Calling out a player's name and why.....

As a kid, when we were playing sports in the empty field, basketball in the driveway, hockey at the creek, my friends and I would call out a players name as if they were them. Example: I just threw a perfect pass to my buddy...and yell out "oh yeah....JIM KELLY".  Showing my age here, but when someone doinked a basketball of the backboard or shot an air ball....all my friends would yell out...HUMMER!!!!  What's your player....and why.....? 

I was playing sandlot football in the early-to-mid 70s. The Bills had a really good running back - Orenthal, something or other - whose name was uttered whenever someone broke off a big run. On passing plays, it was Fergie to Chandler.

• Like (+1) 2

My grandson running routes in the yard.....I hold the football to long....and yell "I can't see you....where are you....".   "Tyrod!". It cracks him up everytime! 

Blistering slapshot (of a tennis ball we punched holes in to take away the bounce) with my mylek street hockey stick........REEESHARD MAR-TEN!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

I was always confused by this. 

When I was a kid, I was always taught to call my elders "Mr/Mrs whatever their name is" out of respect.

Why do these rules go out the window when talking to athletes and celebrities?

Referring to someone vs addressing someone are two different things.

"Now for your listening pleasure, Mr. Sinatra". (?) 

13 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Referring to someone vs addressing someone are two different things.

"Now for your listening pleasure, Mr. Sinatra". (?) 

So when u were at a game as a kid, calling an athlete out for an autograph, you'd say Mr.? Or if you were at an autograph signing? Nope. I've always called my favorite athlete by his first name. Everybody does, regardless of their age. "Hey Bruce, can I get your autograph?" You never said "Hey Mr. Smith, can I get your autograph?"

• Like (+1) 1

In my group this phenomenon happened mostly when we lowered the basketball rim and had slam dunk competitions. 

“Jordan!”, “Dominique Wilkins!”, “Clyde the Glide!”, even Spud Webb at one point. I’m assuming it coincides with a particular year they were all in the slam dunk comp. 

Playing football I used to be Montana when slinging the rock or Bo Jackson when toting it so those were what I would say. As I got older of course it turned to Kelly and Thomas. 

Playing basketball everyone called me Paxson so every time the ball left my hand it was "Paxson for three". 

Baseball it was always Canseco or Bonds because I switch hit. Just never got on the juice so I could hit the ball 500ft. 

1 hour ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

I was always confused by this. 

When I was a kid, I was always taught to call my elders "Mr/Mrs whatever their name is" out of respect.

Why do these rules go out the window when talking to athletes and celebrities?

Mr. Crozier with the save! Mr. Roger with the save! .....nope just doesn't work. If I was asking for an autograph as a 10 yr old....it would definitely be " excuse me Mr Crozier may I have your autograph?" 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Today for basketball it is almost always Kobe when you're shooting.

Steph Curry rules for the kids shooting from outside.....driving to the basket it's LeBron.  How about a version of invoking a name......

Lose your helmet......"I just "pulled" a Thurman"

48 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

So when u were at a game as a kid, calling an athlete out for an autograph, you'd say Mr.? Or if you were at an autograph signing? Nope. I've always called my favorite athlete by his first name. Everybody does, regardless of their age. "Hey Bruce, can I get your autograph?" You never said "Hey Mr. Smith, can I get your autograph?"

Even when Mr. Smith went to Washington?

In my youth:

Playing bulldog football in the snow mano a mano it was "Braxton".

Shake n bake in b-ball, "Earl the Pearl"

Edited by Uncle Joe