why aren't the rookies reporting early?

Commish

Some teams have rookies report up to a week early, some - like the Bills - have them report same day as veterans. So what's the catch?  I have to believe that by having rookies report the same day as the veterans, McDermott  is allowed to catch up time with them earlier or later in the pre-season schedule.

3 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

Some teams have rookies report up to a week early, some - like the Bills - have them report same day as veterans. So what's the catch?  I have to believe that by having rookies report the same day as the veterans, McDermott  is allowed to catch up time with them earlier or later in the pre-season schedule.

Some teams had the “rookie week” in minicamp and some have it in TC. Bills had them show up a week early for minicamp.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I know there’s rules behind off/pre season participation, including more practices for teams with new coaching staffs -as we did last year. As far as why not rooks a day or two early this year, I’m pretty sure that’s up to McDermott who obviously thinks his staff prepared the rooks well enough in OTA’s, Rookie Camp & Mini Camp.

9 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Can he practice with no contract? 

Yes.  He signs a contract of participation that guarantees him the amount his contract would have provided, should he get seriously injured before he signs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

McDermott lost the locker room after the San Diego game last year, so they have no respect for the coaching staff and do what they wanna do.

I hear all of our draft picks are studying the playbook with Brady @ the TB12 facility in Foxborough. 

17 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

This contract situation is ridiculous with Allen. The options on terms are so minimal on the current CBA. Why is this taking so long? Ugh

hes prolly waiting for the rookies picked above him

28 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

This contract situation is ridiculous with Allen. The options on terms are so minimal on the current CBA. Why is this taking so long? Ugh

Because agents want to try to show something to clients that they are worth that large percentage even though money is slotted.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Some teams had the “rookie week” in minicamp and some have it in TC. Bills had them show up a week early for minicamp.

Yes.  As I understand it, there are limits on overall number of practices before training camp, and limits on extra practices for rookies.

Within those limits, it's up to the individual teams whether to schedule a rookie minicamp early in OTAs, just before training camp, etc and whether to use up all their OTA time in the spring, or add it on just before training camp (what I think the Ravens are doing).

54 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Because agents want to try to show something to clients that they are worth that large percentage even though money is slotted.

This is probably posted already in another thread, but this BillsWire article from 5th of July explains that 7 of the top 10 picks are unsigned at this point, including Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Barkley, Ward, Smith, and McGlinchy.  According to this report, it is Offset Language that is the sticking point. 

Quentin Nelson has signed, reportedly without offset language but with guaranteed roster bonuses in TC that minimize the impact of no offset language.

56 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I know, this is still such BS.  This process was briefly streamlined for a bit due to the adjustment in rookie contracts.  Now, we are still looking at a bunch of guys around the league not signed days before camp.

Maybe they should just lock in the money in the future and be done with it.

How long after the draft was it before Dahlin became a Buffalo Sabre?  A week or two?

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I know there’s rules behind off/pre season participation, including more practices for teams with new coaching staffs -as we did last year. As far as why not rooks a day or two early this year, I’m pretty sure that’s up to McDermott who obviously thinks his staff prepared the rooks well enough in OTA’s, Rookie Camp & Mini Camp.

...uh oh....the dreaded "camp controversy"?......somehow I doubt this is Dopey Dickie Jauron's "Club Med" on the horizon.....McD knows what he wants and gets what he wants...

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is probably posted already in another thread, but this BillsWire article from 5th of July explains that 7 of the top 10 picks are unsigned at this point, including Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Barkley, Ward, Smith, and McGlinchy.  According to this report, it is Offset Language that is the sticking point. 

Quentin Nelson has signed, reportedly without offset language but with guaranteed roster bonuses in TC that minimize the impact of no offset language.

IMO the offset language issue is stupid.  It is player's agents telling player "if you get cut (not perform so much to be overpaid) then you can go to another team to underperform and get paid on speculation while hurting team which you were overpaid from!