Calling out a player's name and why.....

When we played street football when I was a kid, when we tried to stretch out over the curb and and tap our toes to catch a pass, we'd yell "Bobby Chandler!" if we were able to lay out and make the catch

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Every time I hit a jumper I'd yell " 2 for MacAdoo"....the LA kids would always look at me funny...

Ironically, what used to be the Braves is now LA's other basketball team.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:58 AM, The Process said:

As a kid, when we were playing sports in the empty field, basketball in the driveway, hockey at the creek, my friends and I would call out a players name as if they were them. Example: I just threw a perfect pass to my buddy...and yell out "oh yeah....JIM KELLY".  Showing my age here, but when someone doinked a basketball of the backboard or shot an air ball....all my friends would yell out...HUMMER!!!!  What's your player....and why.....? 

Sorry man... I was an absolute unwavering bills fan,  but touchdown passes were ‘Montana to Rice’  

On 7/21/2018 at 9:45 AM, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

So when u were at a game as a kid, calling an athlete out for an autograph, you'd say Mr.? Or if you were at an autograph signing? Nope. I've always called my favorite athlete by his first name. Everybody does, regardless of their age. "Hey Bruce, can I get your autograph?" You never said "Hey Mr. Smith, can I get your autograph?"

Uhh I think he was just asking who kids would imitate they were while playing back yard games, not formally addressing a player at a banquet 

On 7/21/2018 at 1:59 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Great memory! Ernie ‘No D’. Along with MacAdoo, Heard, McMillan, Randy Smith, Bob Kauffman. I still hate John Y. Brown!?

Sigh Randy Smith taking off from the foul line and that kid had wheels... of course anytime you broke ankles carrying the ball then threw a stiff arm it was OJ.  Martin and his wrist shot. An interception was either Bob James or Tony Greene.  We all practiced McAdoos behind the head fade away. Jack lambert though was the man on D.  But we all tried to zip it like Fergusen.  Guy had a cannon.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2018 at 9:16 PM, Buftex said:

I was a dumb kid, around the same time...I still get teased to this day for playing alone, on the front lawn saying "OJ passes it to Simpson"

You and my brother are the only two I've heard about that could pull off the feat of 'one person football'.  I'm sure there are many others.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

I was always confused by this. 

When I was a kid, I was always taught to call my elders "Mr/Mrs whatever their name is" out of respect.

Why do these rules go out the window when talking to athletes and celebrities?

Doesn't mean everyone had those rules. That's more of a southern thing.

17 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

4th and 1 in the snow it was Hoyle Granger!

I had a friend here in Canada who would emulate Granger whenever he ran the football in our 'semi rough, no equipment tackle' games.  He would always strike that classic RB pose with one arm out front to stiff arm tacklers, the ball tucked away in his other arm.  One question:  Was it 'GRAIN-jer', or as he insisted 'GRAWN-jay'?  You two are the only ones I've ever heard mention the player.