last year. Can aj come in and throw for 3500 and a decent td to int ratio? If that can happen our team is winning some games.

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think the defense will be better than last year but the offense will be worse.   Call it a wash.

But we had some timely turnovers last year and I'm not expecting that this year.  So maybe 7-9?  

I really want to see who the QB is, what's up with Shady, and what kind of OC Daboll is before going on record with a prediction.  

I agree with you on defense, however I believe Dennison was an absolute dud at OC and he made our O look worse than it was. If Daboll runs the same Offense as NE we will be ok and I think 8-8 at worst

3 hours ago, McBean said:

Go Bills

Right now in the off-season I agree 100% with you.  Once the season gets started though I have a tendency to let emotion rule lol 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boater said:

Good.  If they keep buying his vodka, maybe he can afford a professionally made radio spot.  The 'Tom Carvell' of the distillery world.

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Once the season gets started though I have a tendency to let emotion rule lol 

So YOU'RE the one responsible for Fitz's big contract!!!